Are the megane and Renault mods?

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by mirage1, Jan 13, 2012.

1. mirage1

mirage1 Banned

I have a sneaking suspicion that these cars are just mods and were not offically produced by ISI. The physics have some serious issues mainly the renault. Can anyone confirm this?

2. brabham67

brabham67 Registered

Yes they are mods... officially created by ISI.

3. mirage1

mirage1 Banned

Can you confirm that? I dont beleive they would make the physics so bad on the renault.

4. ROON

ROON Registered

Would you care to elaborate? I'm also interested to know whether you're using the default Megane setup or one you've created yourself. In my opinion the default is very bad and needs tweaking before it is raceable.

5. DougSpinster

DougSpinster Registered

Megane set up I reversed the alignment on the front and rear. Works great now.

6. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

It's just a beta at this point, so I anticipate it'll get a whole lot better as time goes on.
    I'm not too terribly concerned at this early stage.
    Having said that, the Renaults (both series) are very, very bad at default settings.
    The cars in the sim are overly 'tail-happy'.
    I expected them to be better and much further along given the length of time RF2 has been in development.
    The other area of concern is the sound of the Megane. It's very muted and somewhat 'clinical'.
    I actually like the Megane mod in the original RF much better. I can't really say I like them in RF2.
    It's obvious after watching some of the video replays that these cars can be dialed in.
    My feeling on all sims, is that handling should be as close to real right out of the box, with 'tweaking' to get it optimum.
    Meganes...even stock ones are known for incredible grip.
    When I see the back-end stepping out and coming around at 25 and 35 mph on a slow lap, I sit up and take notice.
    The 60s racers are much better at default settings.
    Those are the only cars I'm currently driving until the rest get fixed or until I have time to set them up properly.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2012
  7. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

8. CordellCahill

CordellCahill Registered

+1

The renault default setup is horrible, try this at Sepang

9. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

Hope you guys that say physics are bad are getting some rubber down on the track and not just doing a few laps on a green track

10. brabham67

brabham67 Registered

One thing I have found, is that you can take the twitchy edge off of a car if you dial back the steering lock a few degrees. This helps most on the megane and classic Fcars. Yes, in most cases the default setups are terrible.

11. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

Default ISI setups have always been bad, mods too.

And now they've added an extra twist. You have to do 4 laps minimum just to get your tires up to temp.

That's what I love about rFactor. Even seasoned sim racers can't just get in and drive and be fast.

pCARS, you hop in the 68 Lotus and in 4 laps you're 2 seconds off the world record.

12. DriverN1

DriverN1 Registered

in real life meganŠµ has much more grip, especially on the low speed

13. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

Lack of low speed grip is and has been a pretty fundamental problem of just about any car sim ever, since the models that were used for tyres (Pacejka) have serious problems at low speeds, and the newer approaches (brush models etc.) haven't really been developed enough.

14. Nizmo

Nizmo Registered

Can any of you guys post some Megane setup tips or point me in the direction of some decent sets. I was racing online last night and although getting a bit quicker with slightly modified default setups, other guys were quicker in most turns. Would really appreciate it!

15. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

What sort of handling issues are you having? I don't have any problems with the car at 60km/hr. To me this car has ALOT of grip and handles alot like it should. I'm looking forward seeing what happens with it when tire updates start rolling in.

16. N0body Of The Goat

N0body Of The Goat Registered

17. TiTaN

TiTaN Registered

I use default and think its good. it makes you need skill to stay on track in the edge to drift. I like it.

18. brabham67

brabham67 Registered

I found it to be close to ok by default. Pushing the brake bias towards the front, and reducing lock will make cars handling more predictable. I have yet to do a race that lasted longer than 10 laps, so I'm not too concerned about tire wear. But in a long race the setup would have to be tweaked to make sure you didn't melt the rubber off of the wheels.

19. DriverN1

DriverN1 Registered

here anybody tried to drive megane in real life?

20. brabham67

brabham67 Registered

No, have you? Or more specifically have you driven the Megane represented in the game, and at Malaysia?