Ideas to make the dynamic weather/ track surface better

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by RMayfield, Jan 14, 2012.

1. RMayfield

RMayfield Registered

1. While driving each mod on a rain soaked track, I didnt notice that driving off-line helped at all. Am I just being deceived by a lack of perception? Or is this being worked on?

2. Will we have more of a spray affect from other cars in the future, or is this staying off because even the greatest computers would struggle with it?

3. I love that you can script the weather at 5 different points, but after watching the 2011 BTCC races at Oulton Park, they started on a damp track but it wasnt raining. Some teams went with slicks, some with wets, and some with both. This gave me the idea of having at least a 6th option for something along the lines of "Track wetness upon arrival" where the percentage would pertain to how much water is on the surface.

4. To go along with #3 a bit, almost every race event has multiple support series running on the same weekend. What do you guys think of having an option to maybe choose a number between 0 and 10, with the number pertaining to how many support series have run in the time before your own session? In theory this would define how much of a dry line is already forming/formed on the racing surface after a shower. Without rain, this could help define how much the racing line has "rubbered in" before its time for your series to get on track.

Please give feedback on what you think, as well as add your own ideas to build on what an already great product rFactor 2 is becoming. Even though some of our ideas may be out of ISI's reach at this time, our amazing community of modders may be able to come up with something in the future. Long live ISI! :cool:

2. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

I think we should wait to see what future updates of aquaplaning and the improved tyre model give us but it doesn't hurt to brainstorm in the meantime.

I'm not sure if there is an effect of moving onto the wet part of the circuit on tyre temperature and if not present, whether it's planned in the future as it is a very important part of keeping wet tyres cool on a drying surface.

Although slightly OT but related, one important feature missing is the ability to know what tyres your rivals are on.

3. RMayfield

RMayfield Registered

excellent points. F1 2010 and 2011 have that mechanic about using puddles to keep the tires cool.

Knowing what tyres your rivals are on is a tough one to wrap around. Would the spotter tell you? Would we have to implement a crew chief (new spotter plugin anyone?) perhaps it would be on the HUD next to the drivers' names such as back in the days of Formula 1 when there were multiple manufacturers. Although one solution we may already have would be a spectator acting as a real life crew-chief via teamspeak or ventrilo.

4. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

2. Even consoles can manage this (look at F1 2011), so it can't be an issue with computing power. Most likely something we'll see in the future.

3. I definitely agree with this point. Even if I put in heavy rain at the start the track itself is dry when I get to it, the rain is just starting. Having even a 1-5 slider for track wetness at start of session would help immensely.

4. Agree with this also.

5. yokelhama

yokelhama Registered

#3 is a great idea, especially if you have a wet quali session that stops raining near the end and a dry line starts to form. If your race is set to begin straight after quali, you want that drying line to still be there and it's up to drivers to decide what tyre to start the race with.

6. Christopher Snow

Christopher Snow Registered

Yokel-hama....lol! I love it <wipes eyes>.

Shades of "Bill Hume" perhaps (cartoonist)?

CS

7. Ahmad

Ahmad Registered

I have to echo #4, sometimes I want to start a session and hot lap, but I have to waste time rubbering in the track first. So it would be nice to have, say a percentage, of how much the track is already rubbered in.

8. RMayfield

RMayfield Registered

i reckon that "marbling" is close to being implemented as well; I believe we saw it in the Sepang video?

9. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

10. HoneyMonster

HoneyMonster Registered

One thing that I would really love to see is the water being displaced from the track surface when it is wet, by the tyres. It was a feature that I first saw in the dev diarys for F1 2010 but sadly for some reason it never made it into the final game.

Without this, the sense of immersion and realism is completely killed because the car appears to be floating across the top of the track rather than actually interacting with it. This is after all how a drying line actually forms on the track.

11. JWRPayne

JWRPayne Registered

Just to help these ideas move along - having a session start with a non-green track is something the devs are looking into (I believe it was Luc that mentioned it in another thread). Whether this will be possible for wet tracks, or having a damp-but-sunny scenario is something I'm yet to read or hear about.

EDIT: Here we go. See here for Luc's reply regarding the RealRoad system.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2012
  12. mikeyk1985

mikeyk1985 Registered

I'm assuming English is not your native language but I assume you meant driving off line on a rain soaked track should result in LESS grip? In a heavy rain situation the driving line would have more grip due to the cars clearing the rain as they drive through it.

13. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

It's not true.
    Best line has rubber 'ironed' into tarmac. It gives more grip in dry conditions but it's slippery like a hell when wet. Of course if tarmac is clean (for example at event begining) grip is the same on and out driving line.

yeah.. I know it may be surprising but it is true.

14. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

I don't know to what extent it's necessary to simulate this, the cars shooting up rooster tails (perhaps with a bigger splash when hitting a puddle) and the track appearing a bit dryer after them (depending on the conditions) should suffice for most needs.

15. HoneyMonster

HoneyMonster Registered

Fair enough, to each their own :)

however, surely that is how the drying line is calculated? each time a tyre runs over the surface is displaces the water, and the more cars that do it the drier the line becomes no?

If it is intended that the rubbering line is to be calculated based on where the cars are on track surely the same would be true of calculating the drying line as well, and this would need to be represented graphically in a manner similar to that I mentioned above.

I dont know how difficult that is to do in reality or how intensive it would be, but I do think it would look really cool :)

16. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Actually in rainy conditions there is often more grip off line than on, depending upon the track. The reason for this is that the regular (dry) racing line becomes compressed, smooth, and there are less gaps in the track surface for water to get into. This means that when you drive on it, you drive on the water, rather than the tarmac. When you run off the line, there is less compression in the track surface, more gaps, and water can go into those gaps when you drive on it. You end up with more rubber touching more race track.

For real life examples, watch Schumacher 1996 at Spain and Senna, 1993 at Donnington. They both had MORE grip when they ran off the racing line and that is how they were able to pass those on the racing line so easily and often on the outside of the turns.

I drove Lime Rock Park in the USA back in 2006 in wet conditions and you could actually hear the difference in the tires and feel the grip when you were on and off the racing line. The racing line was extremely slick. This is before they resurfaced it.

17. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

Schumacher Barca '96 was the exact example I was thinking for demonstrating the inherent grip offline in the wet. It's probably the best example of what would normally be a suicidal racing line in the dry becoming undoubtedly the quickest in the wet. His catching and passing of Alesi, turns 3/4/5:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpDrrYcQ7vk

18. RMayfield

RMayfield Registered

Thank you Tim for creating the Wish-List forum, moving this thread, and of course for any insights you can give us on what we manage to come up with here. I wish i had the know-how to be more productive rather than just an idea generator :)

19. DmitryRUS

DmitryRUS Registered

All ideas are good, just another question, whether it will pull all motor gmotor2.5? He is already loaded, and he is very old. So many questions in the physics of the vehicles, the weight of absolutely no sense, and no micro-dynamics of the vehicle body motion, kinetic energy is absent, the principle of suspension for all the same. Everything is done for show, is all. Troubleshoot game and all.
    And a live track works on the principle erase the alpha channel, where drove the car, not from wear and temperature of tires.
    I thought physics improves, will the kinetic energy, and we are waiting for another 5-7 years ahead?? Prior to rFactor3???
    As, to look into the eyes of athletes? for that model tracks for training ... It is not possible to take a turn in the controlled skid different principles ...
    in the eyes of rFactor2, looks like a sketch

20. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Can't really understand what you're saying, but, gmotor is a graphics engine. 2.5 is a number. Neither of these have anything to do with physics, or are more than a month old. :)