If you are experiencing a strong noise/rattle with your controller...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Michael Juliano, Jan 11, 2012.

1. JJStrack

JJStrack Registered

i have to say, i'm sorry. it was just about the setup of the controller ini.
    when i had the default values for Steering effects strength=10000 and the Steering torque per-vehicle mult = 1 the FFB was really poor especially around the center of the steering lock. now i set them to 7000 and 1.5 and everything is fine. was surprised how much of a difference it is.
    So the overall changes i did to the controller ini (starting with the default Driving Force GT ini):
    Steering torque filter=5
    Steering effects strength=7000
    Steering torque per-vehicle mult=1.50000
    Jolt magnitude=1
    Settings on the logitech Profiler:
    Overall strength: 100 %
    Spring: 5 %
    Damping 10 %
    centering spring: 0 %, having the box checked though
    also having the game specific box checked.
    with those settings i really can't complain about the FFB!

2. Terence Groening

Terence Groening Registered

Currently that simple damper is only available in the controller.ini (you have to set a non-zero value for *both* "Steering resistance coefficient" and "Steering resistance saturation"). Just speaking in general terms, many people want various 'hidden' options available in the UI, and we've discussed adding a special page with many, most, or all of these options, because if we included all of them son the appropriate pages I think the UI would get pretty cluttered (just my opinion).

It's possible ... we have something like that but I see it is disabled (even in mod mode) ...

Well it's a weighted average (triangle filter) of the last 12 physics frames ... it's more like 1/3rd of your calculated value (so 10ms).

But don't underestimate the importance of latency. All latencies add together, and any latency at all is worse than real life driving. First off, some hardware drivers are only sampling at 100 or 125Hz which adds up to 10ms latency right off the bat. rF2 takes roughly 1ms to calculate the physics and send a force feedback call (plus any latency from filtering). But then the driver may add another 10ms before processing that FFB call and sending it to the wheel. Finally the hardware controller and physical motor have to respond, which takes even more time. We've seen this whole trip take over 50ms which would probably send a real F1 pilot into the fence. Luckily for the Logitech G25/G27 users who are having the most issues, those drivers are on the fast side so a little filtering doesn't hurt much.

3. McClusky

McClusky Registered

So is the rattling just a noise annoyance issue or could it damage our wheels. I use a G27 btw.

4. E.Neytman

E.Neytman Registered

And what about centering spring? It is like zero..

5. worthy1066

worthy1066 Registered

this a question which a lot of people would like to know . I also use a G27 and like most users , not just with our wheel but a wide range would like this rectified without destroying the feel that the game gives in the FFB . What they have done with this beta regarding feel of the simulator in my opinion is one of the best Ive played and it would be a shame to put a lot of racers off just for a simple internal tweak . keep the good work up guys

6. Cracheur

Cracheur Registered

@ terence regarding adding FFB menus etc...
    to be honest the only major concern with Rfactor 1 was the 10000 possible settings for FFB. (FFB menu + realfeel etc...)
    Many Mod developers were counting on end-users to tweak the settings to fit specific wheels: reading txt file and editing some files here and there and the ingame settings you spent an hour before the car was drivable and this ONLY in a subjective way. So you never knew if the car should feel like this or not. Rfactor being a car simulator should translate how the car feels in reality. This adds btw the way also to the level of fairness during online game. Some people are turning down effects on difficult to handle car (leaving only effects on direct handling > oversteer etc...) and hence have an advantage over people that want to play the "simulated" car.
    Hence I believe, that FFB settings should be mainly handled properly( and without the need of users to change many settings) by the game itself.

Don't get me wrong, more setting possibilities is good but at the end with all the option on FFB in RF1 I never knew how the car should really feel.

As Rfactor is about realism the FFB possibilities should be somehow "fenced" that all players can experience a realistic driving experience.
    So my personal opinion is that the FFB should handled like it is done in iRacing: it just works for everybody and setting up a new car takes 1min. FFB force + or -.

Maybe kind of "FFB base line" should be introduced. > all mod developers stick to a default FFB while making the mod. End-users setup once their wheel only one in RF2 around this FFB baseline. > This means that you "calibrate" your wheel once for FFB and that's it.
    > The settings might still remain available in the ini files however, I don't think ISI should encourage people to play with FFB settings with adding menus. > developers should make sure that FFB is so programmed for all mods that end-users only have to setup their wheel once for Rfactor2 and not for any mod!!!

