All Thrustmaster T500 rs owners come to this thread!!!

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by fedexpress, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Araneus

Araneus Registered

i am still missing the overall settings ingame :( and the settings in the controller menu BTW i am using the F1 addon rim

2. zim2323

zim2323 Registered

Ok, got my replacement from Best Buy. Just swapped the wheel out. Everything looks good. Hard mounted the wheel to the Obutto cockpit (through their acrylic desktop offset 3/4"). No broken pieces on this wheel. Just don't ever take the wheel off haha. Measure twice, cut once...BS...measure 10 times, cut 4 times is what it seems to take to get anything centered properly. >( Good news is, once I got the right bolt size and everything centered like I wanted, everything is solid and really looks and feels good.

I still have the same problem with the new wheel being offset to the left 5-10 degrees though. I was able to digitally center the wheel with the new firmware. Still find this a poor excuse for a $600 wheel. Grrrr. Anyways, besides that, once the wheel is centered and configured properly....WOW. Love it. I still have a lot of tweaking to do with the brake and throttle sensitivity since I originally had it configured for my G25 with the LeoBodnar pedal mod. At some point I'll probably figure out how to take the wheel apart and center the drive/steering the way it should have been in the first place. Anybody want to do a tutorial for me?

I haven't had a chance to setup the shifter yet, but looking forward to using it. I'm still up in the air on the paddle shifters being locked to the housing. I do like them attached directly to the wheel better, but I'm starting to get used to them.

3. Nizmo

Nizmo Registered

You guys cost me over $600 yesterday! Ordered the F1 wheel and really looking forward to it. Should have it tomorrow. I noticed on the Thrustmaster site that the new drivers were released 1/5/12 I think, and will download them later today and have it ready to go when the wheel gets here. Sounds like you run the drivers while the wheel is not attached, and follow the screen. Anything else I might not know to get a good installation? Since I'm getting the F1 wheel, firmware should be good, correct?

Can't wait to feel the F1 cars at Spa. Running last night, the G25 just seems too 'bouncy' at speed. I have been able to control slides pretty well, and hope for better with the F1 wheel.

4. Nizmo

Nizmo Registered

Where is everyone?

The wheel is awesome! I'm not getting into the details right now but have a quick (stupid) question. Do you guys turn off your PC's when the fan on the wheel is still going? Which is almost every time I finish racing. For some strange reason, my initial inclination is to let the fan run it's course, cool stuff inside, turn itself off, and I then think it's better to turn off the computer. Is this ridiculous? Just want to take care of my new baby I suppose.

5. Duvel

Duvel Registered

probably is unnecessary. I'm going to try and mod my fan, currently i'm running an 80mm fan on it without the top case, but i plan to mod the top case so it can keep the fan (t500 only has room for a 60mm x 15mm fan max). Fan comes on and now I don't hear it, plus it turns off every few minutes. If there is a weak spot on the t500, its that rubbish little 60mm fan.

6. MrPix

MrPix Registered

My first fan lasted 3 days before it started to make a horrid vibration on start up... it took TM 4 weeks to ship a replacement top with a new fan installed. I replaced it upon arrival and this one has lasted less than 1 week, the first failure fan had disaasembled itself and the middle ahd fell off it's bearing sleeve... not repairable.

I have asked TM to replace it again, but they have not responded.

It's a shame that a £600+ investment (I have TH8RS and F1 Addon too) is spoiled by a £0.50p fan. I intend to replace it with an aftermarket one, I have ordered a few.

One of my concrens that I have passed back to the devs, is that the fan sucks air from the motor heatsink and blows it at a few tiny holes.... most of that hot air will just bounce back from the plastic surrounding the tiny holes, straight back on the heatsink.... how bizzarre... I would have thought it would have been better sucking air through the tiny holes and blowing it on to the heatsink.... but apparently not according to TM support:

aside from the fan issues and the dodgy right hand paddle (also replaced under warranty at same time as first fan), the wheel, the F1 rim and the gearstick are by far the best pieces of sim kit I have ever gotten.... well.. on even par with going Tri-screen.

7. Nizmo

Nizmo Registered

I have the paddle issue....Since I opened the box last Friday, the right paddle didn't have the same feel as the left on the F1 wheel.The "click" was different and not giving the same poitive feedback. Over the week+ I've had it, it's gotten a little worse, and can now slightly hear (and feel) the small spring that's in there. Spoke to Thrustmaster support just yesterday about this, and they're sending me a replacement, saying they had the part in stock. I asked if others were having this issue as they stocked the part and the guy was instantly familiar with this problem, and he said yes, others are experiencing the same issue which is why the keep the parts in stock. heh Mr. Pix, how easy/difficult is it to do this fix? I was told an instruction sheet is included and it's very easy. What else are they going to say?

8. MrPix

MrPix Registered

I have not replaced the paddles on the F1 wheel, only on the base, it's a 10 minute job if you drink a coffee while you are doing it to replace the paddles on the base unit.... easy as pie! They usually send a PDF to your email account with instructions, I did not get any hard copies with the replacement parts.

I got an email yesterday saying that TM have ordered me a new fan (Top case unit), so I'll have the pleasure of that arriving in the next month or two I guess.... thats a 30 min job! I have also ordered a 60x60x10mm fan from elsewhere and am hoping that I can use that to get me by in the meantime.

