Real Road Track Surface

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Bill Malicoat, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Bill Malicoat

Bill Malicoat Registered

Will it work with more than one material on the track mesh itself? Also with more than one grip level for each material.

For example, a concrete patch will have a different "base" grip in the TDF then the rest of the tarmac. Will the rubber lay down work seamless with the two different materials?

2. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Because rubber layer is a separate layer above the main road, I think it should provide consistent grip levels on both surfaces (as long as the same amount were layed out on both of them). I'm wondering, what happens before you hit a rubber layer thick enough to say, that properties of surface beeing below rubber doesn't matter. Will you still feel a difference between tarmac with some rubber vs concrete patch with some (same amount) rubber?

EDIT: Right... I forgot it's the shader using all those maps (they are not as separate layers). Sorry for confusion.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2012
  3. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

As long as the objects and materials are set up for RealRoad, you shouldn't have any problem with multiple materials. Different TDF values should also work fine.
    RealRoad is not layered on top of the mesh, it is integrated into the RealRoad shader.

4. Rayo_McQueen

Rayo_McQueen Registered

I have read the documentation of Track Tecnology, but there is some things that i don't understand.

Do you share an example of track with realroad material, please?

Thanks.

5. DmitryRUS

DmitryRUS Registered

I this work saw with most have begun, gumming and drying goes from all surface of the car, whether it is possible to make from a stain of a wheel instead of from all bottom of the car?
    Or it will develop? Traces of tires remaining after strong braking to the former disappear sharply, in certain length, whether probably this system to make at level shader?

6. Luc Van Camp

We plan to share a piece of Joesville with all the new stuff applied.

I'm not sure if I understand your question correctly, but I think each tyre influences RealRoad, rather than the car in a whole.

7. DmitryRUS

DmitryRUS Registered

Because of my bad English language, I have tried to show visually that that I mean.
    It concerns not only trajectory drying, but also a rubber trajectory.
    I was passed 3 circles for the speed 40km/ch, on cold rubber, and the road for me has dried up... At you drying is based on scripts?

[​IMG]
    I don't want to hold up as an example other simulator, but it is necessary...
    [​IMG]
    It concerns a rubber trajectory. On video the Increased expense of rubber that is more evident.

8. Luc Van Camp

Right, I see what you mean. RealRoad is poly-based, meaning the grip, etc. will change per polygon as you drive over it.

9. DmitryRUS

DmitryRUS Registered

I have one idea, but I while think as it for you to represent...
    And after strong braking, traces of tires on a surface, they disappear...

I will soon prepare a material and in this theme I will lay out...

10. Robin Frischkopf

Robin Frischkopf Registered

Does the track really get darker on the racing line with all categories? In F1 for example you always see quite the opposite and the racing line gets cleaner all the time while the outside of corners gets darker and dirtier by contrast.

11. Marek Lesniak

Does it mean, we have to create tracks with very small polygons for roads, in order to get what DmitryRUS showed on the second picture (trace only where we actually drived, not the whole width of a car and some more)?

12. Luc Van Camp

Right now some of the logic behind RealRoad generation is still missing, so the effect isn't quite what will be in the final version. Braking zones do get darker even in F1. RealRoad makes a distinction between 'rubber' and 'marbles', so it will be possible to get a better balance between the two once the final code is implemented.

Dmitry's method is indeed achievable if the surface polygon density is high enough. In the end, we need to find a compromise between track and car quality. Remember that each poly requires calculations as it is being 'tagged' by a tyre, so the more polys you tag, the heavier CPU usage will be. The great thing is that, if computer development stays at its current pace, this feature is scalable, and eventually we could end up having really detailed 3D surfaces :) .

I personally wouldn't mind running box cars on a high poly surface right now. I don't like cars, that's why I'm a track guy :) . Other people prefer render models driving on low poly track surfaces. In the end, it's all about finding a good compromise between cars and tracks. I can say I'm happy that rF2 puts more emphasis on the track surface. That's where a lot of polys will go :) .

13. DmitryRUS

DmitryRUS Registered

I so have understood there alpha channels on structures are drawn

14. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Quite all sims do/show it in wrong way. IN reality there are at least 3 effects on the road
    1. "ironed" rubber into surface - it reflects light easily, including blue light of the sky. That's why best line is going to be brighter, especially in some angles. Depending on racing series, best line trajectory it may turn into single wide stripe or into 2 stripes (made by left and right wheels separately). It is mostly visible in corners, but also a bit on straights
    2. darker part appearing on one or both sides of the first one, usually in corners)- its covered by particles of the rubber thrown out from the tyres. It doesn't reflect light, rather diffuse it. It is dirtiest part of the surface. You can see it often during modern F1 race. Comparing to simulations you will be surprised: sims makes best line darker, when in reality part of surface next to BL are darker
    3. skids - it is fresh rubber just worn from tyres. It does not reflect light (you can see it made in wrong way in C.A.R.S - skids are brighter which is incorrect)

There are also braking zones which utilizes a lot of all those types of effect. You can imagine it. There are a lot of "ironed" rubber, fresh skids and a lot of dirt.

What about moving RealRoad data into second layer which is responsible for microbumps etc. It will cause no need to create high density vissible 3d model o surface

15. Marek Lesniak

When you have transient weather conditions, the tricky part is to stay only on drying line - which in fact is as two drying stripes, if you are on slicks. So when you guys said that rubber is layed down for each car, each tyre, I assumed that also works for drying line and it's exacly like that - for each tyre contact patch.

Instead of tagging polys, can't it be done based on it's relative position in track (based on AIW or other data?)? You have all physical data (including tread width for each tyre) to know exactly, where each tyre is on the track at the moment and do all rubber-in/dry-out calculations based on that?

16. Luc Van Camp

Theoretically, that would seem like a different, possible approach. Eventually though, this data needs to be sent from the CPU to the GPU, which needs to process the data onto the mesh. I think RealRoad is a very good compromise at the moment.

17. DmitryRUS

DmitryRUS Registered

My offer, can it and isn't realizable...
    Each layer of a card has the an alpha the channel, these are layers of pure asphalt, rubber, drying, wet, a dust, a dirt and тд,
    The car on different efforts of braking of sliding and тд draws on an alpha the channel the left trace, through what that time this trace can amplify or be weakened, by the further degradation, a wind or temperature.
    Some kind of a brush to each wheel, there will be therefore a miscalculation not on triangles a considerable quantity of ranges, and for the size of a structure, from 512х512 to 2048х2048
    [​IMG]
    hosting images

And still the moment here these traces of braking vanish very quickly and sharply. Their value in TDF = Max=2500 it isn't enough, same was and in rFactor1... Their increase in 10 times leads to a collapse of loading of a line.
    [​IMG]