Antialiasing doesn't work correctly!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Crunchtime, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Crunchtime

Crunchtime Registered

Hey!!

In Rfactor2 ( in rfactor i had the same problem) most jagged lines ( especially in the distance) won't be smoothed out by AA. When I use the Nvidia Inspector and force extreme high AA modes its a little better but still not as good as it should be ( and it costs way too many fps).

The problem is not only that it doesn't look good but it also is very stressing on the eyes. It seems to be an issue with the graphics engine.

This video kind of shows what I mean ( not my video). Yes its rfactor 1 but rfactor 2 has exactly the same problem.

Specs:

GTX-580 290.36 driver ( already tried different drivers but with the same result)

Is there any way to fix this? 4xAA or 8xAA should normally smooth out all the jagged lines but the ingame AA hardly works at all ( same if i force normal AA in the driver).

2. shivanandrs

shivanandrs Registered

I'm running a GTX 580 as well and had what I believe is the same problem. The game's AA and AF setting didn't work.

To get it to work I had to completely turn off the in game options and override AA and AF in the NV Control Panel.

3. fedexpress

fedexpress Registered

AA ingame settings works well for me :p

2x6970s

4. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

Interesting. My AA and AF are working quite well.

GTX 560, 290.53 drivers.

I leave nV control panel at default and and set AA and AF in game. Level 3 AA, 16x AF

5. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

But this is not about AA...because as it's clearly visible - all object edges look nice and smooth (so AA works correctly).
    What you have to do, is clamp negative LOD Bias. Also, try how transparent AA works for you.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2012
  6. Acs

Acs Registered

Forcing sparse grid supersampling solves the issue but costs me 7-10fps at 2560x1600. This is with 580 SLI with only one card working since the SIM doesnt quite work with SLI at the moment

7. Jani Kankaanpää

Jani Kankaanpää Registered

I'll use ingame level3 and supersampling option in Ati CCC, very smooth.

8. metalnwood

metalnwood Registered

I have played around with all osrts of options and I can't seem to get AA to work.

9. Carbonfibre

Carbonfibre Registered

What about using Fast Approximate Anti-Aliasing? Does rF2 support FXAA?
    Might be worth ISI putting it on their to-do list if not.

10. Crunchtime

Crunchtime Registered

Update:

If i put LodBias( Nvidia Inspector) on a positive value the jagged lines and the flickering in the distance become less but texture quality is horrible.

I remember not having that issue with my old gtx260. After i switched to the gtx580 I started having problems with AA regardless of the driver. AA never really worked. 32xCSAA + 4xSGSSA did help a little but with rfactor 2 those settings will give you an unacceptable frame rate. Standard 4x AA still looked way better on my gtx260, though. I know its not a general issue, because in other games it works just fine.

People who claim that AA works fine with the GTX-5xx series, could you please post some pictures( preferably with white lines in the distance)?

Also a word from the developers on this would be nice!

11. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

@Carbonfibre
    What I've found, is that in rFConfig for rF 2 you have 2 additional levels of AA which should not be there... Typically, those
    Levels" are just what you can set by yourself in GFX driver settings. For most modern nVidia cards, that would be 6 settings so 6 levels in rFC. What are those two additional levels? Have no idea.

12. shivanandrs

shivanandrs Registered

As i said in post #2 above, I did get it to work but only by forcing the settings through the nvidia control panel and disabling them within the game. The in-game settings work normally for almost all other games though.

I'll post up some pictures in a bit.

13. shivanandrs

shivanandrs Registered

Thanks to this thread I figured out that AA Level 6 does not work on my GTX580 in rF1, however Level 5 and lower works. That's why I forced these options in the first place. I see what you mean about the AA hardly working at all. I can't remember seeing so much gagged edges on my last card...but I could be wrong.

This is what it looks like on my system:

rF1
    Level 6 AA (not working) & 16X AF
    [​IMG]

Level 5 AA & 16x AF
    [​IMG]

16x AA & 16x AF
    [​IMG]

rF2
    No AA & 16x AF
    [​IMG]

Level 8 AA & 16x AF
    [​IMG]

There is a huge difference between no AA and Level 8 but I don't see any real difference from level 2 and above in either sim. I'm using the v290.53 driver.

14. Raikku

Raikku Registered

Almost all driving sims need lodbias clamped, so I did that straight from the start with this too.

15. Crunchtime

Crunchtime Registered

Thanks for the pics!! You can clearly still see jagged lines even with high AA levels. And in motion its worse than it is on a picture, because there is flickering involved and therefore stressing the eyes quite a bit. On objects on the track it seems to work fine but on the track itself it doesn't for some reason ( pay attention to the white lines on the track in the distance).

The lodbias is clamped at +1.5 for me. It clearly makes textures look worse but it makes the jagged lines appear a little less jagged. While this is only a workaround, maybe one of the developers can help us out. I also would like to see pics from gtx-2xx,ATI and other Nvidia users, because as far as I remember it was way better with the gtx-260 I had before.