Severe jaggies with ATI

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Marc Collins, Jan 12, 2012.

1. DocJones

DocJones Registered

I have the same issue and had it in rF1 where I was able to use SSAA, but can't any longer in rF2 beta for performance reasons. I really hope this can be fixed somehow without the need to use SSAA. It's really a very big problem as the image looks unsettled once the car starts to move. When racing you usually look quite far ahead, and the moving steps in the lines because of carmovement and directionchanges make it a very unpleasent experience. I always thought it was a ATI issue, but it seems to occur with Nvidia cards aswell. I could live with bad AA on the cars/cockpit, but these unsettled looking trackmarkings is a really big problem for me.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2012
  2. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Whatever it is that's causing the problem doesn't affect the 10 or so other racing sims I use. This problem has been in rFactor 1 since 2005, so I don't think it is a mystery. The question is what other (presumably worse) problem occurs when they fix it? It must be a long-recognized problem at ISI.

3. Duvel

Duvel Registered

My worry is, will they fix them?

As you say, this AA issue, but also the texture flickering issue are both RF1 problems, and pretty large ones by my standards. Never was anything done about them. They absolutely need to correct this and the flickering texture issues also happening in rf2 (which comes from rf1 as well and is also in race07).

Pretty sure 95% of people accepted this with RF1 because (1) most could run SSAA and still get high frame rates, making it a non-issue, and (2) others accepted these issues because it's an old title. I cannot see them being tolerated in RF2, nor should they.

I absolutely understand this is a beta, but because both of these issues are RF1 issues that never went away, I feel quite strongly about them. They just don't feel like beta issues, they feel deeper than that.

4. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

I concur 100%.

5. kludger

kludger Registered

Same exact problem here on a 5870, and the frustrating part is seeing how nice it looks on a friend's NV 570 GTX, I know this is a beta so I can understand, but please ISI for the final we shouldn't have to run SuperSampling just to not have jaggies on ATI, otherwise be prepared for lots of grief coming from many reviewers if they are on ATI.

I saw Tim Wheatley post that he is on a 5870 and runs max settings and sees no issues, which is really confusing unless he knows some trick that we do not.

Hopefully ISI can share that trick or is working with ATI on tweaks to the gfx engine on driver improvements or something.

Enjoying rF2 as is (especially for a beta) but would love to have the jaggies gone.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2012
  6. pavsko

pavsko Registered

I have NV GTX 460, having the same issue with jagged edges (see my previous post) and I have tried many combinations with SS but unfortunatelly with no or only little effect. Still far from perfect state i wish to have.

Pls, would you share with me settings of your friend? Thx.

7. pavsko

pavsko Registered

I totally agree !

8. Omicron

Omicron Registered

You're right, negative mip bias should not be used on those areas. Bias 0 fixed that problem in rFactor, I guess its the same in rFactor 2.

9. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

The use of SuperSampling AA is how to fix the jaggies (at the expense of a massive performance hit) on ATI cards. There are undoubtedly other solutions for nVIDIA...lots of threads about those on here somewhere.

10. kludger

kludger Registered

Sure I will ask him his NV settings and report back if he sends them to me, in the meantime as Marc mentions there's good info on here about those I bet.

11. Cracheur

Cracheur Registered

well there are probably around 500 posts on AA issues and I'm sad to see ISI replying: did you do that, did you enable AA, are you sitting in front of your screen. YES we did. Yes we tried around 300 possible configurations between CCC and ingame.
    @ ISIS: Reading your replies, it seems you are still questioning if the issues exists or not?
    If all is running so smoothly at your end, could you pls post your CCC and ingame settings with some screenshoots and HD videos.
    I think people are not blaming you here or expecting this to be fixed rapidly. We only want to know if you are aware of the issue or not. Honestly, this AA issue kills any pleasure in doing further testing with Rf2. It just looks horrible.

Could me maybe just get a
    A) "ok, we are looking into it."
    B) we could not reproduce this error. > here are our settings and some pics/vids. Can you reply with the same, that we can identify the issues.
    btw: http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey > 38% of all gamers have ATI.

12. Duvel

Duvel Registered

Here here. I too eagerly await an official response the the AA problem, the sooner the better, if possible.

13. DocJones

DocJones Registered

I found settings that make it possible for me to use SSAA even in races, but still SSAA is such a big performance loss that should't be necessary just to get an image that dosn't make your eyes hurt or give you headaches after 10 minutes of driving. I know I just have an entry level grafics card by todays standarts, but seeing the same issue that was there 5 years ago not being fixed even in this early beta state is surprising, to say the least.

14. Cracheur

Cracheur Registered

I'm also surprised (to be more precise disappointed) to find such things again. Reading other posts, Nvidia users have similar issues, so it seems to be an engine issue. In 2012, you shouldn't have to mess around with driver settings. I only have 2 non-default profile in CCC: rfactor 1 with SSAA and edge-detect... and RF2 with SSAA, no edge detect as it's unplayable with ED.

