Forced to use real names on servers?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by argl, Jan 11, 2012.

1. MS7XWDC

MS7XWDC Registered

i don't 'think', i 'know' he's insulting anyone in the community that races with a nickname by implying that they cannot be 'serious Sim Racers'

2. Dave Millard

Dave Millard Registered

iRacing... what ever name is on the credit card that you register with.
    Yup ... plenty of idiot drivers on iRacing too.

3. kleanphil

kleanphil Registered

I know people personaly, who have been confronted on there doorstep by a disscruntled gamer,using profile and other sources to locate them .Although rare any personal information given on the net should be carefully considered.
    I'm sure in the final release there will be the option to use what ever name you like

4. Reflex

Reflex Registered

Just because iracing does it dosn't make it right, many of us are known by our nicknames in other sims, its your reputation good or bad, for example im know as Relex1 on LFS & would like to think people that know me to recognise me online & that im an ok driver, & if im slow in rf2 im probably learning the track or making a setup.
    Feel a bit cheated, why ask for a nickname when purchasing rf2 when its never used?
    Also if we race in leagues in rf2 with driver changes, team tags are important.
    overall im happy with this beta, but would like the our online stats to be recored somewhere.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2012
  5. kleanphil

kleanphil Registered

6. shyha

shyha Registered

Exactly.

And MaXyM,
    this:
    puts an equal sign between 'vandals in masks' and players using nicks. And it's nothing I have put into your mouth. It's what you, alone, said.

7. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

No. It is no equal sign. You want to believe it would.

I ment that acting under annonymous curtain makes people believe in lack of consequences for their exploits. It is not my thesis. So dont argue with me about it.

It is the reason why internet forums are full of people which behave in extremaly another way then IRL.

8. shyha

shyha Registered

Again. False and discriminatory generalisation.
    It's not important whose this thesis is as long as you're backing it up.
    I'll stop arguing once you will stop insulting me.

And it IS an equal sign. You said that we're afraid of sth like 'vandals in mask'. It's black on white. Take responsibility for your own words.

9. theother5

theother5 Registered

I did a 20min race at Spa yesterday. I'm a middle of the pack driver at best. So I'm far from perfect :p

The start was chaos. I lined up in 6th and was immediately taken out from behind. No surprises. Up ahead was a disaster I never managed to reach. Cars and hay bales exploited some interesting behavior too bouncing and flying. Hmmm!

A Restart was triggered by the server admin. Thank you S.A.

Start number 2 was better for me and most. I moved off the line and kept to the side allowing those behind me to pass. Chaos ensued again with hay bales and car all over the place. I threaded by way through in last place and made my way down the track. The field was cut by a third already.

The DNF/Accident/Suspension list just grew and being honest, I narrowly avoided adding my name to the list. I had a few mishaps myself but I managed to keep the car on track. My aim was to finish. I did. 80% of field DNF'd !!!! LOL.

Starts on public servers are always a mess unfortunately. What got me rolling my eyes was the fact that there was cars all over the place for the first KM or so even on the straights!!! ..... I could see name tags poking out if trees, ditches and even far off fields. One was in the middle of the cows on the right LOL. Some were in placed that had me thinking, how the hell did you get there? It was funny for a while.

Why enter a race and risk it all on the first corner or lap. Is 20 min really too long a race! Pub servers or not ??????

It is interesting that apparent real names do not see to have any effect .... yet.

The eagle eye'd server admins will no doubt be able to recognize some names in the future!!! Kind of a delayed effect I'm thinking.

Finishing a race should be the first attainable merit Without it, podiums and better and unlikely. But some care and others will not so whatever.

Record stats all you want ... people will only act how the feel and where there are no consequences, the will act how they feel with arrogance and carelessness. It's a human thing ...... not the best side. Others will band together in a effort to avoid the chaos on a private server. Another human reaction.

It is the way it is!

10. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Yeah.. poor, insulted Pole ;) You are overreacting and taking things personaly while we are talking about theses and people behaviour in overall.
    Or maybe have problem with understand English. Do you want to switch into Polish?

Never said that. I've said that vandals wear masks because they want to stay annonymous. Prohibition of using masks doesn't mean that all people are vandals. But it may stop vandals from doing things. Try to find analogy.

11. shyha

shyha Registered

I did but seems like you need to learn English a bit more. Start with few 'bears' maybe.

I am paranoid? You're stating that people should use real names because otherwise they 'hide behind masks' as they're 'afraid of something' and need to 'stay anonymous'. Read your posts once more. If you could understand your own words.

Grow up. It's a game.

12. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Yes, but it fit only people who have something to hide. I don't have one, so I'm not afraid of anything, I don't want to hide behind mask and must not to stay anonymous. If you have to, means you have some serious reasons.

Looks like your arguments are over.

13. shyha

shyha Registered

False assumption again. I don't need to. I want to.

Sorry you didn't put any...

14. theother5

theother5 Registered

Take it to the PM guys ..... It's no longer interesting reading on a pub forum.

15. Jaageri

Jaageri Registered

Agree with Johnny Bravo there.

Both of you should cool it down, i think ISI knows enough for the future.
    Some like it (under 50%) and some don't (over 50%), that's it, remember it's still beta so things change.

ISI knows that people want options, options and even more options for Host.

16. shyha

shyha Registered

I don't know why this topic needed EIGHT pages to finish with this conclusion?

EOT for me.

17. Eaglerapids

Eaglerapids Registered

I just want to say that I don't like the real name either. I've been racing over 10 years and nobody knows me by my real name. I've always been Eaglerapids and that's the way I want it to stay. I do think it was misleading the way we were tricked into using our real names, I feel that was a bit underhanded.

18. Alhazred

Alhazred Registered

I am 100% uncomfortable with using my real name in rFactor 2.

I hope isi will let us know soon what they are going to do about the name issue,I don't want to waste my time on this game and find out months later that we're going be forced to use our real names.

Edit:re-worded last sentence.

19. brabham67

brabham67 Registered

I don't believe that we were tricked into anything. I think it was more likely an oversight on the part of ISI.

20. kkacper

kkacper Registered

Well I get all the annoyement with using real names, I personally like the idea to some extent and I never really minded sharing my real name, as this is me, I am myself and am not scared of people knowing who I am. Funny that, most names when you put your full name don't show anything in google and you should be fairly safe, my name is fairly unique (only few people have the combination) and when I google it I find my own picture on the first page. I understand privacy and I do hate when it get's broken but you should not be scared of using your name. I usually race under nicks that show my first name anyway or people know it anyway (well here even I've the real name in my nick). But really when I come on the server and I see guys like eg. "John Doe" "Henry Wilson" (random names) etc. racing on a server it adds a bit to the reality factor but that's just my opinion. But then again there is many people that get offended and well if you take it as offence I think ISI should have an ingame option of picking "race under: " and options of "Real name" or "Nickname". Another possibility is just get over it and just not be scared of using name you are going to live with for the rest of the life anyway.
    Just to be perfectly clear it's only my standings of this case and I understand if someone doesn't agree with me as that's what forums are for, expressing your opinion :) .