Car runs in slow motion even with average 70fps

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by GrimDad, Jan 12, 2012.

1. ThomasH

ThomasH Registered

Exacly the same problem. (See thread "uncomfortable lag in servers")

G25
    Core2duo
    8800 gtx

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2012
  2. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I've been told that if you get the slow motion effect in online, it's due to a problem with larger numbers of drivers and the crash data being sent/recd. So either cleaner driving in the server as a whole, smaller entry lists, or awaiting a fix is what you need. While the OP seems to have a different issue, and also needs a fix.

3. coops

coops Banned

ty Tim will let my admin know this

4. vali

vali Registered

I had the same issues online. From time to time, the thing goes in slow-motion and then works ok again. I thought it was my dated PC :rolleyes:

5. Krisech

Krisech Registered

The issue GrimDad was having was with only 3 cars on the server - all experienced on line racers who were racing clean in a passworded server.

He had a "drag race" with another Megane and poor old GrimDad looked like he was driving a Reliant Robin.

Also, just to clarify, there are no stuttering issues, it's simply that hius car will show him doing 128mph, and another car (doing 128mph) will go past him like he's standing still.

6. mojododo

mojododo Registered

Im having the exact issue grimdad is. Game is slowmotion with very slippery physics, and the whole feel of speed is 20km/h. all testing in single player, full grid of ai or by myself is the same result.

averaging 50fps, everything full hdr off, 5760x1080 res and exact same problem with 1920x1080 res.

pc: i7 965 @ 4ghz, 12gb ram, asus r2e, 2xgtx480sli, windows7 64bit.

wheel and pedals: CST f1 pedals, Frex simwheel v1.

7. Michael Borda

Michael Borda Car Team

1. First thing to try, make sure your wheel drivers are the LATEST possible. - Probably a good idea to make sure your chip set and graphics drivers are current while you're at it.

Restart and test - If that doesn't work
    2. Open your controller.ini Skip updates="0" // Apparently some drivers can't handle a quick FFB update rate, so use this hack to skip the given number of updates (0=full update rate, 1=half, 2=one-third, 3=one-quarter, etc.)

Try 1 or higher values, if this fixes the slow motion, then it's a wheel driver issue. This slows the FFB update below the default so we really only recommend it as a last resort.

8. ROEDxTzaca

ROEDxTzaca Registered

@Grimdad , check also in game/profiler if your throttle goes full range , if not , unplug your pedals from USB and plug again.

9. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

Just an observation: Almost everyone who's reporting this and posted their specs has an AMD CPU. Only 3 have Intel.

10. mojododo

mojododo Registered

Hello Michael, thankyou for your response, i have seen the skip updates noted in a few areas so far, but this one worked perfectly for me. Seems the Frex drivers/software cant handle the level of updates being sent to it. Now that i think of it it happens to slomo more when there would be more ffb to do.

Maybe something you should put in your controllers section of the installation manual.

11. GrimDad

GrimDad Registered

I've tried the skip updates fix using 1,2 & 3 with no change to the problem.
    Wheel drivers are 115
    nvidia graphic drivers are 285.62
    I will check the chipset drivers soon and report back

I have used detect controller in the settings and it found my wheel and says porsche wheel.
    All axis are reaching maximum.

I never knew I had this problem until I went online and saw how fast other drivers were. I just thought the game was very difficult to drive. It runs smooth both on and offline...no stuttering.

Thanks for the input and suggestions so far.
    I'd be happy to give remote assist access to one of the Developers if it would help.

12. a1gpmatty

a1gpmatty Registered

Hi guys,

Thanks for all of the tips. The stuttering is now much less, and my FPS is good. However, I am still having the "slow motion" effect and the AI is still flickering

As I previously said, I do not own a wheel at present so am using the keyboard.

I hope this can be resolved

Thanks, Matthew

13. GrimDad

GrimDad Registered

I checked the chipset drivers and there were no newer versions for my motherboard.
    I did find newer audio drivers which didn't change the way rf2 runs. It did however improve the depth of my bass ;)

For now I'm dropping out of the beta so I've requested a refund.

14. Mr Brownstone

Mr Brownstone Registered

I've experienced this once

I've been driving on and off line, off line no problem, online with 6 or 8 cars loaded it's still no problem, brilliant in fact:)

2 nights ago I went onto a server with 20+ cars loaded and rain, as I left the pits it was all in slowmo and 3 or 4 guys just drove past even tho I had my foot to the floor, I put it down to the server and left, went back to the RD server and all was well again (less cars tho and no rain)

It's a bit like one of those dreams where your trying to run but somethings pulling you back ;)

I thought it just a temporary clitch and wasn't going to raise the issue until I saw this thread

I'll keep you posted if it happens again

Jim

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2012
  15. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

As I said, the OP has a different issue.

16. a1gpmatty

a1gpmatty Registered

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I do all of my races offline. It is a strange problem.

17. vali

vali Registered

Intel here too.

18. Martin Keets

Martin Keets Registered

19. GrimDad

GrimDad Registered

:) I thought I was the OP, Krisech has witnessed my issue so his input is valid.

20. Anakin

Anakin Registered

Same happening here. Specs are i5-750, 560gtx, 16gb and G27. All settings are low and everything else than shadows are turned off. At mills with Meganes fps around 70-90 with other cars.

I have the skip updates = 1, but it's not helping.

Is there any more information about what is causing this? As my own interconnection is solid 110M/5M and our server has 100M/100M. Is this more like a issue that server is running out of CPU while processing collisions or is it just that 100M is not enough for ~20 drivers? It's clearly not happening to all drivers at the same time as other people are passing you while you are in slow motion mode.