A little praise for the FFB

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ROON, Jan 13, 2012.

1. ROON

ROON Registered

Since the beta went live I've seen a lot of people complaining about the feel of the FFB, or violent movements by their wheel. Sometimes in the gaming community the dissatisfied appear louder than those who are happy, I'm not sure if that's the case now, but I'd just like to say that I love the feeling of the FFB. I'm running a Logitech G25, all default settings in the profiler, and default settings in rF2. I think the general feel of it all is lovely. I can predict what my EVE F2 is going to do before it does it, I can use the FFB to my advantage and wrangle my car into certain positions, etc. :) If the FFB were to change during the development, is it possible for those who do enjoy it in it's current form to keep these settings?

That's all. With the negativity that's been aired recently I just wanted to give it a bit of love. I encourage anyone who agrees to post as well!

------------------------------------------------

EDIT: Please also take the time to read Ian Mills' thread, which raises some good points and elaborates on why the current FFB is so great.

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/1813-The-day-we-recieved-a-sim.-Thanks-to-the-FFB

If the complaint filled forums regarding current FFB settings prompt ISI to change them, there appears to be a few of us who would like it to be optional. Some have suggested an in-game tab under the controls settings where users can modify the FFB to their liking. That way those of us who are enjoying it as is can keep our wheels rattling and shaking in all their glory.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  2. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

Absolutely!

The FFB in this game is next level. I used to think NkP was THE pinnacle of FFB.... That was until this beta was released. The tracks almost feel laser scanned.

Without a doubt the best FFB in any sim, current or past.

3. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

I'm enjoying the FFB as well although I've tinkered with it some. Thumbs up to the devs. for the FFB.

4. Goat

Goat Registered

I totally Agree. the FFB is awesome.

IMHO it is the goal to stay on the tarmac. I would bet if you drove your $250,000.00 + race car off road you would worry about breaking it. Personally this shows me that the wheel designers have their work cut out for them to provide a better product for the serious SIM driver.

5. Andrew McP

Andrew McP Registered

I'm just frustrated that with the same kit as you I'm not feeling the same detail and sense of control! :) Perhaps I'm just struggling with the transition between iRacing (where I'm most comfortable in the cockpit, though not the service, these days) or NKPro and rF2.

I certainly see great, believable things happening to my car, but so far my experiments with various settings haven't left me feeling as connected and involved as I'm used to. And there are others who I trust (from 10+ years of serious sims) who feel the same.

I am persevering though. There's always a transition period when getting used to a new sim, and there's always the chance my G25 might not be working perfectly after several years of use. So I have an open mind, unlike some of the voices who undoubtedly give feedback a bad name.

6. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

ISI's tire model and surface model is brand new. IMO you should give it time. Track conditions, tempurature, humidity are all variables now that you have to deal with. I suggest playing around with your FFB settings in the player/controller file as well. Also play with the car setup.

If you've spent alot of time with one single sim this is going to feel very strange to you I can imagine. Just my two cents. I just think this new track surface has thrown alot of people for a loop and aren't taking the time to figure out why. :p

7. D34N0

D34N0 Registered

I played rf1 for many years with the realfeel plugin, but then discovered NKPro's ffb and feeling of connection to the road surface and never looked back. I just couldn't play rf1 anymore after experiencing NKPro. rf1 just felt spongy and dead. The FFB in NKPro (IMO) was in a different league to rf1.

After watching the rf2 pre-beta videos and seeing the behavior of the tyre and suspension models i held high hopes for the ffb in rf2. And boy was I pleasantly surprised! I totally agree, ffb in rf2 is a huge improvement over rf1. I would even go as far as saying I now prefer it to the NKPRO ffb (I never thought i'd say that).

8. WallyM

WallyM Registered

I don't think it's there yet... try the Formula Renault in rF2 and then try the Formula 2000 in NKP - there's a world of difference. In NKP the car is tight and precise; in rF2 it's floaty and disconnected.
    The Meganes and Classics feel much better FFB-wise, admittedly, but still not as good as NKP in my opinion. It's not as progressive in the traction feedback, although improved audio will still have a lot to do with it in rF2.

9. buzard

buzard Registered

I could really use a good FFB setup tutorial. I've had a DFP for years but never used FFB ever. The reason is that I have to set anywhere from 10 to 30 setting for every mod. That's just insane. Plus you find post after post about bad FFB in a mod and people not using a mod because of poor FFB. By not using FFB all mods are pretty much the same as far as steering goes. However for RF2 I'd be willing to try.

My first attempts at just racing have proven interesting. Like having to turn my wheel about 3 full turns to get around the hairpin at Monaco. Not finding any steering ratio settings, no more than 27 degrees of steering have made just setting up steering a challenge period even without FFB. But it's just a matter of figuring it out.

So if there is a good FFB setup tutorial out there let me know.

