how to reduce opponent volume engine sounds from onboard???

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by hiohaa, Jan 13, 2012.

1. hiohaa

hiohaa Registered

just like in RF1, even if you put opponent volume ratio to lowest setting, when racing with incar view, you can hear your opponents almost as loudly as your own car - which makes it virtually impossible to drive as you can't hear your revs or skid sounds or anything.

is there any other way to reduce it (have to go into PLR like in rf1??) - or ISI, please can you fix this once and for all. in reality you can barely hear the sound of other cars over your own anyway.

2. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

Well if setting opponent volume ratio to it's lowest setting isn't enough, how about raising player volume ratio to it's highest setting too?

3. Goffik

Goffik Registered

I have the player volume at maximum and opponent volume at minimum, and they are still much too loud. Why such an odd ratio control anyway? I don't understand why there can't simply be a direct 'Opponent Volume' setting which allows us to mute the sods if we choose.

4. Holzvergaser

Holzvergaser Registered

there must be something wrong on your ends, i have player volume 100% and i even raised opponent volume to 90% otherwhise i could only hear them for like a few meters away.
    i can hear my car just fine as i can hear others now. you tell me you have opponent at 0 and player at 100 and opponents are still to loud? with that settings i wouldnt even hear a opponent if hes on top of me :D

i use headphones btw, maybe the skidding is harder to hear on speakers. i loved how you can set skidding and scrubing volumes in simbim games, i miss that in rf2.

5. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

Player volume ratio goes up to 150 btw. =)

And you can adjust skidding and scrubbing volumes in rF2, just not in the UI. If you check you plr-file, you'll find lines like

Vehicle Scrubbing VolMult="0.0000610352"
    Vehicle Scrubbing FreqGrip="-0.25000"
    Vehicle Scrubbing FreqSpeed="0.00195"
    Vehicle Skidding VolMult="0.0001220703"
    Vehicle Skidding FreqGrip="-0.25000"
    Vehicle Skidding FreqSpeed="0.00195"
    Vehicle Roadnoise VolSpeed="32.00000"
    Vehicle Roadnoise VolMult="0.0000050000"
    Vehicle Roadnoise FreqMin="0.80000"
    Vehicle Roadnoise FreqMult="0.00391"

6. Goffik

Goffik Registered

No, there isn't. Everyone uses different hardware and has their own preferences, that's all.

It's simply a rather silly way of handling volume controls, a way I have only ever seen in rF1 and rF2. Just give me proper direct controls, not a ratio. At the very least, allow me to put the opponent ratio lower than 50 and I'll be happy.

You can actually lower the ratio further in the PLR file, but if you enter the audio options in-game at any time then it resets to 50. I currently have mine set to .25 and it's now perfect. Why the in-game option is limited at all, I don't know.

7. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

Just a question, what sort of setup are you using? You wouldn't happen to have a 5.1 speaker system (or something like that) and then attach headphones to that or the front panel of the computer?

Asking because while I don't have this problem with rF2, I've encountered something similar in Oblivion. If I had the 5.1 system set up properly, many sounds were directed into the center channel of the speaker system. But when I plugged in my headphones (either to a plug in the speakers or to the front of my comp) the center channel wasn't audible in the headphones, so many sounds were almost completely off. Could be something in this vein perhaps.