LAN Testing Errors

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Slothman, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Slothman

Slothman Registered

Ok.

We had a small LAN weekend to test some functionality. Not sure if this has been posted or where its meant to go but here it is.

- LAN is not seperate.

When ticking the Local Connection in the bottom left it makes no difference and still pulls up all of the online servers....which is a good thing because....

- Dedicated Server needs interenet connection for LAN play.

However once connected LAN speeds and pings are achieved.

It woul dbe nice to filter out only local servers in the future.

Also, and this relates to more than just the LAN.

We setup a dedicated server and selected only F3 cars.

Problem is when we could select our cars all cars where still available. If you selected an F1 or F2 you would get kicked without any real information.

Is there any way to see limitations on the server??

2. zemaniac

zemaniac Registered

interesting thread!

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I suspect ticking this might change slightly how the client connects to the server, rather than filtering out internet servers. In rF1 connecting via the full server list often didn't work; you had to change the list mode to LAN and connect via that. rF2 has an obvious difference, because as you say :

Which is very much a design choice, and got debated a lot a few weeks ago, but it seems a healthy compromise between ease of use and avoiding 'unpaid LANs'.

4. Slothman

Slothman Registered

Lazza. Tested that with the LAn Connection method. I unticked it and it connected through as though it where "online" connected like every other method I tried and still gave me good LAN pings. So no real issue there, its still LAN specific but most of the objections rise from your second point.

It was initially confirmed by one of the ISI guys that 1) Dedicated Server did not need a license 2) Dedicated Server for LAN did not need net connection.

I fully understand that clients needed it, which is why we had the net connection there, otherwise how would we connect.

So after doing some reading I reckon its because the server had to check with MM for this MODID system. Ok that is fine, but initially it would not need a net connection.

Right what does that mean for a LAN :)

- Make sure the router is now secured and no ports are open. Make sure the server is secured with AV protection and all clients. What we used to do is tell people, SCAN THE PC FOR CONNECTING, disable security or firewalls. If you want to leave them on, you deal with connection issues. Now there is no choice there.

So if we have to leave the server connected we also have to make sure either we password the server so others cannot join on our dodgy basic connection for authentication purposes or make sure the Ports are disabled and luckily they dont effect the LAN connections. Password a LAN server in a mates room.........seriously??

So yeh, no issue with clients Authenticating, love the idea, but the fact the server now needs to connect for this MODID system.....not so cool.

As for LAN connection not really being functional (well it didnt appear that way) if there is an option in an INI that I could not find, brilliant, what is it :)

Even if a filter was provided so when that box was ticked it only listed local machines........

5. Slothman

Slothman Registered

Not real complaints here, just things that might need attention later on for convenience sake, because with my issues with Mod Packaging the other night just so we could try to use the Megane at the other Mills Layout, trust me...convenience needs to rear its head somewhere :)

6. jwambach

jwambach Registered

I believe the problem with all the cars still being selectable is related to the server exe not actually applying the filter correctly. When I selected a filter and added it to the list, it did not effect the actual list of available vehicles.

Regarding the filtering of LAN games, somewhere I saw an option to "bookmark" a server, maybe it would be possible to have that as a filter in the client in the same fashion as "hide password protected" servers? (only show bookmarked, etc)

7. Slothman

Slothman Registered

Yep saw that Bookmark when logged on to the server, same area as sending setups.

That will get around it for know.