9. zim2323

zim2323 Registered

I've been using my T500 now for about 2 weeks. LOVE IT!

Per my original issues, the wheel that came with a cracked/broken steering wheel housing, while wrapped in sealed plasted and packaged in styrofoam and an undamaged box makes me think someone dropped it while packing and just never bother to check if it was damaged.

That said, since receiving the replacement wheel, I've had quite a bit of time to play with this. I had some initial issues with the wheel not centered. It was cocked about 5-10 degrees to the left. I have since upgraded the drivers and firmware and got the wheel physically centered where it should be.

I really, REALLY like this wheel. I've owned quite a few wheels, from a Sidewinder, Sidwinder FF, Logitech Momo (red), ACT Labs FF+shifter, Thomas Super Wheel, G25, and now the T500. This is the best wheel I've personally ever owned. I purchased the wheel/shifter package from Best Buy. I liked the Act Labs shifter but it was really flimsy and only lasted about 3 months for me. The G25 shifter lasted longer, but I always had trouble finding the gear when skipping gears. The TH8 shifter....WOW...I can not tell you how awesome this shifter is. Now that said, 90% of the race cars out there in the world are paddle shift or even if they have a gear stick, are sequential now, so I don't know what the future usability of this is. I use it for all the stockcar sims I run but I've found that it's probably not as useful from a sim perspective as what I originally thought. I love the quality and adjustability, and for a shifter to have (for a retail shifter), THIS IS IT. If I was buying again though, I would have either done the $400 wheel only from Fry's, or purchased the F1 wheel package instead. Vintage cars will probably be a good use for this, but just saying.

One final note, I've also had issues adjusting to the paddles attached to the base instead of the wheel. I'm starting to get used to it, but definitely has caused me issues early on. After a few months it should be pretty much a non-issue.

Great job by Thrustmaster on this wheel.

I've attached my rF1 wheel config for my T500. It's got all the keys remmapped like NR2003. Once they get SLI fixed for rF2 and I can do some more testing, I'll repost an updated config for it. Until then, someone can use this to convert. I have not tried to drop this config in as-is to rF2 yet.

10. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

It took me a few weeks to get used to the floppy paddles not moving but now I like it a lot better. a LOT better. I am doing an offline 1969 Trans-Am season in GTR2 and this t500 + G25 shifter combo is amazing. I can't do 900 degrees, but 540 is fine for me.

I had an Act-Labs shifter and it didn't even last 1 week. What a POS. It literally fell apart. I use a Leo Bodnar adapter for my G25 shifter. After using this G25 shifter for 5 years, using it's as natural as walking. It stills burns me that the Act Labs POS fell apart and I got my money back but still had to pay $25 for shipping and everything.

11. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

With build 60:
    "Added ability to read/write Thrustmaster wheel range (only available on new T500RS series, by the way)."
    I confirm, it works (I have rev. V3 wheel with firmware 38 and drivers 2.7.65.0, Win 7 x64).

12. MrPix

MrPix Registered

Works great, thanks ISI

13. Cangrejo

Cangrejo Registered

Now you can put 900 ° of rotation and make a new search controller. No need to touch anything else because it adapts to all cars

14. arnomar

arnomar Registered

It's my first post, sorry for my english :)

Have you got a new feeling since the Build 60 (except off-track ffb which has been attenuate) with T500? I ve got a good feeling but i find the ffb still weak at low speed (center of wheel range) and loosy at no speed (plugin leo's ffb could manage it on RF1). Other thing, when i decrease the FFB multi in the control menu the strengh force is always constant (monaco particularly) when i hit the pavement ? May be we can change it in the controller.ini but if it's a constant parameter, it has limited interest.

My setup:

Overall Strength of all forces: 46%
    Constant: 100%
    Periodic: 100%
    Spring: 0%
    Damper: 0%
    Auto-Center Settings: by the game

Controller.ini: ingame T500

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2012
  15. Sickb0t

Sickb0t Registered

I have the exact same problem.. anyone know why this happens and how to prevent it?

16. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Never had such problem, so I can't help you. Sorry.

17. Cangrejo

Cangrejo Registered

How many of you have the steering wheel f1??. I feel so awkward with the gt wheel driving the car formula master. With the Formula Renault I have no problems.

Is it worth buying the steering wheel f1 too?

18. MrPix

MrPix Registered

It is worth every penny for the immersion alone, although be prepared for button and paddle failures then warranty replacements, have had 2 so far in the first 3 months of ownership... with occasional use (twice a week)

19. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Hiya

I have the t500, great wheel works fine with all sims including rf2

But feels terrible with rf1 what ever i do to setup/callerbrate only thing left now is go into the config rf1 files

Any tips? (or settings example??)

20. fedexpress

fedexpress Registered

with build 107

with t500 wheel and f1 integral the ffb is seriously stuffed up

1. When I turn (left or right) with any car especially the formula 2, the wheel shakes/rumbles way too much, almost as if I'm hitting a rumble strip

2. There is no weight increase when turning the wheel at all? e.g in iracing when you are on a slope, it is harder to turn the wheel in 1 direction due to gravity but this is not present in rf2?

Not sure if this is in all wheels but this is a seriously problem with the t500 rs wheel

Please fix this Tim

thanks