MoTec or REal Time Telelmetry support?

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by Guy Moulton, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Lazza

Lazza Registered

It takes very little time to load up the game (single or multiplayer), then quit out and look at the .ini. You don't need to actually get into the car, the .ini is created on startup. This serves as a simple indicator of whether the plugin is actually running (supply an .ini with it, and people will complain that it's not working despite changing all the .ini values... and eventually you work out it's never actually loaded).

So that's your answer, Cdn... if you can't find an .ini the plugin isn't in the right place or isn't loading for some reason (hopefully that particular issue has been fixed, though)

I'm aware of the user agreement in Motec, I made mention of it months ago as a reason rF2 wouldn't come with Motec support (tried finding my post but I've... uh... posted too many things to wade through :eek: ) and I know we're skirting the bounds of legality here.

That doesn't change the fact the software itself is free. If you had to get a 'patch' to make it run, I would either buy it or not use it, and I wouldn't supply anything that helped to circumvent the protection system. I also wouldn't help develop any device that could be used in place of a Motec-brand logger in order to analyse real telemetry in i2Pro. By the same token if Motec themselves released an rF/2 plugin I would happily stop supplying my own.

I haven't made a lot of noise about this plugin, I didn't expect a few sites to post it up, I didn't expect it to appear on anyone's twitter feed :eek: , I've been very reluctant to post directly to the Motec site or give clear instructions on its installation and use. I made these plugins for my personal use, and anyone who decides to install Motec's free software should read and understand its user license when doing so.

2. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

I agree completely with your sentiment, and am thankful you've released it publicly. I don't think copyright was correctly used terminology in that post, seems like scare tactics more then legally binding. Breach of EULA is more like it. If I had purchased an ADM their official stance is that I can't open logs created by rFactor. Seems silly. It isn't like you are taking money out of their pocket by scripting something compatible with i2. I've never seen them charge for i2. Trying to enforce how something they make readily available gets used is like telling a league they can't use your readily available mod.

My point in posting was to educate on their stance as well as steer people away from posting for official support on their boards.

Does anyone understand how to pull up Details and use them in Maths? Any reference to "Total Laps" always ends up throwing a fit.

3. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

What do you seek to 'math' ? Custom expressions can be easily defined, by clicking desired channels and add the math - they will then show as a new math-channel.

4. Fergy

Fergy Registered

Second that Brilliant:) works with i2p 1.18.0017 for me too. Thank you.

Any way to get tyre temps working?

5. lordpantsington

Total Laps-2=# of safe laps,
    Grab time accumulation,
    Grab fuel numbers,
    Run numbers,
    Get avg fuel use per lap/fuel use per minute.

I can see total laps in my details, just attempting to use that in a Math is where that is failing. This applies to rf not rf2.

6. Dany Mitchel

Dany Mitchel Registered

Hi Can some one please tell me if a red plug symbol means it is working or is it green when it works.
    When I pit out I get a RED 2 Pin Plug Icon in top left when I Pit Out by the end of the pit lane it has disappeared
    I have a MotecPlugin.ini
    and the content is as follows

Code:
    // MotecPlugin Parameters file

[MotecPlugin]
    Log dir = "LOG\" // Directory to log to; relative to rFactor root if not absolute (e.g. "C:\Log files\")
    Logging on = "Plugins\MotecPlugin\LoggingOn.wav" // Sound file (wav) to play when logging is switched on
    Logging off = "Plugins\MotecPlugin\LoggingOff.wav" // Logging switched off
    One log built = "Plugins\MotecPlugin\OneLogBuilt.wav" // Sound to play when a log file has been built, with more pending
    All logs built = "Plugins\MotecPlugin\AllLogsBuilt.wav" // Sound when all pending log data has been built
    Idle log cycles = 25000 // Log build cycles to perform per frame when idle (at monitor)
    Duty log cycles = 2500 // Log build cycles to perform per frame when busy (in-car, driving)
    Active on startup = 0 // Sets whether logging is active by default; 0 = no, 1 = yes
    Activation key = M // Key to press to (de)activate logging; single character (0-9, A-Z) or key code (eg 0x4D)
    Key modifier = 2 // Modifier to be pressed with activation key; specify ONE of: 0=none, 1=shift, 2=ctrl, 3=alt
    Realtime building = 1 // Whether to start building logs while still in-car; 0 = no, 1 = yes

[Channels]
    Data rate = 0 // Telemetry capture rate; Enter a value from -2 (useful minimums) to 2 (100Hz all channels)
    Inputs mode = 1 // Log unfiltered or filtered controls input; 1 = unfiltered, 2 = filtered, 3 = both
    Aerodynamics = 1 // Log rF2s extra aero info (drag, front/rear downforce, front wing height, front/rear rideheights; 0 = off, 1 = on
    Contact patch = 1 // Tyre contact patch channels (ground and patch velocities); 0 = off, 1 = on

Is the Log Dir right?

7. kart38

kart38 Registered

Dany, you can have the ini file save your Motec files anywhere you want. For instance, mine are saved into my C:\Users\Jason\Motec\rF2. In rF1 I have all my different installs save to different folders in the "Motec" folder, keeps them nicely organized.