10. Duvel

Duvel Registered

The thing i like the most is the immediacy of the feedback, it has made GTR Evo (which i always found pretty decent for FFB) seem positively sluggish and laggy by comparison. Clearly the refresh rate of the feedback is a big step forward. And that's just one small aspect of how good the feedback feels.

11. ajk

ajk Registered

I just read people who initially dissapointed at the FFB and numb feeling (like me) now praising it and driving the Megane. Folks have been exploring and tweaking controller.ini FFB settings and have seen the light now.

I will dive into secrets of .ini tonight, I just got thrilled again after seeing guys suddenly literally raving about how great the feel suddenly is.

ISI, we need to get rid of notepad and .ini tweaking! Please introduce more FFB options in GUI, torque dampers, smoothing etc. and ability to assign FFB for each car separately. With a few preset profiles for beginners. Realfeel allowed car specific settings and that was absolutely a must. Default setting may (DO) not work for every car, every wheel and every individual wheel driver setting. Limiting users ability to adjust the FFB to their hardware and liking does not do justice to the game.

12. ROON

ROON Registered

Exactly. And given the fact that a lot of race cars run no more than 10cm off the ground, one would expect a bumpy ride when taking a detour onto the grass or through a gravel trap.

I second what Cdn said. A good car setup makes a world of difference. For example, the default Megane setup around Mills' Inner Loop C feels absolutely awful in my hands. The car feels unpredictable, unresponsive, floaty and generally horrible to drive. But work on the setup of your suspension and downforce levels, and you'll begin to feel more in control. After tinkering with a few things I now feel in harmony and perfect control of the car.

So do make sure that your car setup is to your liking before assuming it's the FFB. :)

I experienced that in my first run also. It can be fixed by entering the settings, going to the controls pannel, and next to a slider that says "steering wheel range" there is a checkbox that says "vehicle set". Unselect that. To my understanding, this will mean that every car you drive will use your wheel's default range settings (200 degrees, 900 degrees, etc). If it is selected, it'll mean that rF2 will decide how much range you are given to use. The classic F1's may have 900, where as a Megane may have 200 (just an example, not real figures).

13. killerwatt

killerwatt Registered

I agree with the OP

14. magicfr

magicfr Registered

the FFB of this sim is the best. More precisely it's the couple NTM/FFB which is the best.
    Everybody complains about the rattle, but this rattle is realistic, when you go hard on kerb like portugal this is the normal reaction.
    I drive all sims, and in comparison i hated the FFB in rf1 , it was very very bad in everyway.

So, congratulation ISI. Now we just need to have a 60fps in Tripple screen and I could resiliate my iracing acount ;)

15. richiespeed13

richiespeed13 Registered

I LOVE the ffb!

+1000

16. Cellux

Cellux Registered

A rattling loud plastic box on your desk about to explode is not realistic. Naturally the wheel can't substitute the feel of the interior of a real car. Since wheel is our only feedback - no G force -, it's way more important to give USEFUL feedback on car status and grip. In a SIM environment, this sort of feedback is completely destroyed by the excessive and annoying rattling - even in case that happens in a real car which i somewhat doubt. Some SIMS have recognized this - eg FVA or Game Stock Car are miles ahead in the FFB department.

Btw the feeling must be different depending depending on HW. It may be ok in some. In my environment - and many others - it's not the question of good or bad, realistic or not, but it's an intolerable show stopped.

17. ROON

ROON Registered

I'm hearing about this a lot, but honestly I'm not seeing the problem. There is a noticeable rattle if you go onto grass, but I've not felt like it's enough to damage my wheel or seem like anything abnormal. Honestly, I've had far stronger FFB in LFS, to the point where my wheel was shaking the entire desk and things were falling off. The rF2 FFB feels strong but not excessive.

18. nickbalti

nickbalti Registered

My FBB is awful, BUT I have complete faith that it will be sorted/toned down.

And anyway, it's probably the settings in the Logitech Profiler. If anyone has DFGT settings that they use to hand I'd love them forever!

19. magicfr

magicfr Registered

It's rattle because you tire is ralling on kerb teeth, this is usefull feedback on status and grip
    On hard kerbs, with no power steering, if you don't grip your wheel enough,hard kerbs can make you lost the grip of it , because it can send very strong torque on the wheel shaft, so yes this is realistic, usefull.
    Now, I can agree that the grass and dirt part offroad is too bumpy or maybe too hard compare to reality, but on the kerb it's right on the spot for me.

20. Drathuu

Drathuu Registered

I too agree, the FFB is excellent.. I have no issues with the violent kicks, it reacs more like a racing car with firm suspension and reacting to bumps. Forums will always be primarily filled with moaners, its human nature to complain.. most of the people who like it dont bother coming to forums to post.

My initial observations - FFB is excellent. The default wheel rotation angle is too sensative.. ie you turn 10 degrees, and its like 30-40 degrees on the wheel in the sim, this should be toned down in default settings.. (but just my opinion).. making some notes to give some proper feedback.