Can we have a section for FFB only?

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by HuntTheShunt, Jan 12, 2012.

1. HuntTheShunt

HuntTheShunt Registered

ISI Can we have a section for FFB only?

Since the hot topic now is FFB and how to improve/adjust it.

The simulation is good considering it is beta after all :)

However, what all drivers want before the fancy stuff is to car feel through the wheel since excluding sound that is all we have to know what the car is doing.

rFactor1 had a number add-ons to improve FFB indicating that FFB could be improved; it would be good if we could all provide feedback (pun not intended) on this topic in one location so that ISI has constructive information on what works and how to improve it.

Please state what wheel you use.

(Logitech G25)

P.S. until we do get a much-needed separate section for the most important aspect of this simulation here are some important treads...

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.ph...nks-to-the-FFB
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/2271-A-little-praise-for-the-FFB
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/2620-Rfactor-2-Beta-A-comprehensive-constructive-review
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.p...ng-a-strong-noise-rattle-with-your-controller...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2012
  2. Kiro

Kiro Registered

G25
    Megane and F Renault no feel for what the rear is doing.
    60's are better but I'm not a fan of the floaty feeling.
    Curbs and off track WAY too much FFB.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2012
  3. That's just the way it feels IRL mate! ;)

4. Slothman

Slothman Registered

Lol..I hear ya :)

But the reason I do sim racing, and not real racing is cost :) When my wheel explodes I have to replace it :) If it gets too much, might as well be doing the real thing :)

5. HuntTheShunt

HuntTheShunt Registered

I'm not convinced that...
    Throttle effects on steer axis="1"
    Clutch effects on steer axis="1"
    Brake effects on steer axis="1"
    Gearbox effects on steer axis="1"
    actually work now I have fully tested them and seen the values change in the Player\Controller.ini

In the historic car if you lock the brake and floor the throttle you see the rear tyres smoke (turn sound off so the you are not influenced by any sound) but there no feeling as you crab the car left to right with the steering wheel.

However, as you let go of the brake you can feel the suspension movement.

So perhaps what we are not happy with is how the tyre effect is not working and we cannot moan about that because the read me file says the Tire Model is not completed?

6. HuntTheShunt

HuntTheShunt Registered

I did some back to back testing with netKarpro and Historics.
    In netKarPro you can feel the tyre movement in rFactor2 you cannot.

If you change the player.plr values times 10 to...
    Vehicle Scrubbing VolMult="0.0006103520" // old "0.0000610352"
    Vehicle Skidding VolMult="0.00122" // old "0.0001220703"
    These values are to high for normal use but allow you to hear the tyres slide/skidd; this what you cannot feel through FFB!

It is either the tyre model that is not reporting the fact the tyre is slipping or the FFB engine is not updating the steering wheel.

Since the tyre is reporting to the sound engine (your ears tell you that) my conclusion is the fault lies with the FFB engine/code.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2012
  7. Sam Moss

Sam Moss Registered

8. ROON

ROON Registered

Kiro, perhaps it is your FFB settings, but may I please stress that a good setup is key to feeling in harmony with your car. The default Megane setup is very bad and needs tweaking before it is raceable. A good setup makes a world of difference to how the FFB feels and reacts to your car's movements.

G25 wheel, default profiler settings, default rF2 settings.

9. Kiro

Kiro Registered

Hehe, my comment was 3 days ago. LOL
    Things coming along nicely, thanks!

10. HuntTheShunt

HuntTheShunt Registered

The slide feel is much better in Formula Renault 3.5 than Historics!

Throttle effects on steer axis="1"
    Brake effects on steer axis="1"

car not tested with out the above.

G25

11. Kiro

Kiro Registered

I've been waiting a week to say this but, NKPRO is still lightyears ahead of this and I only use that very infrequently.
    (I hate that sim because there can be 20 guys on track and I still feel like I'm by myself.)
    Was really expecting at least the equivelent in FFB.
    Sry, the way it is, maybe has to do with the ISI mods.

Go ahead and flame me. You know nkpro id best for ffb.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2012
  12. Cellux

Cellux Registered

What's the "official" opinion and plans for current FFB implementation? Is there going to be a bigger rework or it's considered acceptable in general and just minor adjustments will be made? Is the API good enough for creating custom FFB plugins?

In my opinion at current stage compared to FVA or GSC the difference in the quality and usefulness of FFB is night and day. I'm just curious what are the prospects on this.

13. HuntTheShunt

HuntTheShunt Registered

14. can`t wait 4 rF2

can`t wait 4 rF2 Registered

++1

I love the gears from my G25 too :p

15. HuntTheShunt

HuntTheShunt Registered

16. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

And for what "major updates to FF" you are looking for?

17. HuntTheShunt

HuntTheShunt Registered

More adjustment options for the FFB...
    Ability to turn down the suspension FFB because it seems to overwhelm the tyre slide FFB.

18. Marek Lesniak

I think, the idea is to have FF as "untouched" as possible (and taken from steering rack). So everything you feel, comes from tyres and suspension. No faked effects. If suspension geometry is correct and forces coming from tyres are OK too, then it should work properly... for a particular car. We can bump up or lower overall FF forces and I think that's enough. Anything more (like changing, how much suspension or tyres affecting FF) spoils the idea. Well, at least for me.

If there is something wrong with FF, check if that's with all cars or just some of them. That will tell if the issue is with FF in general or just with some cars (bad susp geometry or tyre parameters)... or maybe that's how it should be :)

19. HuntTheShunt

HuntTheShunt Registered

I agree that there should be no faked effects like the saw tooth rumble but since we are not sat in the car and have no other interface with what the car is doing (ignoring sound for the moment) each driver should have the choice of what FFB he/she has.

If you prefer the FFB as it is ok, but let others have a tick box that gives them access to more settings to allow them to tailor the FFB to their needs.

As for all effects coming from the rack I cannot see how that works since when my real car/cart looses grip at the rear it is my middle ear that tells me not the wheel. In rFactor 1 the wheel goes light if the rear goes loose and the simulator shows oversteer.

20. Marek Lesniak

If rear wheel goes loose, you should feel steering wheel pulling itself to countersteer (more or less, depending on front suspension geometry). That's how it works in real world and that's how it works in rF 1 (RealFeel) and rF 2.
    Of course, middle ear sensations allow you to have more control over the car but you should be able to feel oversteer on your steering wheel.