rFactor2 - different animal

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jimcarrel, Jan 15, 2012.

1. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

After installing the Beta, I decided to add rFactor1 experiences to the setup. Naturally it didn't work. I should have left all the original install alone and tried it out first.

I messed with the FFB multiplier (which totally screwed up the FFB.) I messed with the graphic options, setting most to low or medium. I had a stutter here and there. (code is not totally optimized yet)

After totally futzing up the install I uninstalled and re-installed.

I set the FFB multiplier to 1.
    Left graphic options alone ( they were mostly full or high).

FFB is great, Graphics are mighty fine -- the surprising thing is , I still have the same minor stutter here and there.
    (I run a Logitech DFGT)
    I've seen complaints here and there posted. (they are only natural I guess)

Point is --> its a beta!
    DCS (Digital Combat Sims) offered access to a beta for DCS A10 (it was for a pre-pay of official release). It was rough going thru the first couple of release candidates. About the 4th release, Code was very much optimized and framerates of 20 - 30% were gained.

I'm excited about what we have at the outset with the rFactor2 beta. I have no complaints whatsoever with the current build (as a beta release). If you have participated in a beta release before, then you can imagine the good things to come. If you haven't, then relax! It's a beta!

1 person likes this.
  2. UFAModding

UFAModding Registered

Yes exactly, it's a beta. rFactor 2 will get smoother and there are a few features yet to be implemented as far as I am aware. I think it's great on ISI's part to offer an open beta. More gaming companies should follow ISI's lead and do this rather than release half tested, buggy as hell games. I can see why ISI is the leader in their field, they have the right ideas and the knowledge and technology to back it up.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2012
  3. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

Another small tip - I forgot that I use Gamebooster, when I can remember it. It helps a lot, did I say a LOT?

4. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

Allot of companies have done it before , It depends on the product , size of the development team , size of market , advertising budget and many other factors as to if a preoder + beta access is a good thing to do.

Most people even enthusiastic gamers are not accustom to software development ( understandably) and will build there expectations feel and how they think / will talk about a product on there first impressions. If you work in creative fields you will be very used to seeing things be a complete dog but in the last months and sometimes days finally come together into something you feel half secure in showing off. But there will be many people that will not appreciate how far something can develop in such a short period of time.

I think often by showing of a product during its more early development it will for many users brake the magic and have a negative impact on the product and the products sales.

Having said that many products are suited to public beta releases with the community happy to see the product evolve and often by having a beta the community can feel more involved with the product and have more loyalty to it.

With Rf2 Its obviously a community driven product and so it does really make sense to do an early release in this case it seems to me that the beta is mostly for the modders rather than the general community.

Going by the forums it seems to me that the only negative from this beta is that allot of users were expecting a more full and feature complete beta.

I think the communication for the beta release could have maybe being done in a way to better communicate how early of a beta this is and that it is more an alpha then a beta and that it was more a version for modders to get to grips with the new format and to test some basic aspects of the product.

Saying that regardless of what ISI did and how well they communicated it there would still be confusion in the user base lol , Its almost imposable to win :)

As ISI update the game and the polish goes on I think even the more dishartend beta members will start to come more on-board and ISI have a fantastic potential to develop that loyalty from its members I was talking about.

Sorry about the essay :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2012