Severe jaggies with ATI

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Marc Collins, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

This is the one hold-over from rFactor 1 that it least wanted...sigh.

I am saddened that the same graphics engine is being used.

As with rFactor, no matter what AA and AF settings you play with, the sim looks like crap unless you set the AA Mode to Super-sample AA in the ATI control panel. This decimates frame rates.

Every other piece of 3D gaming software I have ever used, except rFactor and now rFactor2, looks gorgeous on the Adaptive Multi-sample AA setting. In fact, I have only one profile in my graphics software that requires any adjustment and it is this.

So our choice is to have the most appalling looking jaggies (from the 1990s), or, frame rates so low that you can`t drive.

Please fix ASAP.

2. FilipV

FilipV Registered

For me it comes to the physics, feel and drive. Not high end graphics. In fact, iracing is a good example, simple but nicely done. Great to see live races because the cars drive so smooth. I'm not an iracing fan! But they are the best in car behaviour and movement on track.

3. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Post your specs and your ATI control panel settings... otherwise no one knows how or what is causing your FPS problem. I have gone from 20 fps to steady 50-60's by doing a few tweaks. So it may be possible for you to.

4. Radar

Radar Registered

Can you list your tweaks Woodee ? ATI also and just curious..

5. Woodee

Woodee Registered

What I did was take all the sliders in the CCC down to performance... my options in RF2 were on medium anyway, then I slowly bumped them up. My next port of call is moving the sliders over to quality one by one to see what I can get away with. It may not make the game look hi-res, but at least it's smoother and raceable sometimes.

6. LeeD

LeeD Registered

yeah im running this in performance mod in control w all set to high in game and its running pretty darn good

7. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Did you skip the DX installation? Are your video card drivers up to date? Have you altered the default settings of your video card? Have you uninstalled required components using the mod manager (by unchecking view mods only and altering what was then visible)?

8. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

My settings are irrelevant. I have described the issue.

If you can produce a smooth result on an ATI card without using Super Sampling, then you should tell us your settings. Otherwise, gratuitous comments about lowering standards and settings don't help or address the comparative issue.

9. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Thanks, my prior post was aimed at the prior respondents, not you. By the way, I had given up trying to fix the problem in rFactor because I have read a hundred posts complaining of the same problem with no fix (over many years). It is especially evident in some user-made tracks.

10. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Was only trying to help... backtracking and finding out the cause of the low FPS.

11. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

The cause of the low FPS is the use of Super-sample AA. This is expected to cause low FPS. The issue is that every other piece of software does not require the use of it to get rid of horrid jaggies. They all have excellent AA even on the "lower" setting of Multi-Sample. So far for me, only rFactor and now rFactor2 require Super-Sampling to look decent.

12. Duvel

Duvel Registered

Will post this again as i really want to get ISI's attention as to exactly what this issue with AA is:

You can see that 8xAA is very similar to 0xAA (because most of the scene isn't getting treated at all. As has already been said, this is identical to what happens in RF1.

With MSAA or adaptive AA, it doesn't do the full scene, only parts. You need to enable super sample AA in the CCC to get rid of the jaggies. I hope that explains it fully.

This needs to be stamped out once and for all in RF2, it's a huge problem and I bet it's why so many are complaining about graphical fidelity right now.

13. pavsko

pavsko Registered

14. pavsko

pavsko Registered

Having the same jagged edges even for 8xAA with nVidia (Ge Force GTX 460) :(
    I am very sad for this "feature" in new rFactor 2. Modern game should not produce this kind of graphic.

Examples (8xAA): 01.jpg 02.jpg

My settings: 03.jpg 04.jpg

15. SimonV6

SimonV6 Registered

what has your reply got to do with helping reduce the ati jaggies then? Thought this was a public beta test and all problems should be noted down?

banging on about whether you feel you need a good picture to race or not is NOT the QUESTION?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2012
  16. HKF0x

HKF0x Registered

Hi, i got jaggies too,
    HD6950 , all maxed out, AA level 3 (level 4 is like no AA) , some parts of the screen receive Anti-Aliasing treatment,
    but others parts seems that not, like barriers, white lines, shadows.
    Tried all settings possible in the driver with no sucess.

Beside the Anti-Aliasing problem, very nice drivin experience, lovin f1 68.

17. Vinceton

Vinceton Registered

Most games don't render large flat planes with very thin, consistent, and high contrast lines. They usually break up the visuals with varying geometry and textures.

Long thin lines isn't exactly a strong point of msaa or adaptive. But it can handle it reasonably well. The problem probably comes from rfactor using an aggressive negative mipmap bias. At least that's what I've discovered in rfactor1. Everything had a bias of -4 or lower when I opened up the maps to have a looksee. Only the strongest of AA could counter that. They really should stick those painted lines on another layer and use 0 bias.
    It could even be ATI's fault for having crappy AA implementation that's only ideal for some situations and not others.

18. FilipV

FilipV Registered

Yea you are correct lol. Stupid of me :)

19. miguelskaff

miguelskaff Registered

I have an HD5750 with 1GB of video memory. Since i installed the game, i have tried different video settings but i have an issue with a lit of green and yellow lines that make it impossible to play. Here's a picture.

pic.twitter.com/1UecNvfT

20. FatnSlo

FatnSlo Registered

I have to agree with the OP. If the only way to get the AA to look as nice as any other game is to use Super Sampling then I have no hope of it ever looking any good as SS is just too big of a FPS hit. I am willing to turn off most eye candy just to get a jagged free picture with good FPS, but with a triple screen setup I don't see that ever happening. Hope I am wrong.