If someone is banned

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kleanphil, Jan 14, 2012.

1. kleanphil

kleanphil Registered

If some one is banned ,will it be permanent,or will they be able to edit them self's out of it.Hopefully some thing permanent can be done

2. kleanphil

kleanphil Registered

Hopefully we can be offered server id numbers that can be matched with profile id's same as the mods,but this needs to be sorted.if they have to pay for a new profile to get in a server so be it,maybe they can learn

3. 10speed

10speed Registered

Exactly my hopes, but I doubt it. Or why would they leave the unique id thing in your plr-file?

4. kleanphil

kleanphil Registered

yes this id is worth less than virtual note pad its writen on,Lets have a solid id number associated with the profile ,no changes !!

5. Tripp

Tripp Registered

in userdata folder i see a file called bans it is a txt file so it looks like same ban system as with rf1

6. kleanphil

kleanphil Registered

Well we can only hope some thing is in the works, this is why so many servers are locked,if more people can be trusted to do the right thing maybe more open servers.If they have to pay for a new profile to return to a server if there ban isnt removed,maybe they have more respect for the time and money put into a server by leagues

7. AlanBernardo

AlanBernardo Registered

Not sure I agree with this permanent banning. In the long run folks who purposely act like idiots on server are going to flame out anyway. And what might happen is that someone might be called a cheater, etc., when in fact the person is not, and then that person is wrongfully banned.

I can see situations where someone is exceedingly fast and damn good and not a cheater, but is banned based simply on suspicion.

I know this is only a racing game and all, but, as the saying goes, it's better that millions of cheaters go free than one honest person be called a cheater. And that's the result the real cheater is after.

Alan

8. RafBR

RafBR Registered

You are a reasonable man...
    +1

9. kleanphil

kleanphil Registered

Just to point out,we allways run an open server at EA OUTLAWS ,we never ban for being a bad driver or learner driver and allways allow people to contact us to be unbanned ,yes there are times when maybe a younger brother might jump on and do stupid things and be banned but if they plead there case they can be unbanned .
    You say these people burn out but no,they go to other servers or game and return periodicly to be pains in the ass.
    As far cheaters ,apart from corner cutters,which hopefully will be fixed with the new tracks, ive only seen 1 or 2 and there is no mistaking them.
    If your in our server and doing the best you can you will not be banned,and will recieve all the help we can offer.
    Yes there are some aliens out there but there legend usually preccedes them,speed hacks are easy to spot.
    As an admin and to ban someone and have them come straight back and laugh in your face is a joke in itself ,if banning cant work then why even bother having the option.
    Apart from the great amounts of money our memebers spend on pc's and gaming rigs and wheels and also the money they donate for us to run an open server we need to be sure there investment is protected from idiots.
    We have rules for our server and are clearly displayed on our website,surely we should be able to enforce them effectively.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2012
  10. AlanBernardo

AlanBernardo Registered

Banning is tricky business. Certainly you have the right to ban someone for not following expressed rules. The only problem I see is that someone might be banned based on suspicion alone, or because the person is not liked or too good to be true. That is all I'm saying. I would think that you would want concrete, continuous proof that you have a cheater or a wrecker before you make the decision to ban.

Alan

11. Lars Strijdonck

Lars Strijdonck Registered

Ban Happy server admins seen them already at some spanish server.
    didn't do nothing just running laps. Banned!

could not care less though says more about them then me.
    Leave as is IMO

12. Christopher Snow

Christopher Snow Registered

My own "ban list" has just one name on it so far...and that guy happens to be a deliberate wrecker...but also an admin (! can you believe it?!) on another server.

I first saw him spinning his car directly across the raceline right in front of me (and a following car) after exiting T3 at Spa earlier today...and then watched him do it again in the monitor (lying in wait for other approaching cars). All quite deliberate, and completely without regard for what any of the rest of us were trying to do out there. A clear abuse of authority, IMO (and yes it was on "his" server--I'd never have bothered joining it if I'd known beforehand, as it wasted about 30 minutes of my time).

To my way of thinking, that's really quite enough--"Insta-ban" for him, at least if he ever tries to join my server.

At the same time, I also don't expect it to really matter at all. Guys like that are just little tin gods living in their own little worlds anyway (and on just that one server). I can't see him ever venturing out into the broader online world with everyone else, so I think it's a relatively benign form of "the cancer," so to speak.

Just avoid him and his server entirely and it won't spread. At least not by direct example....

----

I did take note of the name of the host, and (unless I should goof late nite or something), I don't ever plan to go back there again. Any host that would give a guy like that admin authority is a host I want to steer well shy of anyway.***

Besides...even if I wanted to try to join there again, it might not even be possible. For all I know, he's already banned me! :D Lol!

[*** BUT....this does also raise a point (and an idea): Would it be possible to implement some sort of "REVERSE ban list?" An "Avoid List?" So that I might add the name (or better yet, the IP#)...of a server I'd really like to avoid? And thereby "filter" it right off my own racelist for good?]

It would be nice to be able to wash your hands of this sort of stuff once and for all, I think.

Perhaps we might be given some sort of "avoid last server" filtering button (for those who got booted out?)

Just a thought....

----

Sad to see the wrecking nonsense going on only a day or three after release of the beta, but I suppose it's just the way things are these days.

CS

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2012
  13. Lars Strijdonck

Lars Strijdonck Registered

Iam not going to quote your entire port Mister Snow ;) i am just going to +1 it :)
    Avoid list in your server list would be a great addition.
    And why are tempers so high in practice sessions? Sjees these are new cars on a new physics platform we all need to relearn a thing or two. Its indeed because they prolly they need there GOD experience fix.. :)

+1

14. Christopher Snow

Christopher Snow Registered

I won't claim my own blood pressure hasn't been taking a beating this week...lol...but I will say that what usually sets me off is only one thing--someone not only not trying, but deliberately screwing everyone else up. I have a low "threshold of pain" when I see that stuff.

I'm working on it though, see? ===> "OOOooooooommmmm...."

Nah! On second thought, let's make that ===> "VROOOOooooommmmmm!" :D

CS

15. kleanphil

kleanphil Registered

Another point about this thread is that if they can make this work i'm sure it will stop a majority of the,im gunna say the "C" word now...... cracked copies, as you'll only be able to play offline unless you have a legit online profile .
    Even though ISI say the money isnt as important as a good product,of which i agree, i'm sure this is an issue.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2012
  16. kleanphil

kleanphil Registered

Just reading your exclude server from list coment this may be a way to stop people even finding your server if banned

17. Tripp

Tripp Registered

I hope that because isi have this online account they also now what name the use when sign up with when pay the online fee.
    rammers and wreckers can get a ban to drive online 7 days thing so isi can ban to get this drivers online even maybe they show more respect after 1 online ban i not now if that is possible but could be a nice thing
    But then isi must be locked the usernames we sign up for that is not possible now i have heard .