Megane tyre physics

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kuba Krafek, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Kuba Krafek

Kuba Krafek Registered

Got some trouble with tyres on Megane car.....it looks like to be inverted physics as it feels like dry when im driving on the wet and it feels like wet as im driving on the dry surface. Also tyre temps are a bit weird....its impossible to get them up to temperature. When i approach the corner and turn, the temp is going up too fast, and then on the straight like in 2 seconds its back on the 30 degs.
    I dont know if its just the Megane, cause i havent tried other cars yet.

Any clues? Anyone with the same problem?

Edit: please move to problems forum as i missed the right folder

2. prunn

prunn Registered

the problem is in the aero...
    I fixed it for personal use
    willing to share but the modding system is in the way

3. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Are you giving 4 to 6 laps to warm up the tires? It seems to me once the carcass of the tire warms, the surface temps of the tire start to make better sense. That's the impression I'm getting.

As far as the grip is concerned on dry, are you experiencing this on a "green" track or rubbered in track? What is the tempurature and humidity readings for the session?

4. ucfquattroguy

ucfquattroguy Registered

2nd what CdnRacer said... Definitely give it several laps. MUCH more believable warm-up of the tires. I did a stint of about 15 laps back-to-back last night. I ended up running 1.25sec faster on average in laps 10-15 than I could during laps 1-5. Also..I did notice visually the track rubbering in. I'm sure the *actual* rubbering contributed to my laptimes dropping as the session went on.

5. Kuba Krafek

Kuba Krafek Registered

but notice....the rise of the temperature during cornering....and its then rappidly falling down on the straight..from 30 to 100 in 2 seconds and from 100 to 30 in 2 seconds? impossible

6. kart38

kart38 Registered

The temps are the very surface of the tire, not the temperature of the carcass or of the air inside it. The surface temp will change quickly and drastically. This has been pointed out before and even commented on by someone from ISI, probably Scott.

Jason

7. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

I'd be interested to hear what the problem with the Megane aero is? (You don't have to divulge if you don't wish to, I'm just interested)

8. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

I don't know much about tire physics, compounds etc.

It does seem the tires don't heat up at all from driving at 200km/h. The tires are maybe one or two degrees above track temperature. They don't start going above those temps until you corner, brake hard. The tires seem so react very well in a forced power slide. Just my opinion though.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2012
  9. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

They don't seem to heat up at all unless there's some slip. I've done 250 km/h to 0 km/h braking tests and if I feather the brakes so that they're juuuuuuuuust under the point where they'd start to lock up, I can stop really quickly and the temps either stay the same or can even go down a degree or two during the braking. Same for turning and accelerating, if the temps rise you know the tyre is slipping, just loading the tyre doesn't warm it up as it should.

Probably just some setting turned of at the moment, hopefully it's going to be back on in the next update.

EDIT: I did a 30 lap practice session in the Megane today, I was pushing it but also tried to be a bit careful about letting the tyres slip, so I avoided locking the brakes, turning the wheel too much and giving the car too much gas. It was great practice for finding smoother lines and I was actually getting better lap times than when I had pushed to the limit (though now that I know the car and track better I think I could manage faster laps by going a bit harder), and the tyre temps went from 29 at the start to 43 at the end. 30 laps of hard (but not extreme) driving wasn't quite enough to heat them up properly, so something is definitely turned off at the moment.

10. Michael Borda

Michael Borda Car Team

+1 :D

There will be some minor enhancements coming in the future pertaining to heating, and as a result cooling as well. And yes, the temperature is measured very near the surface of the tyre. So it's an issue we know about and our guys are looking to resolve. That said, don't except things to change too much, but it definitely will keep slightly warmer in a straight line.

11. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Thanks for the response Michael.

12. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

Good to hear from you Michael, but I still want to know: Does loading the tyres heat them up at all currently? For example on Mills I can blast through the main straight at full speed, start braking some way after the 200 marker and the tyres don't go up in temps at all, sometimes even go down.

13. Nibo

Nibo Registered

I created a thread in "problem reports", but got zero replays for 12 hours, so I repost here.

Megane is faster on wet track, than on dry.
    When I set scripted rain weather, put wet tires, I can do a lap times in low 1.08 (Mills). Then I go to main menu, set sunny weather. Go back on dry track, select slicks and can do only high 1.09.

This is not minor issue. Times in wet must be 10 seconds slower than in dry, not 2 seconds faster!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2012
  14. Steven

Steven Registered

Lol the wet tyres (on a wet track) give so much grip i have rolled the car a couple of times through the corners XD

15. Michael Borda

Michael Borda Car Team

The issue occurs primarily when there is still a deep rubbered groove on the track, and then you get light rain. Heavy wet conditions with a fully soaked track are still slower, either way, this has already been corrected internally and will be fixed for the next Megane update.

@jubuttib You kind of answered your own question didn't you ? :D You are correct in that this aspect is currently not functioning.

16. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

Guess I did, but confirmation is always confirmation. Thanks! =)