Suspension tuning

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lantern Rouge, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Lantern Rouge

Lantern Rouge Registered

Is there a guide somewhere to the what the increments and measurement units mean in the rF2 beta? I have experience with race car suspension tuning, but cannot figure out what '+1/2 turn' of rebound or '9R bump' settings for the dampers is supposed to mean as to how the suspension will now respond. I could probably figure it out through trial and error, but how about letting everyone know in simple terms what is stiffening or softening (or more/less resistant to movement, more/less damped, whatever) each setting is doing in each direction?

I can guess about how this works, but in real life dampers would come with a guide as to what the increments mean, and each manufacturer has a different system, so a trun to the right of the adjuster knob may do opposite actions within the damper. I would like an official reply from ISI rather than community speculation if possible.

2. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Those are just "names" applied to specific settings. Extract mas files for that car (Megane or FR 3.5, don't remember) and take a look at its HDV file. There, you have definitions for damper stiffness expressed in standard way and assigned to that, text you actually see in-game.

3. Lantern Rouge

Lantern Rouge Registered

OK, help me out here. When I look in the Core/Vehicles file, I see cmaps, multicar, and Vehicles .mas file. What do I use to open/extract these so I can see the individual car files? I tried Wordpad and 7zip with no luck.

I did not do much driving and no modding in rFactor, but did a lot of both in GTR2, which if I understand correctly used the same or similar file structure. How do I get at the tech bits in rF2? Pretty much everything in GTR used wordpad.

4. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

You have to look into "Installed" folder (and then into Vehicles.. and so on) and there, you have various MAS packages for each car. "_MAIN" packages contain all files which used to be loose in rF 1 (physics files etc.).
    To extract MAS packages, you have to use dedicated utility (MAS2), located in Support\Tools folder.