As for whether or not the plugin is working. That symbol tells you it is loaded properly, you have to enable logging by pressing CTRL M.

Jason

8. Dany Mitchel

Dany Mitchel Registered

thx for the heads up

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2012
  9. RayH

RayH Registered

Hi Lazza,

Many thanks for the effort. I have the plugin image, dropping musical notes, rising notes as I hit cntl-M, even ge the 'All logs created wav as I leave the game BUT
    no ini
    no Log.

Have an Intel Quad 4 with Windows 7

I created a Log directory under rFactor2 but no impact. the dll is next to the netcommutil.. dll.

Other than not having lead an upstanding and correct life, what am I doing wrong? I noticed a comment about a trace being useful, how can I create one for you.

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Check the telemetry thread in the wish list section - you probably have UAC on. Or do a file search for MotecPlugin.ini

11. kart38

kart38 Registered

Posted on page two, but easy to miss. If I hadn't needed the info myself I wouldn't have known where to find it.

Check here:
    C:\Users\"YourLoginName"\AppData\Local\VirtualStor e\Program Files (x86)\rFactor2\MotecPlugin.ini

Jason

12. Dany Mitchel

Dany Mitchel Registered

Love you all got it working

13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Note to self: Double-check your current location before posting when browsing on your phone :eek:

Thanks for helping kart38 :D

14. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I'm not sure you can actually reference that info. You might have noticed i2Pro has a built in 'Oversteer' calculation that uses the Vehicle Wheelbase - but if you select, copy, and paste that expression to create a new Maths channel, it refuses to accept the Vehicle Wheelbase figure.

15. RayH

RayH Registered

Thanks Jason!!!!,

That was were it was and now I now longer have to doubt my self worth as an individual ;-) I really appreciate it and so does my dog (I am not proud of it but she does suffer 'cause I blame her when I feel bad)

So now on to the second generation of questions: I get my log and it loads nicely for the first run of the session but after that subsequent runs on the same track seem to have the same .ldx file name (different timestamp) but the .ld file is not updated. So I when I go to load the new session all I see is the old serssion and that is what is loaded. This happens even if I deleat the .ldx file associated with the older .ld file.

Other behavior, perhaps not realted: the plugin seems to only gneerate .ldx files. The .ld file is generated by MoTeC?

Other than leaving the rFactor and renaming the files is there a way to either overwrite the previous session or have a new name generated. I just found that running as Adminstrator makes this issue go away and the MoTeC ini file is now in rFactor home directory and rfactor2/Log is the default location of multiple logs

Also is the list of channels available that I see in MoTeC the full list of available channels? i.e. damper velocity is not in the list. Also found a math definition of Velocity but it uses a non-existant cheannel (left over from SPADS configuration?) So experimenting with damper position but not there yet in config.

Many thanks again for the support of all in the quest to define a functional telemetry system.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2012
  16. lordpantsington

I just turned that Math channel on, and is showing numbers for me. Of course I manually edited the wheelbase detail to hold info. I believe rf doesn't read/write that value correctly. I wonder if the "Total Laps" value is a string, instead of a numeral?

17. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Yep, it creates them as a 'quick reference' for future folder listings.

I'm not at home right now, but I think the default project setup picks up the positions and calculates the velocities - 'susp pos' though, not 'damper'. I don't recall having to remap them (though it's been a while), and I tried to match the sample log when I named the various channels so they'd work out of the box.

In my rF1 plugin I was reading wheelbase from memory, but it only worked when there was a wheelbase override in the HDV; otherwise you do have to manually edit it for the Oversteer channel (and graph) to work. But create your own channel with the exact same formula and it won't accept 'Vehicle Wheelbase'. Hopefully there's a way around it.

I'd like to populate a few more of the details, might be able to reliably find the temporary setup file that apparently gets created by rF/2 and read things in from there. Personally I'd like to get some setup info somewhere as well, I think i2Pro can do 'setup sheets' but I've never looked into exactly what it does or how I'd go about automatically generating them :)

Can I please request that 'new' questions are posted in this thread - this discussion no longer belongs in the wish list section. Thanks :)

18. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

The Vehicle Wheelbase must be edited manually in the "Details" og the loaded data. This info is not ported, but feed it with something like 2580mm, and it will work - once you have corrected the channels and new math, since steering is no longer in degrees but percentages. And I even think, that the current oversteer-math uses Rads, not Degrees - some editing still...

19. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Yep, realised my mistake earlier... I was so used to rF1 I forgot rF2 wasn't supplying a wheelbase, hence the Vehicle Wheelbase not being entered and not working in the calc. With it entered in manually a new expression works fine.

And Motec will use rads or degrees, it autoconverts, so no worries at all.

Oh, and 'Steered Angle' = ('Toe FL' [rad] + 'Toe FR' [rad]) / 2

seems to work fine.

20. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

I recalculate the Angle from procentage to degrees, by multiplying with the vehicles/wheels preset "Steering angle" (270 to 900 - or whatever you set it) - and then degrees to rad by:

Radians = Degress X (Pi/180)
    Degrees = Radians X (180/Pi)

I've not had much succes with MoTeCs auto-convert