Forced to use real names on servers?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by argl, Jan 11, 2012.

1. pace_car

pace_car Registered

i would like it to be possible , to change your displayed name to whatever the user wants
    (like rfactor1)

i am driving for various leagues,
    certain leagues use real names,
    while others use a only nickname,
    and some even using a mandatory pre-fix to identify the league

so in rfactor1 i have always used , separate installs of rfactor (in different folders)

i hope this somehow remains possible in rF2

regards

Joris aka pace_car

2. shyha

shyha Registered

Simple - unique user id.

3. Ian-C

Ian-C Registered

I always force real names on a server because all the nonstandard characters people use in nick names break the scripts i use to process the log files. If i am running an event server and someone enters with a changed real name they will be asked to come back with their real name or be kicked from the server. I wish ISI would make it so if people change their real name in the plr file that it won't let them login and join on-line races, and maybe an option on the server selection screen showing weather real name is mandatory on server and a filter to hide all servers requiring real names.

4. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

yep.. but this is not issue related to driver name features. It is another flaw left by ISI dor years. Looks like some developers*) don't even know about existing of various character sets. Who cares about diacritics since none are used in English?
    In better case, they will be German or French users who are using cp1252 charset. But what about Polish, Czech? What about other languages like Greek?
    BTW: as far as I remember even diacritics in full name has been broken while registering for rF2. With nicknames stored in PLR files it may be even harder, because those file edited in notepad, usually are saved in system current character set. it is obvious it will cause problems. One way is to save those files as utf8 - but it must be supported by rF2. Additionally, to force editors to use utf8 encoding, rf2 should add BOM header to those files. But it not prevent problems in 100% cases. So, another way is to store nicknames in ISIs system (like Full Names).

One other way is to locally work with system current charset but convert strings internally to utf8 and make dedicated server works only with utf8.

But there is one issue left: in-game chat: It must be converted to utf8. Currently even local result XML files, even if declared as utf8 (look at XML header) contain characters entered to chat without proper conversion! And it is issue existing from rF1 - now say that ISI is best company supporting their products ;)

*) It is not only a case of ISI. For example vBulletin (forum engine on which ISIforums runs) is not able to work with utf8 correctly. Internally it works with latin1 converting unknown characters into numeric entities and stores it into DB using that form. What a shame since it might be saved into db just using utf8. My SLS works with UTF8 for 10 years without any problems, supports all languages including Japanese. Really have no idea why it is such hard for some devs.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2012