Test track for anyone to use

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by mianiak, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

It keeps poping up with wrong way , what do i do to fix this ? :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2012
  2. mianiak

mianiak Registered

The reason why your getting wrong way is because it has no AIW file, it's probably best to turn off flag rules.
    This track is not about driving on or racing on or anything like that, it's simply just an example for anyone to use if they are stuck with their track, it's not meant to actually be used :D

But I admire your hands on approach. It could do with an AIW file, because I made it a complete circuit instead of just a section, so that people can run AI on it and see the real road build up. I just hadn't got around to it yet. Your welcome to make an aiw and share it with everyone.

And that question your about to ask me, the answer is no :p , I don't know how the AIW editor works, I always get a friend of mine to make AIW for my tracks. But I'd guess it is similar to rf1, so if you go over to the rfactor 2005 forum and look in the tracks subsection for a guide on AIW and that should get you started.

3. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

I just hope ISI releases track viewer as soon as possible. It's worky business to fire up rF2 dev mode every time, drive rFTrainer to correct position, swing camera around and try to found out if edit was success... ;)

RealRoad looks so much different than rF1 track surface in the past. I'm still having trouble to identify (from dev mode), if my texture mapping is good or not... :D

Cheers!

4. mianiak

mianiak Registered

Why not use freecam? (end key) just edit the controller.ini and set forward speed to 200 and add shift to slow the movement down. That way you can move fast then when you want to manoeuvre slow, hold shift.

Freemove Forward Speed="200.00000" // Freemove Forward speed.
    Freemove Down Speed="20.00000" // Freemove Down speed.
    Freemove Right Speed="20.00000" // Freemove Right speed.

5. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

Yep, freecam is one option. Mostly I miss ability to test (quickly) different lightning enviroments for realroad and reflections.

Maybe firing up track to AIW editor will give me option to do it..?

This is not a major problem. With scracth build track I have my hands full for other tasks... ;)

Cheers!

6. elwood

elwood Registered

lol, i like this way. Sound a bit sadic but itsn't imo. It's funny and 'invite' modders to be well informed, before asking.

7. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

Yep, one certain difference from rF1...

I'm with you, elwood. Much better way to learn... ;)

8. mianiak

mianiak Registered

There s also an error with the reflection that I never got around to fixing, thought I'd leave it in there too to see if anyone noticed it. If you open the track in mod mode and open the road controls, turn on the reflection and look at the walls on the corners as the road inclines.

9. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

With the textures you alredy have in your file can i simply add more textures to the multi sub object and go from there ?

allso will the textures autimaticaly export and be linked in that file that lis

cheers

10. mianiak

mianiak Registered

You can add what ever you like.

No, you have to organise your textures yourself. The best thing to do is have a maps directory that only has your used textures in it, any psd's or constructing of textures should go in work folder.

Something tells me that your going the full hog with this, are you planning on building it up and releasing it as a track? If so post some screen shots so I can see what you have done :)

11. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

Lol wasn't expecting you to be awake ( just realized your in Australia I was reading it as Austria all this time lol)

I put the Texture in your file with your textures saved as DDS I added some more textures to the multi sub object , for some resoin my texture just comes up as black in max ( shows as normal in windows and photoshop ) the texture is just 1 layer and I prity much exsported it as defult , in terms of DDS settings. am I missing something?

Sure I will upload the track when its done lol so long as you help me get to that piont :p do you have msn so i can pester you ?

The help is really appreciated !

Works now:)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2012
  12. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/5856/examplef.jpg

thats how its showing :)

seems to be working now I think max just got stuck and wasn't updating it for some reason

A seperate issue im having is working out where the player starts and why ( i asumed the player car started on one of those planes with that was named as a marker pit marker or start marker ) but the player is not starting on any of them and there is no 3d object in 3ds max where the player does start

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2012
  13. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

Lol its showing in the texture viewer but not in the scene , evan though I have other textures in the sceene and ~I have display in view port selected .

14. mianiak

mianiak Registered

Just to get a bit of terminology sorted out so it's easier for me to understand you.
    You don't add textures to the multisub, you add sub materials (in this case gmotor material (gmat)), then you add textures to the sub mat's.

When you load the texture in, up above where it says gmat, there are buttons, click the forth one in from the right, this will show the texture in the viewport, sometimes you need to click refresh (next to the button you use to load the image) to get it to show properly.

Then you select your object, and go into poly submode, select all the faces you want that material on, and in the material id rollout type in the material id for the mat you just made.

15. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

I have the plane ID set to 9 and the sub material in slot 9 , i can see the materal fine in the material editor but its not showing in the sceene , I have got the show in view port button ticked and tried to refresh it , I allso tride the display in viewport button on the lowest layer ( same layer that has the bitmap and the reload button) and the other layers/parents of the texture .

I have gone through your textures and cannot see any settings that differ just going to try sticking it on some other objects and reloading max to make sure its not some weard bug.

thanks for the help again !

16. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

I think i got it to work now Evan though in Editable poly i had it set to "set ID 9" it was not showing so i poked around in UVW mapping and noticed it was set to "vertex color channel" in the channel settings so i switched that to "map Channel " and set the number to 9 to mach the multisub the texture was on and it now seems to have workd.

17. mianiak

mianiak Registered

Never seen that before, but one thing did occur to me, you have to add the material (in this case the multisub) to the object.
    Select the object, then in that row of buttons where you turned on show map in viewport, click the 3rd button in from the left to apply it to the object.

ps if your going to poke around like that, make sure to save a backup of the project :D

18. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

lol I have 92 incremental saves already :p

I'm realy not sure why it wasn't working !

Next question - I assume only need to do DRX9 textures as RF2 is only DX9 as far as I know ?

I need to find some tutorial for lighting does it just use a global light for the whole scene and then set up special lights for street lighting and stuff like that when its night time ?

how do you set the car start point and starting grid I cannot seem to see in the max file any markers for it.

19. mianiak

mianiak Registered

For lighting, just leave the default light that the the exported generates in the scn, then go read the track tech doc about setting up the hdr.

Start point, grid etc is all done in the aiw editor. There are some rf1 aiw editor tutorials around, they will work with rf2 and get you going.

20. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

To do tunnels and stuff do you place a negative light ?

I guess I will have to wait until they release there own 3D's max files to do more advanced stuff :)

that's cool about the AIW editor for grid and stuff was watching a video of it looks nice and simple to use.

I'm not really looking to make cars but out of interest if you are making a new car do you have to code/script stuff for the physics or is it just a case of editing a bunch of parameters ?