Microsoft sidewinder precision racing wheel

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by xmotoracer, Jan 11, 2012.

1. xmotoracer

xmotoracer Registered

i created a profile for my Microsoft sidewinder precision racing wheel , but i can't seem to get the car to pull away ?
    i select a gear & all i can do is rev the car won't move ? any ideas ?
    cheers.

2. Terence Groening

Terence Groening Registered

If it's in gear and you can rev, maybe it's the clutch?

3. Terence Groening

By the way, please let us know how that wheel works once you get going. We tossed ours a while back so it hasn't been tested with rF2, to the best of my knowledge. I'm concerned simply because it had really CPU-intensive drivers which I assume have never been fixed. If your sim seems to run in 'slow motion', there may be a workaround for you.

4. xmotoracer

xmotoracer Registered

it's strange...i've assigned the keys etc....the last one was for clutch...i usuallu choose auto but in this case it just left me reving as above ..
    anyway...on second attempt the car now drives....but i restarted the race & it went back to first try with just being able to steer & change gear /rev but car won't pull away....
    worrying thing i have now is the gpu temps shot up to 74 degrees after a couple of minutes game play....
    had to exit & cool down with fan on max..

graphics card is a gtx 560 ti

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2012
  5. bigal

bigal Registered

I have the same wheel and haven't noticed any obvious cpu issues or "slow motion" effects.

Edit: I am using the default vista driver not the one from the profiler (I don't think it would even install it was so outdated)

6. xmotoracer

xmotoracer Registered

have you had any sudden tempature rises like mine ? couple of laps up by 20 degrees ?

7. bigal

bigal Registered

I have a nvidia 8800gt and it runs up to 90c all the time no problem.

8. xmotoracer

xmotoracer Registered

ok thanks.....not used to such a sudden rise in temp....i'll keep any eye on it & see how it goes....

as for the cpu usage never had this problem either on games played so far......

9. Terence Groening

I'm a bit confused by what your settings are. You assigned a key to clutch, but do you have auto-clutch on or off? Do you see the clutch working in the CONTROLS part of the UI?

Sorry, I can't help with the GPU temps ...

10. xmotoracer

xmotoracer Registered

what i did first was to assign all the keys ...gears up/down/throttle/brake/steering etc..i didn't choose a button for clutch , i just selected auto clutch...went to practice on track....car sat in pits able to steer & rev/change gears up & down but woudn't move..
    so i went back & mapped buttons again this time adding a button for clutch....went back to track & car now was able to pull out of pits & drive...anyway...i made a mess of the first lap & decided to restart race....i did this & as i posted above the car went back to reving & not pulling away.....so i quit game....went back created a new wheel profile & mapped buttons again & touch wood the cars driving......hope this helps....

11. Gridgirl

Gridgirl Registered

Just tested my old Sidwinder too. Works fine. Only thing, i lose around 20fps with this wheel, compared to my momo.

But i had the same problem yesterday (with the momo). I think my problem was, that i used the AI Driver, just to have a look around.
    Once the AI was Pitting, i changed to self control (I-Bottom), and could only change gears etc., but not drive. After a restart everything was ok.

12. xmotoracer

xmotoracer Registered

maybe it's wheel related then not being able to drive but still able to rev & change gears ?

13. Gridgirl

Gridgirl Registered

Don't think so...
    ... because you have it with the sidewinder, and i had it yesterday with the momo. Thats why i was thinking, it could be a little problem with changing from AI to self control.

I'll try to replicate it later ;)

14. xmotoracer

xmotoracer Registered

ok thanks.....

15. estravagancia

estravagancia Registered

I have Microsoft sidewinder wheel too.
    After some tries with strange FFB feeling; I selected the Ferrari F1 Wheel integral t500 controller and changed the key map... All works fine : )
    Best regards from Spain