I'm working on a Stock Car Mod.

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Kristoff Rand, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

2. Edgar Herrero

Edgar Herrero Registered

Looking good! :)

3. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

thanks guys... looking at all this rF2 documentation is really nice. it's great to have step by step instructions. looking forward to seeing some tire deformation on a circle track.

4. daredbarn

daredbarn Registered

I would feel fairly certain that the Stock Car Evolution(SCE) team is probably working on something. I helped do a little testing and did some technical research years ago when Bill first strarted it up. They have always had a good thing going, I just kind of got away from because the AI and rules packages were lacking. The online stuff was fun at the time though. It just didn't meet all my requirements.

The question that I would love to see answered is what the rules package they have entails. In RF1, they did a partial rules package but it's really simplistic and missing a lot, definetely more so in the case of the NASCAR series rules. I have been waiting around to see if they ever release some details, but I have yet to see a .rfm tutorial or anything explaining what is in there already or what is possibly in the plans down the road.

I have had rFactor 2 since it was available, I just haven't activated it yet because I have been waiting around to see how the stockcar stuff is going to work to be honest. The AI looks promising(ability to run different lines and such), but I just haven't heard yet whether the support will be there to make a good stock car mod. If all works out, I would love to get back into it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2012
  5. Joel.Brown

Joel.Brown Registered

The SCE team is actively working on our next version plus working on updating our stockcar mod to rFactor2. We could always use good people, especially in moddling and graphics. You can contact me at joel.brown@cox.net if you're interested.

www.StockCarEvolution.com

6. daredbarn

daredbarn Registered

My appologies for straying off topic a bit for this question

Meant to go over there and ask on the SCE website. Are you the same "Joel" from 3-4 years ago that was helping Bill Bollinger with the mod? Always knew the guy over there as "Joel" but never knew a last name.

And to the original poster, I would definetely look at possibly giving these guys a hand. They are one of the true modding groups for stock car mods that are legit and using their own work...they deserve the help if you don't want to go at it alone or start your own group.

7. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

Hey Joel what's up? long time no see... it's Krisidious.

yeah SCE rocked... haven't kept up with them in some time. we'll have to catch up.

8. machine

machine Registered

Thanks. And on the tracks. Lots of work has gone into modelling the tracks much closer to real than any rFactor tracks existing. Currently looking for ways to convert track gmt content especially to new gmt format. It's proving difficult to find anything useful. I use a combination of BTB, 3dsimed, sketchup and PSP for texturing. Yeah, basic tools, but it's stretching my head to get around them let alone, learn MAX.

We welcome anyone to come over to SCE and help out. Welcome to PM me, or Joel.

9. mschreiner

mschreiner Registered

give us a shout! We are finishing up our 2012 release for rF1 and then moving on to rF2.
    It takes a lot of work to get things done the right way!

2.jpg

10. SmokinJo65

SmokinJo65 Registered

Wow that screen shot looks great and I love running around the track NASCAR style, many of days I spent with iRacing driving those and the trucks. I have heard though that ISI oval racing code sucks though but how could it be the code, I thought a modder has access to do whatever he wants, make it loose and so forth.

I think the thing I like the most is the availability of different manufacturer's unlike iracing with stupid Chevy only, how stupid, SCE with close to iRacing car physics and you'd be set.

11. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

iR=60 physics calculations per second

rF2=100 physics calculations per second.

Enough said. ;)

12. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

those are some good looking nationwides.

we couldn't figure out a way to get independent toe in and toe out on the front end in rF1 and that's really needed for racing stockcars on an oval realistically. I have another post where I ask if it's being implemented or if there is currently a way.

13. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Fixed it for you. :p

14. nike23osu

nike23osu Registered

Those numbers could be 1000 to 60....if the rules are horrible and the netcode sucks with herky jerky movements then the numbers dont matter. Time will tell tho :cool:

15. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Not sure what you mean by rules but yes bad netcode does ruin the experience. Online issues were mentioned in the known issues readme which is the reason why I haven't gone online very much with the beta. To be honest though stock car mods have always been sub par in rF. That is why I"m a huge TSF fan. The physics engine is excellent but if it's all a guessing game well you'll end up with crap. TSF knows their physics and has THE best netcode.

16. nike23osu

nike23osu Registered

Well for starts things like having 2 pace laps at over 100mph then slowing down to 45 or 60 in the last quarter of the track just before the restart.

I truely hope you are not referencing TSF as The Sim Factory and ARCA Sim Racing....

17. mschreiner

mschreiner Registered

The net code is not bad in rF1. The physics were not the problem either if you know what you are doing. You have to take the time to design them properly. The biggest problem people had were the in game rules for stockcars not being correct.

I have gone back to our early stuff from 6 years ago and compaired it to our next release and there is no comparison, as we have figured out how to do things right, instead of geussing at stuff to make it feel like it should.

Now if we can get ISI to implement our requests to make Stockcar racing better for rF2 I truely believe it will attract a huge crowd that does not like paying monthly fees and content fees to race everything. I will continue our efforts to get this material included but we need the support of those that want it as well.

Here's to the NASCAR (Stockcar) fans out there! Cheers! :cool:

Mike

Here is another Screen for you all....
    RumbleBee.jpg

18. mschreiner

mschreiner Registered

Here is some of the CUP cars too.

SCE_43_STP.jpg
    SCE_48K.jpg
    SCE_2.jpg
    SCE_56.jpg

19. fanlebowski

fanlebowski Registered

very nice work here, congratulations.

about "stockcar" rules :
    did you check in this beta if there is something better /rf1 ?

about physics :
    i'm pretty sure there were some pretty good mods on rf1. but i play often NR2003 and sometimes iRacing and honnestly, even if i like rf1 for many reasons, i never find the beginning of fun i have on others games. tyres model + rf FFB style are not stockcar compatible, IMO.

but with this new tire model (and ffb) i think something very cool can be done. i have no data about this kind of tire, and i'm far far away to understand the ttool at this moment, but you i'll help if i can and if you want ;)

bye

20. Bill Zimmerman

Bill Zimmerman Registered

Not sure where you got those numbers, and I do not think RF2 has even posted their sampling rates anywhere? In general, if you wanted to try and comparitively equate in semblence to one another, I believe sampling at 360 Hz in physics and 60 Hz in steering was indicated in the other product before. RF was approximately 800 Hz or so in physics and 110 Hz in steering. ASR is slightly more sophisticated in physics. It appears the latest update to the other software increased their complexity in physics, not sure if their sampling was changed though. Not sure if this is helpful to you or not, just seeing if I understood what you were trying to convey. :)