A small tip for NVIDIA users

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by MrBryanF1, Jan 15, 2012.

1. MrBryanF1

MrBryanF1 Registered

My fps in rFactor 2 aren't that good, so I tried a couple of things. These two actually gave me some extra fps and I think it's worth the try.
    - First go to Windows Update and see if there are any updates. If so, install them.
    - Then download the latest beta driver beta driver (290.53) from NVIDIA: http://www.geforce.com/Drivers/Results/40608
    Please check if this version is compatible with your graphics card.

Let me know if it worked and if it made a big difference or not.

2. apex

apex Registered

If you run V-sync try disabling it. That made a significant improvement for me (GeForce 9600GT 1Gb). Also set your Maximum Pre-Rendered Frames to 1 or 0 in your nVidia forceware (Control Panel). That'll focus the load more onto your GPU and also reduce any input lag.

3. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Already tried the latest drivers with my 9600GT and noticed no difference in FPS, 266 drivers actually gave me 5fps more.
    I always get latest updates for Windows, seems some people turn them off and hence need a lot updating and maybe something sped things up but I did'nt notice anything.

4. Jeremy Clyde

Jeremy Clyde Registered

With my 8400 GS (Below minimum requirements I know) I get 25-40 FPS, about 30 in a pitlane, which didn't get affected by a driver update, nor does 'max pre-rendered frames' affect it.

Every FPS helps when you're running it as low as I am, so open to any other ideas people might have of improving performance. The game is playable for the most part, except when i play a night race with 20 AI drivers for example, it drops as low as 20FPS, and gets hard to drive properly.

Also in network games online, my friend always runs slower than I am, even when we both turn the speed limiter on and we max it, I always overtake him. I think it's due to my PC not being able to run the server and game simultaneously.

5. T.G.H. Freaky0Frager

T.G.H. Freaky0Frager Registered

the driver 290.53 improves with me also the FPS.
    but now the game still shows about 100-120 FPS, but the game is cut, more like lags.
    i have a GTX460 g-card.

6. Frosty888

Frosty888 Registered

i love how everyone goes on about big number in fps funny as **** u and i can only c upto i think 30 or 60 frames anyways and sayying that i no with ne new gtx cards like 560 ti range gigabyte and nvidia havesaid straight out that cards are under power due to every hacker on this plannet. the cards are great just under powered because of overclockers and that everyone talks about way i c it if u overclock pc or card well u didnt spend enought moneys in the first place.
    i have a intel 9550 quad core with a gtx560 ti running also 32 bit windows wow i get only 3.2 of it wich u dont need anymore makes no diffrence i would say try this. use a program called msi afterburnner turn ya core volatge up to 10.75 and u should c a massive inprovement in card just core voltage but keep and eye on temps jumps over 70 drop it a touch.
    in rf2 i use this on a 24 in pc screen not tv with pc slot u lose quailty yes they have pc slots on tvs but u lose quailty due to size of tv sli it u will have no problems .now in game 24 inch screen running everything on high hdr screen res at 1920 x 1080 and i get a with a any struggle in world wet track 20 cars no problems online or ofline hope it helps but just turn ya core voltage up if u got a new card they are way under powered due to overclockers who cant help them selfs

7. Jeremy Clyde

Jeremy Clyde Registered

If we only saw 30FPS our life would be very choppy, thats what the N64 ran at.

All Video game Consoles (PS3, 3DS, 360) run at 60FPS, which is what most TV's support (some go up to 75FPS).

Although if you wanted to put forward a good argument, speaking properly would have helped.

Even if we could only see 60FPS, the eye works differently to what a computer screen may work, you can't work it out as simply as that. Noone knows how fast is too fast, some say that if you are in the Cinema watching a film thats running at 120FPS, you'd get headaches much quicker than the normal speed. Some say that as the eye does not see 'frames' and instead a continuous flow of light etc. that it is simply impossible to work out how 'fast' we see things.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2012
  8. kleanphil

kleanphil Registered

i even saw that coming and i can only see 20 fps at this time of night

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2012
  9. DeM

DeM Registered

Bahhaha ha, that was bloody funny.
    Seriously thank you for the info Jeremy , good explanations

10. Mitt Wilson

Mitt Wilson Registered

11. Spadge

Spadge Registered

12. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

Human eyes don't exactly see in strict "FPS" for starters, it's much more complicated than that. 30 fps is about the bare minimum for us to perceive smooth motion.

And while I can't claim I can see the difference between 60fps and 100 or more FPS on a normal LCD monitor just by looking at it (because they're locked to 60Hz after all, usually), I can usually feel the difference when playing myself. Everything feels smoother, even if it looks the same.