i7 CPU 930 2.8Ghz processor running at 81 degrees celcius

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by robrace, Jan 15, 2012.

1. robrace

robrace Registered

Hi
    Core1 is running at 81degrees celcius with most graphic settings on high and 29 AI Megane components at Malaysia.
    Has anyone experience this problem?

With all settings max and 29 AI components in rFactor the temperature is about 65 degrees only so I wonder what is causing this huge increase.

Thanks for your help.

2. NightnDay

NightnDay Registered

that´s pretty high for cpu isn´t it?

3. xTr3me

xTr3me Registered

81 degrees are quite high, should be between 50-60 degrees ;)

4. mikeyk1985

mikeyk1985 Registered

I think quite high is an understatement. I think my pc is set up to automatic shut down with anything above 70 degrees, think there is a real risk of destroying your cpu. I personally run my pc with one of the side panels removed all the time, you have to watch out for dust but when you don't have a case that dissipates heat well it's the only option.

5. Davy TASB

Davy TASB Registered

Sounds like some more thermal paste is needed on the CPU.

6. xTr3me

xTr3me Registered

or a new cpu cooler.

7. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

you need some quality paste and a good cooler. that temp is way out of line.

8. Heikki360

Heikki360 Registered

I played Skyrim during hours (and hours and hours and hours, you know what Skyrim is) at 99ºC and i had no problem at all, then i built a new cooler system for my PC. Obviously it's not recommended, but it's not the end of the world. Nevertheless you should buy some new fans.

9. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

50 - 60 is actually a very old figure. In the era of Athlon XP systems and similar 50 - 60 was a good guide but anything under 80 isn't that worth worrying about now - anything under 70 for long periods and you're fine. Rfactor, however, cannot be responsible for your heating issue - the only way games generate heat is by getting the processor to work close to its capacity and that's what's happening. You simply need better cooling as others have stated. The absolute failure temperature of a CPU is now around 100 degrees where it used to be much lower, though that's not a safe constant running temperature.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2012
  10. Gabkicks

Gabkicks Registered

What cpu cooler, case fan, and ambient temps do you have? with my Xigmatek Dark knight and a overclock of 4ghz on my i7 920, i dont get temps anywhere near that high.

blow the dust out of your heatsink/fan/case, reseat the heatsink with some thermal compound.

11. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Removing side panel can actually increase the heat in some other area, which may cause more problems, that is if case airflow is anything what it should be.

One fan taking air in at front, lower part of case and one fan below psu blowing out should be minimum so there would be constant cooling.

With laptops there is always going to be heat issues, so if using laptop I think 70-80 at high load is normal when more of cpu is utilized. Rfactor 1 is probably not causing enough load to cpu for it to heat up so much.

I don't think that my Core 2 Duo is ever hitting even 50, there is opening at sidepanel where cpu fan takes air from and case exhaust fan is right next to cpu cooler which is stock intel, whole computer is build for silent running, so good airflow path was a must to make. Case temps are not increasing during long time high load more than 1-2 celcius as all hot air is blowed out. I don't consider PSU as exhaust fan as it would just start making noise when there is hotter air going in to PSU, that is also why I have that rear exhaust fan as well as front intake fan.

Then of course thermal paste can be one culprint, but if using original Intel cooler I don't think that would be an issue very easily.

12. MarcusarilliuS_IRL

MarcusarilliuS_IRL Registered

It's always advisable to stay around 30 degrees from tj max so that's around 70. I would never let it go over that.
    60-70 is what you should be aiming at under load on air, less on liquid.
    The op's chip is only running @ 2.8 so that shouldn't be getting anywhere near those temps. I'd say remove chip, clean with pure alcohol and lint free cloth, then reapply thermal paste(get good paste like arctic silver) then reseat cooler.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2012
  13. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

i52500k @ 4.8ghz - 25c 77f idle and 30c 84f after 30 minutes of playing rFactor 2. using H50 water cooler I got for $40 on ebay.

View attachment 634

14. tweaq

tweaq Registered

how many volts tho - i wound mine back .2ghz from my max oc on this but can run nearly std voltage which keeps the temps down. i wouldnt worry about very low 80's too much on air, but being watercooled id be looking at your block or radiator tho seems too high for a proper running water setup.

15. antoinel12

antoinel12 Registered

Well this temp could be OK.

Before I had a new case, with my old ThermalTake V4, my i7 950 was hitting 82c playing battlefield badcompany 2 with a Corsair H70 cooler. HyperTreathing and TurboMode activated.

The thing can be explained because rFactor use more core than rFactor 1 which was a single core application.

You could try to get a better ventilation of the case or a better cooler. If you have the stock one, it would explain the heat. With the same A70 but a new Corsair 500R my CPU temp drop to 59C playing the same games.

I would however not worry for 80C temp for a i7 Bloomfield. Treshold level is near 100C and at this temp it should shutdown by itself...

16. markcooka

markcooka Registered

With my i7 950 @3.4 mhz and h-70 cooler im getting 59c after rf2 play .The hottest ive seen mine is at 77c while running prime95 stress test .
    As someone suggested first thing i would do is give the case a good clean out get rid of dust build up and if that does not work i would redo thermal paste .