ISI Anti-Aliasing Levels and How They Relate to Video Card Driver AA Levels

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by otta56, Jan 15, 2012.

1. otta56

otta56 Registered

Could someone from ISI clarify what the in-game AA levels mean in relation to video card AA levels from AMD and Nvidia?

For instance:

(Nvidia GeForce 285.62)
    ISI Level 1 = Nvidia 2X ?
    Level 2 = Nvidia 4X ?
    Level 3 = Nvidia 8X CSSA ?
    Level 4 = Nvidia 8X ?
    Level 5 = Nvidia 16X CSSA ?
    Level 6 = Nvidia 16xQ CSSA ?
    Level 7 = Nvidia 32X CSSA ?
    Level 8 = Nvidia ???

AMD ?

Thanks

2. MaBo974

MaBo974 Registered

I'm interested too. I hope ISI is not using supersampling for AA.

3. epc1

epc1 Registered

yeah tell us please

4. MaBo974

MaBo974 Registered

5. LowRider

LowRider Registered

6. TechAde

TechAde Registered

I think the ISI AA levels correspond to the AA slider in your GPU control panel (which in turn depends on which driver version you are running).

For example, on this machine I see 8 levels in the Catalyst Control Centre and 8 levels in rF Config, however another machine here only has 3 levels in the CCC and 3 levels in rF Config.

1 person likes this.
  7. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

Ask for a refund.

8. Navigator

Navigator Registered

What kind of BS is this? The guy asks a normal question!?!!
    Are you just here to pick a fight, mess up the forum, destroy the atmosphere or do you just want to have a lot of posts by your name and is that the reason you put in about 4 nonsense words in a vary of topics?
    Lets keep it decent here, we are all lovers of the game right?

9. hushypushy

hushypushy Registered

Yeah, I think this is right.

I have a AMD 6870, and rF gives me Level 1-3. In the CCC I see 2x, 4x, and 8x. I assume they correlate directly?

10. Duvel

Duvel Registered

This is correct, it will be whatever your graphic drivers are, with level 1 always being 2xAA, and then up from there in order. I believe you may have to avoid the ones called 2xEQ as i don't think they work. On a 6970, that would be level 2, 4, and 6.

11. bigtabs

bigtabs Registered

I hope they do incorporate SSAA as an option. It looks way better than the standard AA solution that's currently in place.

12. TonyRickard

TonyRickard Registered

I think that was a little joke!

13. MaBo974

MaBo974 Registered

I agree with you if it available as an option but not as the default or the only AA method. I think you know SSAA needs a lot of GPU works (though it give the best result) compared to MSAA. That's why both nVidia and ATI abandoned it.

14. Duvel

Duvel Registered

The problem is that SS shouldn't look that much better than normal MSAA, there is something very wrong aobut how ISI do AA, period. So what you really want is for ISI to correct the issue, then you most likely won't need SSAA.

And it's a fact that SS kills frame rates. It's nice for really old games (like RF1), but not for new titles.

15. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

If you have an Nvidia card, "enhance application" is the magic setting.

What it does: It uses the game code as to when and where AA is applied, but you set the level and type of AA.

So you set you specific level and type of AA you would like, but you're not forcing it on the game.

It gives you great AA quality with complete compatibility with the game.

16. taufikp

taufikp Registered

SSAA (super sampling anti-aliasing) is the oldest method in the book, and the most expensive process, especially at 4x or higher. Even at 2x, a full screen SSAA can reduce your FPS by 5-6 frames (depends on screen resolution and scene complexity, the higher the bigger the reduction).

Titles such as DiRT 3, F1 2011, iRacing, FIFA 2011, all can get benefits of 4x MSAA (multi sampling). With those titles I can get good graphic quality without sacrificing graphic performance at 1280x720 using 4x MSAA.

This is my test method for rFactor 2: If you have a 1960 Formula in front of your car, then the engine detail should look clearly defined, not blurred.

I can achieve that at 1680x1050 and 1920x1080 4xMSAA or 2xSSAA. At 1280x720, the engine detail is lost. Even at 1440x900 the engine detail is not good.

I'm guessing rFactor 2 graphic library (gMotor) needs an update (or further optimization) just like its physics library (pMotor).

But I agree with ISI decision that physics updates should be delivered first. Because of that, what we have now is already beyond expectation.

17. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

MSAA works brilliantly on every single title on my ATI rig, racing sim and otherwise, except rFactor and now rFactor2. I am very impressed with most of this beta, but the carry-over situation from rFactor where graphics settings even at high res require SSAA to not give you headache while driving was truly shocking and disappointing. It MUST be fixed ASAP and certainly for the final!

18. THracing

THracing Registered

The problem with ATI is that when you use SSAA you will get a substantial hit on fps because of the fact that everything is supersampled. Nvidia has a smarter solution where you can use transparency aa on transparent & semitransparent objects like fences or trees. You can set up to 8 x transparency aa which make a huge difference for better performance and IQ.

I don't think ISI are the bad guys here...

19. dice65

dice65 Registered

i also have a ati card , 6970 , i get anywhere from 100 to 300 fps , no matter what i change for AA it just dont give me the look i get in all other games , race 07 looks awesome and never ever do i get any studdering in that game , it runs so smooth , what ever simbin does isi should take notes !

20. taufikp

taufikp Registered

Actually,

nVidia's Transparency AA = ATI's Adaptive Multi Sampling AA

nVidia is using more correct term than ATI though, because this anti-aliasing is done in alpha (transparency) channel. ATI's term "Adaptive AA" is confusing.