About rFactor 2 Beta cars

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Lo Evenisse, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Lo Evenisse

Lo Evenisse Car Team Staff Member

This is an overview about rF2 Beta cars and an attempt to answer some basic questions car modders would like to ask.

About current Beta Cars. As you may have noticied, rF2 new features come with a performance cost. My main concern was to give maximum room for all the new stuff, and create vehicles that won't penalize the mid-range and lowest-end customer rigs. I still don't have a clear idea about how much car details are harming performances, as a lot of tech is in beta stage and some is still WIP. Various parts of the models have a direct link with physics too, as tire mesh for example. For all these reasons I had to place the crosshair somewhere between performance and good looking. I am a sim racer too (a bad one), and what I want the most is door banging with a 30 cars field in a smooth rendition.
    For the future add ons, the quality and details bar will be significantly raised, but for the starting line up, I wanted to keep things as light as possible. Running 30 + cars field is the target.

If you know how to build a car for rF1, you won't have any problem building one for rF2. The general process is more or less similar. It means that converting cars will be easy with a bit of work, as there is new or updated shaders and materials.
    Now if we have a quick look at car gen file in details, there is familiar things, and there is new things.

- Carbody
    > New carbody material with additional damage paint layer. There is still a cube map for reflections, but environement reflections replace it when set to on in graphic settings.

- Cockpit
    > No more half carbody mesh for this view, highest carbody LOD is automatically shown from cockpit view.
    > Animated wiper and wet fx take place under cockpit instance, currently WIP.

- Tires
    > New tire material to support damages and deformation.
    Damages are a map blend (new to worn), deformation is automatic as long as you're using correct material settings and a TIRE instance.

- Lights
    > head lights and tail lights are real spotlights, you can adjust them to just about any configuration you can think of.

- Heat haze + backfire
    > There is a new shader that can be used for all heat effects.

- Driver
    > Driver can be animated now. Using Max biped is an easy way to build it.

This is a very short introduction, for further details I will provide pdf tutorials, covering rF2 car modding from A to Z. Currently those tutorials are in beta stage too, as soon as I can get some free time I'll finish them. There is also features that are still WIP at the moment and those chapters can't be closed now.
    There will be Max samples available quickly, in order to provide a better understanding of new things.
    PSD templates for rF2 Beta cars are coming soon too.
    Thanks everyone for being here !

You can download PDF tutorials here:
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/1573

2. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Thanks Lo! Looking forward to see the docs (especially about tgm file :) ).

3. shum94

shum94 Registered

Aha i'm glad to read this one.

4. Mickwolfy

Mickwolfy Registered

When I blurt out a tyre after braking, the black mark on the tyre disappears after a few seconds, but I think it's more realistic if the mark disappeared after a few rotations of the tyre...

5. Slothman

Slothman Registered

Just a guess here, but I reckon that has to do with the setting in the tyre for "cooling down". The BETA cars seem to cool off WAY to quick and I reckon the patch is related to heat in a specific area....purely a guess that though :)

6. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Is the driver in the beta work in progress (or do I have my detail turned down too much) their body doesn't move while their arms move (not from the shoulders)

7. CrazIvant

CrazIvant Registered

Is going to be published any other tool for creating *.gmt apart from 3DS such as 3d simed or something new, or it's needed to have 3DS?

8. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

is using 2048 x 2048 skins needed atm... would 1024 be enough and give a smoother ride?

9. Slothman

Slothman Registered

OOhh...good idea, might try that over the coming days. I am one of those guys that doesnt require crystal clear graphics, mainly due to not caring and the eyes blurring it all anyway :)

10. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

My suggestion and personal preference is always to make textures in 2048 size, these are easy then to downscale if required :)

11. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

easy?...have you tried to do that yet and get it back in game lol ?

12. Johannes Rojola

No actually with rF2, honestly, seems like lots of trouble to make small updates... :/

13. Slothman

Slothman Registered

Not yet? Issues Jim?

If there is...but thats half the fun of playing with a new game, and in this game BETA :)

14. jtbo

jtbo Registered

I'm looking a damage, from my understanding driving to wall at 80kph will wreck any car, but with damage slider set 100% that seem not to be the case. Then when I did mod a bit of rtrainer damage I did notice some changes, but body seemed to stay intact even I did set damage to be quite severe, might be that some instance is needed to be added to damage.ini, however damage looks like to be pretty much same now as it was with rF1 + option to use damage texture. I like to make damage to act as it does in real life crash test for example, 50-60kph to wall and car is totalled.

To the main question in my mind:
    Will there be better support for realistic level of damage and is number of detachable parts increased?

15. pablocorsico

pablocorsico Registered

eso mismo

yo soy un fanatico de los test de choque me gusta lo que es real en si
    ejemplos de damage que me gustaron son del tipo( pro race driver) donde las piezas del auto, ejemplo: los paragolpes quedaban colgando, o el auto quedaba en llantas sin el caucho, puertas que se arrunaban y tenian el pivot osea se abrian

esas cosas pueden ser aplicables al rf2?
    como al sr. jtbo me encanta ver los damage realistas

16. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Also Street legal redline racing had quite nice damage. if anyone remembers and likes to know which is quite easily possible to make, bit similar is possible with rF1 and I think that with current state of rF2 but does not quite get to that level, that is why I'm curious if this is area of WIP?
    http://jtbo.pp.fi/images/SLRR/StreetLegal_Redline 2003-12-14 18-40-46-86.jpg

PS. I think you forgot to translate? I did read with google translate, so no problem for me :)

17. Lo Evenisse

First post updated with two pdf files.

18. Johannes Rojola

Even that was old information for me, it seems to be really helpful basic rollout for those just starting to build their own vehicles for the game! I wish such had existed when I tried to learn these things :D

I wonder, will there be later more in-depth detail (for graphics) for different shaders and available instances, maybe with some basic examples like headlights, gauges, transparencies, etc etc...?

19. Lo Evenisse

Yes, there will be a quite long tutorial coming in the next hours, 18 pages about building a rF2 car from A to X (not Z as there is still missing pages for WIP tech :p). I wrote it for people totally new to this, and people already up to speed. It's really a step by step guide, and example files will be provided at the same time.

20. mschreiner

mschreiner Registered

Can you list in one of the pdf's all of the reserved material names that need to be used?
    Example: wccarbody and so forth?