Unit of measurement problem

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by maz32, Jan 13, 2012.

1. maz32

maz32 Registered

i found in the megans that the units on the suspension tab were in imperial and on the advance tab they were metric.
    all my setting should be in metric

2. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

I noticed something along those lines yesterday but it's not an error. From memory I think it was the fast bump and rebound settings, it shows it in a fraction of a turn (e.g., 3/8 of a turn instead of having 0.375) - if you have it in decimals it becomes messy with large numerator/denominator terms.

Are you sure it wasn't that that you saw?

3. Kev

Kev Registered

I think he means springs, which showed in lbs/in instead of N/mm. I have the same issue.

4. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

That's not an issue (but yes, if you haven't seen that yet in hdv, it might be confusing).

You have additional parameter for some susp parts, for which you can define alternative naming scheme.

For example, if you set your spring range setting to (100000, 10000, 10) - that means, you defined them in N/m and will have them expressed in-game in N/mm, what we all know from rF 1.
    But... now, we have ".......SPECIAL" parameter. In this case, SpringSpecial is used, where you can do things like those:

SpringSpecial=(0,"1117"," lbs/in","")
    SpringSpecial=(1,"2245"," blabla","")

You can assign any name to any of the values. That works for antirollbars, springs, dampers, ride height, camber, caster, toes... just take a look into hdv files :)

So, even though physically we defined spring stiffness in N/m, it will be displayed as anything we have defined.

The syntax for that stuff is (taken from the Megane HDV):
    (setting, non-translated value prefix, translated value postfix, instructions)

I'd like to see that beeing able to set by user (something like switchable "Allow alternative naming scheme" On/Off option in the game).

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2012
  5. Kev

Kev Registered

Aaaahh, now i understand, thanks for explanation.
    I'd like to see switch to standard measurements too.

6. jtbo

jtbo Registered

I believe setting that option is possible from .plr file, there is line garage units or similar?

7. O11

O11 Registered

Certain suspension settings do not seem to be 'linear'. The numbers do not follow each other correctly. Like: 1 2 3 2 4 5 6 5 8 9.
    It's not imperial fractions either, really strange..

8. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Remember, mods might contain some bugs with those. We have to wait to get proper, full description of that kind of parameter.

9. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

Special aliases for settings=Fantastic!

10. maz32

maz32 Registered

thanks for clearing that up

but i agree to the alternative naming scheme

its a bit confusing having
    mm
    cm
    newton meters
    and then
    pounds per square inch

the fR's it the same
    but the 1960's are allright

then if you look in the top right there is tyre pressure and they are in kpa but the setting is in bar

i think its fine going differnt units for the whole car but at least it could be constant or remove the choice of imperial or metric

11. jtbo

jtbo Registered

It is indeed bit confusing, but I guess it is somewhat realistic too, it is perfectly possible to put parts to car that have specs in different units, like springs and dampers, one can be imperial, one can be metric or more often just X amount of turns or clicks. Even when buying such sometimes it is surprisingly hard to get simple specs sheet that would state what kind of measurement each setting would provide.

So in practise one just knows what direction is stiffer and what is looser, then adjust and drive, analyze, adjust, drive, analyze and so on, until settings that are suitable are found.

For example drifters in UK get Land Rover shocks and put thick oil in, they have no idea what kind of Nm/mm they would measure at, but it makes car more driftable and easier to control when sliding than original, that is all they need.

I was once looking a bit to get Spax adjustable dampers, I think there was 48 settings of stiffness, but as there was no way to get information what would setting 1 or setting 48 measure as some measurable unit I could not know if they would be suitable or not, but many buy those and they work great in practise, only thing is that there is no any idea what kind of damping force there is except stiffer and more loose. This is just to show how in reality it is often that there are no exact numbers available to work with or units are different one is used to. For springs it can be Kg/cm^2, Lbs/in or almost anything really. For common upgrade springs they say 20-40mm lowering, that is it, of course you can measure them and do the math to get rate, but it is similar with these different units in rFactor 2, now you have to do bit of work to get it into units you know. It kind of reminds me from those ancient dungeon crawls, where we draw maps of dungeons to paper to get levels mapped.

So it can be good thing that it is confusing, however I think it has been planned such way too, but tire pressures surely would be measured in units that they are set, so there I believe some improvement would be good.

kPa to Bar conversion is quite simple, 100kPa is 1 Bar.

So this is another angle to subject.

12. kro388th

kro388th Registered

I have a defrent type of Unit of measurement problem being that in all mods my defalt set up's have the rear springs off set , the left spring is alwase 1 click lower then the right spring ..no biggie reely but want to comfirm if anyone else see's this ?
    If not ill try a reinstall beofore i would call it somthing to squash ..

thx !