Again, normally I like being able to change any kind of parameter but let's not forget that constantly playing around with FFB settings was one of the biggest issues for RF1 drivers! Somehow, this must be adressed in a reasonable way and again, sorry to mention the competition again: iRacing handles this really well, so there must be a way.

Thx

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2012
  7. Boyd

Boyd Registered

That makes sense Cracheur. Although I think there are are instances where changes might be required for obscure reasons.

I myself have never really played around much with settings in the ini files, but could someone clarify (or point me to a thread) the role of the 2 ini files, namely UserData\Player\controller.ini and UserData\Controller\controller-name.ini ?
    And how they interact with each other.
    Thanks, and apologies if it's already been covered. I've been using rFactor for 5 years and I never got to ask or find out how this works ...

8. DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver Registered

9. adamkolesar

adamkolesar Registered

It really feels like the force that is being simulated is coming from the wheels vertical movement and load rather than just or mostly its horizontally load.

How are the forces calculated through the steering rack? Is the number based purely on a load on the steering links/steering rack/column or is it done some other way?

10. Michael Juliano

Michael Juliano Track Team

No, not an option because the off road values are "realistic" and feel very good. The issue is (and let me see if I can sum up what T had said previously) that we don't CURRENTLY transition smoothly from one TDF "bump" to the next, so the reaction is very sharp. Once we soften up these transitions it should help quite a bit I'd think...

11. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

Good news Scott. I hope that makes into the next beta build. The rattles are really scaring me that my wheel will break, but I still can't stop racing lol ;)

12. Michael Juliano

Well, not sure about the NEXT build, but it's on the list for sure... I've been testing rF2 for a good while now with a REALLY old G25 and there's been no damage to my wheel, so I think you'll be ok... :)

13. Lantern Rouge

Lantern Rouge Registered

It sounded so harsh my initial concern was that it could possibly damage my wheel. But if you are saying there is no chance of that, I would rather have unfiltered feedback. I can barely hear the chatter through my headsets and so far my wife hasn't complained ;)

I would like to see it back to where you can adjust the percentage of feedback coming from front/rear tires. Also, it would be nice to be able to adjust all of these parameters within the game. The is an addon to GTR2 that allowed all of the ffb changes you could make in the .plr file within the garage.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2012
  14. Michael Juliano

I didn't say there was "no chance", just to be clear, I said *I* haven't experienced any problems after several months of testing on an old wheel. :) You need to decide for yourself if you want leave it unfiltered or not...

15. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

did the ISI lawyers just give you a call Scott? lol ;)

16. Michael Juliano

No, but after 42 years I just know that you don't let yourself go misquoted ;)

17. See Flat

See Flat Registered

Momo, love the FFB in rF2. On track feel has never been this good. This being said, I also think the offtrack effect in the grass is just scary. Feels like cobble stone more than mushy grass.

I will try the .ini tweak when I get home tonight

thanks for addressing the concerns

18. Jean-Simon Binette

Jean-Simon Binette Registered

I would like to reduce offroad FFB effect.
    my saitek r660 gt will get loose bolts... again

19. marcobost

marcobost Registered

I see there is a "missed" line into the config between rF(1) and rF2 (I know the differences are much more than this one, obviously):
    FFB Effects Level="2" // Number of FFB effects to use: 0=No Effects, 1=Low, 2=Medium, 3=High, 4=Full, 5=Custom.
    This was the second "main" command for the FFB into rF1.
    I understand that the feeling of the FFB is totally a personal experience, so everybody is right!
    Just because of any person likes a personal setting, I run rF(1) trying to filter what I PERSONALLY think to be useless effects, effects that make dirt the feeling with the road. I repeat: this is my personal idea and I respect any other opinion about the FFB strenght, effect, etc...
    What I ask to the programmer for solving the problem (if technically this development can be applied) is to reinsert this main command into the controller.ini (and into the UI).
    I think to add this kind of "filter" can solve the problem at least at those people that like a "soft" impact to the FFB, without damage for people that like the "true and strong" one.
    I hope to be intelligible to the ISI programmers... as you can read my mother language isn't English. Thank you

20. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Is the ForceFeedback() function in the plugin interface actually called? I can't seem to get it doing anything.