For now, I'm done with the beta until the GFX and FFB are getting reasonable. Some people state that FFB is amazing... sorry I can't agree, it doesn't feel natural on my GT3RS V2. Some new effect are really cool, like slipping of front-tires on under-steer. For the rest, it all stays behind a good rfactor 1 realfeel mod. Sorry to mention the competition but I was expecting FFB at least at iRacing level and not below Rf1. Yes even in the beta: what's a sim-racing about? FFB and physics. So what is finalized if not these ones?
    Except the visuals and GUI (apart from AA and performance), I don't see any direct improvement on RF1 and that's disappointing. Even the server browser remains as horrible as before. You even can't filter on mods, tracks etc... Yes, mod handling has been dramatically improved and obviously lots of work has been put into. Is ISI maybe counting on moders to finish RF2?

No, I will not ask a refund as I'm sure RF2 will become great... when, well this is another question, I doubt that 6 months will be enough.

YES, this might be harsh statement but that's my honest opinion, even for a beta(that has gone through closed beta). Let's see in 6 months, who was right... to be honest I really hope that I am mistaken.

Luckily enough, the Historic GT & TC 1.9 was released some weeks ago... Many people have missed it because it's not released on rfactorcentral. It's an absolute BLAST! Give it a try!

EDIT on FFB: I'd like to revise my comments on FFB . I've been playing RF1 / Iracing and RF2 tonight to compare the FFB.
    Actually the FFB in RF2 is definitely an improvement on RF1. It's much more detailed and adds some new effects. However it seems to be "too detailed" at the moment, hence giving a strange feedback sometimes. On the other side, this means as well that it probably only needs to be filtered adjusted.

RF1 Historic mod delivers great feedback as well, however once you've driven RF2, you miss the new effects immediately. (i.e. understeer)

I'll not compare it to Iracing as this is first public beta release. It might just not be fair at that point. However as mentioned earlier, it seems that RF2 has lots of potential in terms of FFB.

even if there wasn't an angry reply to so far, I just wanted to edit this post to be remain objective and fair.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2012
  15. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Or just asking for more information, more likely...

16. Cracheur

Cracheur Registered

Didn't mean to offend you, I'm just very surprised that you didn't encounter this during your internal testing, as it seems to be a general issue for all ATI users. (there are many threads about it)
    I might have had an "emotional moment" as well when writing this post... I was maybe a bit frustrated that I don't manage to get proper image quality and enjoy the beta...

Anyway, now that we have your attention-;) How can we help? Below once more my experience, which I seem to share with many ATI users.
    As mentioned the description it's pretty straight forward:
    I tested RF2 on on 2 different ATI cards: 5870 + 7970. To be clear, I have no performance issues at all. Game runs smooth even with the 5870 on ~ full detail.

The main issue is the "jaggies"; racing lines and other lines where AA seems not to work.
    I've tried all possible AA levels ingame / forced all different modes in driver.
    I can only get reasonable quality (I mean nice looking racing lines > "AAed") if i set the derive to Supersample AA.
    All other settings look horrible, sorry for the word but it's the case.
    (whatever level you use, with the 7970 I tried all 8 levels, with the 5870 the 3 levels available)

MSAA + ingame AA > very bad AA quality.
    Adaptive AA + ingame AA > very bad AA quality.
    SS AA + ingame AA > reasonable AA, however still not perfect. AA in RF1 is still better on SSAA than RF2.

MSAA + driver AA > very bad AA quality.
    Adaptive AA + driver AA > very bad AA quality.
    SS AA + driver AA > reasonable AA, however still not perfect. AA in RF1 is still better on SSAA than RF2.

SS AA, can't be the solution on long term: it's eats too much performance. Even with my 7970, I have to turn settings ingame down to constant FR ~50.
    Secondly, even with SS AA, the AA quality is still not really good. It's bearable but not acceptable in my eyes for a game like RF2 in 2012.

I think you will find this description of the issue in many threads and there has not been a single post of an ATI user that said that we had good AA. (or?)

I've tried more or less all possible combination between ingame, driver etc...
    To be very clear, it's all about AA image quality and not performance.

Do you need some more info? If I can help in any way, let me know.

Cheers

17. Krunch

Krunch Registered

I too just wanted to add that as an ATI user I am getting the same graphical issues. No amount of tweaking makes the game look good AND have playable performance. I get the feeling these issues are more than just the normal lack of optimisation found in a typical beta. I'm confident that ISI are looking into it and hopefully they can gather enough information to pinpoint the problems sooner rather than later. Time will tell.

18. NightnDay

NightnDay Registered

a problem that is existing since 2005... I´m sure that it will not be fixed !

ALSO WHERE IS THE PROBLEM TO POST YOUR MAGICAL SETTINGS WITHOUT USING SSAA TIM?!
    2 Screenshots, that shouldn´t take so long ...

19. juggle

juggle Registered

hi,

rf2 setup 1920x1080; AA none; vsync off;

Then in amd control i set 8X box; ansio 16X_tesselation -use app;Catylist Ai-quality; mip map-high performance;Anti -aliasing-multisample.
    in game:see jpg
    i am finding less jaggies and no discernible difference in control lag.
    edit:Havent had much time so found best for time soln. Maybe better out there.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2012
  20. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

I too suffer from jaggies with my ATI HD6970 2GB.
    Everything on MAX,except shadows.