No damage improvement.....:(

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kimi450, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Kimi450

Kimi450 Registered

Are there even any small changes made to it cause i am not being able to find any they are same as they were in rfactor 1. that turned me down :( does anyone know whats has been changed

2. Jani Kankaanpää

Jani Kankaanpää Registered

yep, this is what i hope to see improvement when time passes by, sometimes(usually) damagemodelling is way too forgiven.

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

They said they'll be making changes to the damage system. This is a beta... if you want to have everything in its finished version try waiting for the proper release...

4. Jani Kankaanpää

Jani Kankaanpää Registered

Yes, thats why i sayed

"i hope to see improvement when time passes by"

5. Gimpymoo

Gimpymoo Registered

Really?

In the traditional sense, game features are generally "locked down" in BETA and refined.

If new features are being added then I would say it is barely Alpha in the strictest sense. Not complaining, just saying.

6. richiespeed13

richiespeed13 Registered

The damage model is not finished yet for sure, but I have already noticed some amazing potential.

For example, in the old rFactor, flipping was rather unrealistic and did little damage, however now, when I flip my car, it really digs into the ground and flips head over heels, meanwhilst ripping itself apart! :D

I think when rF2 goes gold, it will be awesome!

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I was replying more to the OP with the sad faces and disappointment :)

8. richiespeed13

richiespeed13 Registered

IMHO, despite what ISI have labled this, I think it's more "Alpha" than "Beta" at this stage.

9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

You can call it a Beta, an Alpha, Testing Phase 4, T-276 days... it's not rFactor 2 release version, so I can't understand being disappointed when something they said rFactor 2 would have isn't here yet.

Just saying.

10. Arthur.Hermont

Arthur.Hermont Registered

Beta was supposed to be a software with all features which the main objective is to crush bugs and improve performance. Not that someone cares about that definition today but just saying.

Quoting Wikipedia

"Beta
    Beta (named after the second letter of the Greek alphabet) is the software development phase following alpha. It generally begins when the software is feature complete. Software in the beta phase will generally have many more bugs in it than completed software, as well as speed/performance issues. The focus of beta testing is reducing impacts to users, often incorporating usability testing. The process of delivering a beta version to the users is called beta release and this is typically the first time that the software is available outside of the organization that developed it."

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle#Beta

Btw I'm sure we will see a lot of improvements until the end of this cycle and further on. ;)

11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

generally

12. jtbo

jtbo Registered

I have read collision system and such being still WIP but not read actual damage being WIP, maybe damage is considered part of collisions then? It would be quite logical.

I would think that it would be good for there to be bit of listing where are things where input is needed, then things that are WIP and does not need to be given input yet and so on, so that people would know better what to except, what to report etc, might also help devs with quite overwhelming amount of posts, but then again who am I to say, just a though. I guess anyone could actually work on that kind of list based what can be found from around the board.

edit: added few words to make garbage produced by my brain to be more understandable.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2012
  13. richiespeed13

richiespeed13 Registered

Hey JTBO, good to see you around! Your Volvo mod was legendary, great damage model. I remember making a funny video of a big crash in your car on Youtube! :D

For me, the damage model of a sim is extremely important, but I generally feel that once the game is complete, with the help of mods, the damage model will be very good. Not ground breaking, and not a revolution of rFactor 1, but still, quite good!

14. Gimpymoo

Gimpymoo Registered

If core features are yet to be implemented then it is not a Beta, as I said, it is barely Alpha.

If someone thinks they are getting a Beta and end up with something else, I think some disappointment is understandable.

The word "Beta" is just a marketing gimmick in the industry nowadays to secure pre-orders and source an additional revenue stream.

ISI are offering a refund option though so no loss to anyone really.

15. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

Wait, we seriously expect rF2b to be feature complete? RF1 final release wasn't feature complete. Hell, they were adding features years down the line. Besides, there is a damage feature, there is a weather feature, a lighting feature; they're just being expanded.

16. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

Actually the damage system is much improved. The graphics for damage may be the same but when you hit a wall or other objects- even alight hit- there is damage. The toe is thrown off or something else to make the car hard to drive. That is much more realistic than rF1 was.

Graphically... meh.

17. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

Considering what I've been watched on videos, accidents (as turn overs) and following damage caused by them is far, very far way from what would be acceptable regarding a so long time of development.

This sample is particularly worrying:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YYzn..._embedded#t=6s

As a beta (or Alpha or Gamma or whathever), I hope the crash and damage system be entirely replaced in the final version. The question is: it will be?

18. Grubby

Grubby Registered

19. mikeyk1985

mikeyk1985 Registered

I think you're being over dramatic there, it needs some fine tuning and things adding to it. To say it needs to be completely removed and start again is rediculous. If you drive the car to race you will have convincing crashes with convincing damage, if you throw it head first into a wall like a 3 year old then yeah, you may find some unfinished elements.

20. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered