Forced to use real names on servers?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by argl, Jan 11, 2012.

1. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

It is not intended to makes things easy. It is to make anyone thinking about his responsibilities when acting on internet.
    I know that there are cons of this. But nowadays internet is full of people who think that they can do everything just because of anonymity. I would like to stop them at least acting bad on servers I (or my friends) may join some day.

Personally I have no problem to expose my real name for community. You can find that in software I made, in result files my software generating etc. I'm not feel threatened in any way due to this.

2. shyha

shyha Registered

I do that by personally meeting my opponents on the live meets. I still don't need to reveal my real name on-line. I stand up for myself as a real person. That's how my parents brought me. You may not know but term 'exhibitionism' does not refer only to sexual behaviour. As you may find by http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/exhibitionism: "The practice or character trait of deliberately drawing attention to oneself."

Seems like you value showing off your name more than fair play in race. Kudos.

3. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

No but as portal admin I have more guarantee that I will have no to face some childish racers which are hiding behind some nick name.

If you want to play words, I could say "I'm not ashamed of my name, I'm proud of it". ;)

It is realy nothing to do with exhibitionism. signing into community should be lead by responsibility. Why not sign with your real name, your ID or so. You d it daily IRL, doesn't you?

4. shyha

shyha Registered

MaXyM, the discussion is really not about why some people want or don't want to use real names only 1) why is it (at least in current beta) obligatory and 2) why it wasn't stated in the registration process. That's the issue. It's just some people misunderstood the whole point and want to prove people who don't want to use real names are idiots, cheaters, crooks, etc etc etc. Since I don't want to use real name I feel offended and that's it. I wouldn't (and don't) have any problems using my name in situations you brought. Probably you'll find my real name in similar places.

5. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Because it would be hard to manage it after moving into final version. Or at least it would cost additional resources.

Yes, you are right. If it is missing in some EULAs, registration conditions, etc, it may be the issue. Then I understand your point. It should be stated clearly.

6. Blaktop

Blaktop Registered

I agree Shyla....the discussion is getting way off track. The issue has nothing to do with the reasons people want to be able to use nicks.....because there hundreds.....some valid and some not. This is about letting ISI know how we feel and what we want to see in final release. If you don't care about being forced to use real names or don't have a problem using them, then go find a thread where you can give relevant and useful feedback about something you do care about.

Personally I feel quite insulted by some of the moronic jibes by some of the supporters of real names (not all by any means, some of you have stated your case well and left it at that).....many of whom are using nicks here. I have no ulterior motive, I am not a wrecker (as those who have raced with me for up to 12 years will attest to), I have nothing to hide.....I am just trying to make the point to ISI (not to you guys in here who seem intent on derailing the thread) that I would like to see nicknames able to be used and able to be edited. I have stated my reasons in previous posts. The thread is now up to 123 posts well over half of them are all about trying to convince people who support the OT that they're a/wrong, b/stupid, c/a latent pedo.

I actually feel strongly enough about not wanting to be forced to use my real name to ask for a refund if it's not implemented by release time. However, since I have worked out how to run a nickname in game, provided it's not disabled before release I won't.

7. Gridgirl

Gridgirl Registered

1)
    Why should a player with realname pay greater attention about his responsibilities???
    As long as the person is no one you know in real life, this person is equally anonymous for you, as if he/she is using a nickname.

2)
    Who said every player gives truly his real name in games etc.???
    As long as the person is no one you know in real life, you can't be sure of the real name. And so there exists no really difference for you.

8. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Because they are scared when must providing such information?
    Let answer another question: why vandals often acts in masks? I'm sure it's not because of cold.

Psychologically anyone is more or less connected with own name. In case of young people, they additionally afraid of responsibility when name of their parents is exposed.

You cannot be sure. But usually drivers/players wants to be recognized over the network for some reason. In doesn't matter in systems which allows to create multiple accounts etc. But in rF2 - you have to pay any time you register new credentials. So, both those things should guarantee a success of this solution.

shyha said this is out of topic. So I answer you because you are looking very sexy ;)

with regards

9. shyha

shyha Registered

MaXyM, your answer and insinuations are very offensive against me. You just called me a criminal just because I don't want to reveal my real name in a GAME.

And you're mistaken again. Why would you need to pay another one time? Registration process is one thing and what is visible in game is another thing. As a programmer you should be aware of the fact that only thing needed, and only really reliable to recognize user/player is a kind of unique id of such person and this should've been and IS created during account creation. Look for rfactor.okay and rfactor.credentials files. Why CHANGING NAME would or should lead to the need of buying another copy of the game? As a sys op, site, probably a forum admin you require forum users to CREATE new accounts every time they want to change nick? The stupid argument of 'how would we ban/recognise this person if he/she changed nick' is absolute nonsense as checking his UUID would do the thing absolutely regardless of credentials he is using....

And one more thing, in regards to my questioning of 'obligatory real name' you said 'Because it would be hard to manage it after moving into final version. Or at least it would cost additional resources.' but as a programmer you should have known that it's probably just one commented line (the one that calls a procedure that overwrites this data in plr file). Obviously I don't have any insight into the ISI code but every beginning programmer would have done it this way and if he didn't he would be a wannabe-programmer at the most.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2012
  10. Morgisto

Morgisto Registered

I dunno if i missed something but my name comes up as "UNKNOWN" Can i changed both my names somewhere to my real name as well as my nick ?

11. Donnie Witt

Donnie Witt Registered

A question for the RF2 crew only . I want to change my full name from Donald Witt to Donnie Witt & leave my nick name as Donnie & change from 1 yr sub to life time .

So without having problems in the future could i just get refund , wait till that is done & then resub as Donnie Witt nickname Donnie with life time sub . Would i be able to do that & without any present or future problems ? Please Tim or staff member answer only .

I am enjoying the game but & realize it's a beta but have to resolve this some how . Thank you .

12. Jack B

Jack B Registered

I can understand using a nickname on a public forum. iRacing uses real names, but it's a closed system. Google searches don't extend to iRacing and the iRacing forums. Anonymity on forums and races does let people feel a little less responsible for what they say and do though, so I see both sides of the issue.

I think it should be up to each league to decide. It does sound like you're playing with kids when you see some of the nicknames though. Real names does make it seem more adult and respectable.

I'm on iRacing and it would be a bummer to allow nicknames there, but again it's a closed private system.

13. Charlie Buscher

Charlie Buscher Registered

While I don't really care either way someone racing with their real name will be more respectful of others.
    Would megadeath666 swear in every sentence he typed if he used his real name? I doubt it.

JMO.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2012
  14. Derek Speare

Derek Speare Registered

Here's my take on it:

When you register the license for the game, it will collect your user name, "Racing handle/nickname" and then will create a unique customer id number/hash keyed to your license code. If the customer wants to use his name and "racing handle", great, if not, he can use a nickname and have an option to leave his user name value blank. The customer ID is there in case a league or server admin wishes to ban the player for abusive conduct. I think this is a solution good for all occasions.

d

15. Donnie Witt

Donnie Witt Registered

As you can see i use my full name on this forum as on iracing , I just want to change my first name from Donald to Donnie , That's a very big thing to me . I do feel people should have to use real names like iracing & have option to have nick name below or whatever . Respectfully

16. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

I didn't said that. But if you want to think that way, I cannot stop you.

I think you missed my point. Using real names plays psychologic part.
    I don't gonna repeat what I already wrote.

At the end, I can see you are from Poland. I'm Pole too even if live in Prague/CR. Next week we (SimRacingPL) are organizing a meeting near Warsaw. You are welcome. We may continue arguing with support of bear (or so ;) )

17. MS7XWDC

MS7XWDC Registered

exactly. the OPTION. without judgement.

18. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

And that's it right there. I don't know of any other online game that forces the use of a real name. If someone is serious about Sim Racing then they will join a league that will force the use of a name. Anyone who hops on a pubby knows what to expect and forcing the use of real names won't change pubbies.

I've done a few pubby races in the past few days and you know what? I saw lots of real names and I saw the same old crap on EVERY OTHER PUBBY. It made no difference at all.

19. MS7XWDC

MS7XWDC Registered

ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, WRONG.

ran a VERY serious F1 League for years. nicknames worked 100% perfectly. stop insulting the community

20. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

We turned into full names a few years ago on our portal. No one has problems with that
    Why do you think he insulting anybody?