Is there an option to turn on a map?

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by voltking, Jan 13, 2012.

1. voltking

voltking Registered

I tried looking for an option about map.but I couldn't find anything about it. Is there an option about it??

2. Terence Groening

Terence Groening Registered

No, but there's actually a way to get a (non-moving) map on the steering wheels for cars that support it. None of the released ones do, however.

3. Duvel

Duvel Registered

The map plugin from rf1 is being ported by Fazer, not sure when it will be ready. I can't live without a map :(

4. Gimpymoo

Gimpymoo Registered

Is this not something which can be added?

5. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

There is an excellent plugin by Fazer which doesn't really need to be improved upon. Be patient for him to update it and let ISI work on the core functionality rather than sticking extra features on. :)

6. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Yeah.. there must be really a lot of turns you cannot remember ;)
    I don't get why people needs this map.

7. brabham67

brabham67 Registered

I don't use anything like it either, but I can see the value if fazerbox's map shows the positions of other drivers. Even with that its a distraction, IMO.

8. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Maps help me learn where corners are on new tracks I drive, Fazers for rF1 is excellent for this and I'm so glad he's doing it for RF2. Once I'ver turned 20odd laps I only use it to see where others drivers are on the track, helps with finding gaps during Qually sessions

9. brabham67

brabham67 Registered

Yeah I can see the value for relative position. rF2, and I believe rF1, has a relative position overlay that sits at the bottom of the screen while your on track. Its a straight bar representing the track from start to finish. Not as fancy but handy none the less.

10. Duvel

Duvel Registered

Yeah, because newcomers should be mocked for using a plugin you don't agree with, eh? Coool. Think I'll put a winky face to be a smart-ass too ;)

And for new tracks I don't know I like to have it for sure, like Targa Florio as an example. That takes ages to learn and it helps. You might not want to use it, but others do, and I don't get what you don't here.

11. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

It is not about I agree or not.
    I just don't understand believing it may help. I also was a beginer one day. There is still a lot of circuit I don't know. But I cannot imagine how interactive map may help lerning it. Running a car with medium speed 5 laps, then next 5 a bit faster is enough to remember 10 turns.

To me it is the same as asking for setup which should makes a beginner faster when he is 15 sec behind.

And you think you will get Targa into memory faster with using of map? I seriously doubt in this.

12. MarcG

MarcG Registered

using a Map of a track helps people (me included) in knowing what corners are coming up next, especially helpful on larger tracks or tracks where sections are similar in design, also when you have little time to spend racing in the first place. Of course it can help with learning a tracks layout faster, does'nmt mean your laptimes will be greatly improved just that you have a quicker understanding of what corner follows the next corner etc etc.

13. skeemo

skeemo Registered

Honestly, track maps are just distracting...i really cannot see any benefits in learning a track with a map as you just look at the map the whole time. Learn to use your eyes on track, judge corners a.s.o.
    Learning a new track just takes 5-10 laps. Start slowly, then build up speed but brake early. Then move braking points towards corners.
    Targa Florio is just a good example i think, how NOT to use a map. Try to judge upcoming corners.

14. Jack B

Jack B Registered

Not a big fan of maps. If they are used offline to learn a track that's ok, but when someone jumps into a race and needs a map to navigate the track it shows they haven't spent the hour on a track you need to be even marginally competent. Sure some aliens can learn a track in 10 laps and be fast and safe, but most drivers no.

I really don't want to race with anyone, who needs a map to race. If you can't remember the average 10-12 turns on a typical road course you shouldn't be racing.

Maps are needed by your mom or sister or buddy, who pops over and isn't planning on investing more than 15 minutes racing anyway. I used to see guys like that on consoles all the time. Disaster. I wish rFactor 2 didn't have a map plugin. Too arcade IMO.

15. brabham67

brabham67 Registered

As much as I agree that a map is pointless for racing, there isn't much ISI can do about 3rd party plugins.

16. Jack B

Jack B Registered

Yep. Glad it's a plug in though and not done by ISI.

17. MarcG

MarcG Registered

so visual tire heat and wear on 1960s cars is'nt arcadey then?! ;)

People like maps, others dont, does it really matter in the grand scheme of things!?! :)

18. skeemo

skeemo Registered

Well, if you just use it when in pits after a stint it's fine i think :)

copy that !!!

19. Duvel

Duvel Registered

Who would have thought a map plug-in that someone worked hard on for others to use--IF they want to--would get a negative response from those who don't wish to use it? Do you not see how slightly odd it is?

20. brabham67

brabham67 Registered

Not at all!! Do what you like! ;)