rF2 incompatibility with Bodnar cable

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by brabham67, Jan 15, 2012.

1. brabham67

brabham67 Registered

A few of us guys use the Bodnar cable from Leo Bodnar. It is a USB adapter that allows you to connect the pedals to the computer separately and also increases the resolution of the pedals(from 256 steps to 1024 steps).

Despite what we are seeing in the Controller settings window, that the input is received from the controller properly, when on track a steady 25% pedal pressure causes the rev to build until they hit the limiter. Obviously this make fine throttle control virtually impossible.

More users have posted in this thread >> http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/2475-Pedal-problem-so-sensative-makes-sim-unplayable

In the mean time I will try to make a new controller profile to see if I can eliminate the issue.

P.S. Windows calibration shows the pedals move linearly through their entire range as well.

EDIT: Ok, this may not be an rF2 issue. I have tested this in a few other games(rF1, GTL, iRacing) and the behavior is the same.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2012
  2. Boyd

Boyd Registered

I too have the Bodnar cable. It doesn't do this. Very odd behaviour, let us know if you find out what's causing it?

3. Dangerous Beans

Dangerous Beans Registered

Well stone me your right.
    I have to admit I havnt done much racing for a long time, mostly been flying in FSX and RoF.
    I mostly used the Bodner cable with Win XP and never noticed a problem there but now I use Win 7 64bit so maybe that has something to do with it.

4. Axeslayer

Axeslayer Registered

I'm using Windows Vista Premium 64bit
    Wheel works fine with iRacing and Grid , the only two racing games I play at the moment , have used it with other racing games in the past but never noticed this problem before .
    Tried with a Xbox controller and it works fine as you would expect .
    To me it looks like rFactor is treating the first 256 values as the full range of the peddle .

5. Gabi Almeida

Gabi Almeida Registered

Maybe you bodnar cable is ok.

I realise that every time i get out of rfactor2 my wheel degrees get stuck at the rotation of the car i was running.

In profiler i have my wheel to 900 but if i get out of rfactor2 and degrees are at 418 there, when i enter iracing my wheel is set to 418, i have to go to profiler (it is at 900 there) and have to click ok again (in profiler).

I guess when you get out of rfactor2 the wheel and (maybe) pedal configuration don´t get reset by it self.

6. brabham67

brabham67 Registered

I think you may be right. I initially tested it in the pits and a 25% pedal position does indeed cause the rev to climb to red line. The effect isn't nearly as noticeable on track when the engine is under load. It is however still there. Everything I'm seeing in Windows and in rF2 shows the pedals functioning normally, so either this is a issue with the game or an issue with the cable. I'm stumped.

A quick fix might be to lower the sensitivity slightly, but I haven't tried it yet and it might make things worse. For what it's worth the Megane isn't as effected by this problem, the Classic F1 cars though..... oh boy!!

7. brabham67

brabham67 Registered

Are you using the profiler to set game specific settings? I have done this and I don't have that issue with the wheel.

8. Gabi Almeida

Gabi Almeida Registered

Yes using the game specific setting.

Oh well it´s a beta lol

I know things will be sorted out.

9. skeemo

skeemo Registered

I have the exact same issues. Didn't noticed it in the first days, but as i read this thread i can verify the issues with the 1024 values not being mapped. This is not only for the throttle but also for the brakes, which now explains to me while i lock the brakes so easy :-/

Hope there will be a fix soon, as this is a really BIG flaw, taking away much of the fun i had in the first days..........

10. cluj

cluj Registered

11. Axeslayer

Axeslayer Registered

Already done but did try it again after having the problem .

12. brabham67

brabham67 Registered

Same here. No change to what happens on the track unfortunately.

13. Dangerous Beans

Dangerous Beans Registered

I tried that too, no change.
    Also tried the clear calibration program available from Logitech, no change.

14. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Guys,

As this seems to be a Win7 related issue, what is it you would need rF2 to do to work properly? I'll send Terence here. :)

Thanks,

Tim.

15. websherpa

websherpa Registered

I haven't received my cables yet to test this, but it has me worried now... Is it something that should be addressed by Bodnar?

16. Axeslayer

Axeslayer Registered

Works fine in Iracing and Rf1 for me and many others a far as I know only rF2 seems to have this problem

17. Terence Groening

Terence Groening Registered

Have you tried using the "Set Min" (with foot off the pedal) and "Set Max" (with pedal all the way down) buttons on the CONTROLS page in the UI? Otherwise, the range is simply whatever Windows/DirectInput tells us it is.

18. Axeslayer

Axeslayer Registered

Tried that a few times , no joy .

19. Axeslayer

Axeslayer Registered

Fixed it . WOOT . simple , just deleted my plr file started rF then set up the controllers again but without using the detect controller option , set min and max the same as before but now its the same on track as in set up . Finally can enjoy the game .

20. brabham67

brabham67 Registered

Sweet, I will try this and report back.

EDIT: Hmmm... Nothing changed for me, but it is still very much drivable. I'll experiment some more.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2012