Another Tip until things get fixed + tip for ISI

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by jajp999, Jan 15, 2012.

1. jajp999

jajp999 Registered

Despite my system I still have stuttering issues and like a lot of other here all my system is not being used (CPU and GPU never above 70%)

So until the ISI guys fix it (and remember this is a Beta so these things are totally acceptable ;) ) here is another tip I now use to keep my FPS above 60 to avoid the stutter issue in the opening laps of a race.

Open you PLR and change the
    Rearview_Back_Clip="0.00000" // Back plane distance for mirror (0.0 = use default for scene)

to
    Rearview_Back_Clip="80.00000" // Back plane distance for mirror (0.0 = use default for scene)

Whilst this does give some clipping - it boosts the framerate and seems to make the stutter less (but prob just due to the frame rate boost)

ISI guys...... iRacing implemented a system where only one mirror was updated and rendered each frame. (eg Frame 1 = left mirror, Frame 2 = Right mirror etc etc ).
    Also you should have a PLR option for the max vehicles drawn in the mirrors. There is little point to having over 3 cars closest to you being drawn in the mirror IMO

Cheers

Heres hoping for some performance boost in the next beta :)
    JP

2. GauchoRS

GauchoRS Registered

+1

as mentioned we need options to reduce details in mirror, but it should be possible from menu.
    a key should be provided to toggle one center virtual mirror on and all real mirrors off.

3. MarcG

MarcG Registered

thanks for the tip, I get about 3-4fps extra from this. I still think a Clipping Forward option should be included as well to help with FPS so you can cut out as much Distance as desirable.

4. chuckyeager

chuckyeager Registered

After many tests i'm sure that the major stuttering comes from the shadows!
    It was already the case with rfactor 1. There was a dll that improved the situation called d3d2 or something, don't know what's wrong with that, really a shame because it seems to handle well every other aspects like HDR, reflexions etc...
    I remember it was with nvidia cards only, an outsider expertise, a tech spy would be a key asset to solve this issue ISI
    It was related to the way nvidia card handle shader but i know little about that, you should hire this guy ISI

5. SaS

SaS Registered

Apart from the shadows, rear view mirrors are the real FPS killers. When I turn them OFF, I get 50% boost in FPS, from 80 to steady 120 FPS even with AA level 2.

6. steviejb

steviejb Registered

I'm running a ATI Radeon HD 6850 and turning off shadows has stopped the massive (from 50-60 fps down to 10-15 fps) random drop in fps I was getting. Still can't explain why this massive drop came on after the installation of Windows 7 SP1.

7. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Thanks for the feedback. Mirrors were a little late in the priorities, the forward view came first. Definitely some optimization to be done still.

8. aldrew

aldrew Registered

All of a sudden I am having problems with suttering, frame rates going up and down, going from 50 to 9 on certain points at Monte Carlo. The game was working pretty good, then I read a thread about updating the video driver and a beta version 12.1a (I think) for the ATI CCC. I downloaded the beta and I could not get the game to work on any track, it would not go above 10 fps and it was more than stuttering, it was jumping, there was a major lag (I am not sure if that is right terminology) I tried everything even resorting to a system restore to a point before I updated the driver for the ATI car. I ultimately unistalled the game twice and reinstalled it and I still cannot get the game to play like it did on original install. I start off with decent fps 50 or so, but as I leave the pits at Monte Carlo with no other cars, the FPS dropps big time then goes back up. I then start driving and as I reach the first crest for a left bend, the fps drops to 9 and there is a major lag.

I am lost as to what to do. My system is
    i7 920 overclocked to 4ghz
    ATI HD 5800
    12 ram
    Windows 7 (fully updated)
    Triplehead2go with 3 monitors

Not sure if installing the beta version of the ATI driver installed something that I don't know of or how to remove it.

9. baked bean

baked bean Registered

hi chaps, how do i open the player.plr ? i can open the controller plr and edit bits, bot not the player.plr, seems i dont have the programe to open it i duno. sorry im useless with computers so any help will be appriciated. thnx

10. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Right-Click player.plr
    select Open With...
    then select Notepad
    tick the "Always use this program" box and then OK
    job done!

11. baked bean

baked bean Registered

thanks marcg :)