Allow downloading

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by BasJon, Jan 14, 2012.

1. BasJon

BasJon Registered

I would like to ask whether rF2 will allow downloading in game, like call of duty does, I honestly think over the past years of playing rF1 that was the biggest let down of the game, we all know to play public racing the meganes were the king, but you could really only run a server with the default tracks if you wanted people in your server, please say you will add it in rF2 that I can run a server with custom tracks and people could join my server and download the track the server is currently running then join :)

2. Alicatt

Alicatt Registered

The other main sim I play is Steelbeasts, an armoured combat simulator, when you host a mission it checks to see if connected clients have both the scenario and the terrain map and if not it transffers them to the clients that don't have them. It makes hosting missions much easier and you dont have to worry too much about who has what.

3. BasJon

BasJon Registered

sounds good lets hope something similar works with this game.

4. bigtabs

bigtabs Registered

That would be great, but the main issue is who does the hosting? These aren't always simple config or script files being transferred. It's often a ton of art content which is very big.

The server admin hosts the files.
    Every time you connect to a server, it checks if you have the currently used content and if not, you download it from there.

*They need a great connection to be able to upload multiple .5 gig plus files to multiple users, as well as running the actual game without causing lag.

ISI hosts the files.
    Mods are now submitted to a central database of mods that ISI serves to customers as they need it.

*Would trademarked content be a problem if ISI themselves were hosting and providing this stuff?

*What would happen if server admins wished to use variants of mods, they or someone else might have tweaked?

The usual places host
    Server admins could set up a direct dl link to the usual places we get our mods

* Will rFactor central or similar be happy with people getting files from their servers without visiting their site?

Peer to Peer
    A portion of upload bandwidth is reserved from each player to upload their content to others who need it. If the user wishes, they can leave the mod manager running even when they're not playing, to add to the global speed.

* It would have to be shown that there is no negative impact to gameplay if people are uploading and racing at the same time.

* How would good uploaders be rewarded? What is the impetous for someone to do it and not throttle the connection?

* What would happen when lots of people want stuff that not many people have?

I would love to see an easier method to get the files I need, but even if something really good could be done, the actual time between seeing a server I want to play on and playing on it would be pretty much the same. My connection only downloads as fast as it does. Having it in game means I don't have to alt+tab out to my browser and find the file, which is nice, but it only really saves me 5 minutes.

One idea
    I think what I might like to see is a stripped down in game browser or simple mod viewer with room for adverts, that used an open format for sites like rFactor central to hook their mod database into. We browse the files or are simply linked directly to what we need - all the while being exposed to the advert belonging to the mod hosting site, perhaps encouraging us to visit their site for other useful services they provide.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2012
  5. BasJon

BasJon Registered

I can see where your going with some good comments, but I will add for me I host 1 and sometimes 2 server from my home as I have a 100 mb line,I configure my server file to allow the right bandwidth with say the max 30 players in,which I have found 4 mb upload and 2mb down is great I could then set aside an allocated amount of bandwith for player to get the track files as per player to a max amount of player at one time, so then it would have no impact on the game :)

6. bigtabs

bigtabs Registered

That's great. Living out here I forget how fast some people's home connections are nowadays. My upload speed is 45K! Not every country provides good upload speeds though, even if their connection is otherwise very fast and on the expensive end.

Giving server admins the option to host is a fine idea.

7. BasJon

BasJon Registered

yes I am lucky to be able to have a great conn, I so enjoy hosting my server, as I just wanna have fun and share :)

8. bigtabs

bigtabs Registered

I hope a mod sees this and puts it in the feature wish forum.

9. rer8

rer8 Registered

If I understand the current mod system, ISI is controling content. I have mentioned this before. I think the best way to control the content is for ISI to auto feed the "approved" mods to all paid in full players much like Microsoft does with the OS or similar to what Blizzard does with WOW. Done properly players would have the choice of having a given mod active through a properly designed UI. and if joining an online race the mod could be software activated for the event.

Randy

10. boshimi336

boshimi336 Registered

That would be nice. StarCraft 2 (Blizzard) does this for Custom maps. It would a very nice feature.