Forced to use real names on servers?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by argl, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Dave Millard

Dave Millard Registered

Perpetual practice eh? Last night I tried the multy for the first time in rF2, I thinks maybe there should have been a tad more practice....as I was the only one to finish, out of 10 or 12 drivers.... and the race was only 20 min at spa. (5-6 laps)

2. Blaktop

Blaktop Registered

And that's why you're using your real name in here then is it.....not.

Look guys, for some of you it may not be an issue, for some it is. Can't you just accept what suits you doesn't suit everyone and if they'd like it different there is not necessarily a sinister reason behind it.

For the record, I got my nick to show in game by deleting my real name from the rfactor.name file, saving and changing it to read only. My real name shows up to me when I log in but when I go into a server my nick shows. If down the line that changes it'll take me 15 secs to edit it again.

3. Andrew McP

Andrew McP Registered

There may actually be a good side to anonymous screen names (apart from just to stop rare female members of this hobby getting stalked). You can often tell something about a driver's personality from their choice of name. On the track being able to predict idiots before you meet them in a corner can be very useful. :)

4. El Cattivo

El Cattivo Registered

Please keep in mind, that there are legues and communities, where you may always want to appear with the same name. Be it nickname or realname. I dont want anybody to be forced to tell 3 different leagues/communities witch name belongs to him now, since rFactor2 only supports the other one.
    Every league has its own rules, some say you have to use your real name. For good reason. Others do not have such rules and nicknames are allowed. For good reason. But why to hell should rFactor2 decide what to choose? Because of the public servers?
    I understand if someone doesn't want to tell his real name on the internet, there are many reasons for it.

what i think is important, is that someone will not always change his name. Let one change his name once a year or something...

5. Pandamasque

Pandamasque Registered

Using proper names should be encouraged (even if not real).
    This is simracing, not some kind of xxx!!!fl@m3-y0uR-m8s-FPS-LOL!!xx thing.

6. Pumbaa666

Pumbaa666 Registered

That's a really good point.... It should be a option on the server end to block IP addresses of wreckers and to tell people what name they should use...

Being stuck with only one profile also stops people from getting a interest in the game by being allowed to set it up for themselves on someone else's PC using a new profile so as not to screw up the buyers settings... This coupled with the lack of a demo mode (which I'm guessing is just for the BETA) will make it harder to get new players of this game to invest once they go home and back to their PC...

7. El Cattivo

El Cattivo Registered

Another thing:
    There are Drivers (an active Formula1 Driver for example), which are using a pseudonym so they can drive online simracing.
    One using a pseudonym is now asked by rFactor2 for real name and nickname. At the moment he doesn't know if he should give his real name, hoping it will never appear online, and pseudonym as nickname, or rather give his pseudonym as realname.

There could be servers which ask for the real name and suddenly the secret name is shown.

How about this: rFactor asks for...
    - the real name, which will never appear online
    - the nickname which appears on servers allowing it
    - the pseudonym, appearing on servers that do not allow nicknames. Drivers who don't care about a pseudo, give their realname aswell.

8. Gimpymoo

Gimpymoo Registered

So is this going to be a server option?

Personally, I prefer to see real names.

Why not make it an option to allow both...

"James Carter (Gimpymoo) joined server"

9. MagnusD

MagnusD Registered

How do you know this? It couldnt be so bad that he lost his F1 seat if he where to reveal himself? Surely? And its not like he is Batman?

10. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

People not understanding there can be multiple and valid reasons to alter a name on the internet :p

For me, my real name is too long, i didn't realise it when i registered but now i see my name in rf2 isnt shortened as in rf1 (john Doe was J. Doe in rf1 and now its the full name) and thus my name isn't displayed proporly. i would want to simply cut my two middle names short and use the same name (still my real name) i used in rf1.

That would look the same in our ongoing results as well but thats not a big issue for me but i could understand that displaying a real name on a website, public results, etc. could be a potential issue for people.
    Some of us are criminals (statisticly speaking lol), others might be in a legal battle, or want to hide from their boss when they race in his time. there's probably as many reasons as there are people and simply stating its only the wreckers and faul-mouths wanting to use a nick is pretty shortsighted.

Also! and MUCH more important: My league has an annual event where everybody is suposed to show up as a celebrity and during the course of the practice week and event we have allot of fun guessing whom is who. i would like us to continue that silly tradition :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2012
  11. Pugamall

Pugamall Registered

HTML:

personally its not a matter of anything to hide, its a preference, and only coz I use the same Gamer Tag/Nickname accross everything, forums, PSN,XBOX, Steam,Windows Live, infact if you Google "Pugamall" it shows it is indivdual to me, if You google Chris, Binfield, or Chris binfield it relates to loads of stuff nothing to do with me

12. Tiger

Tiger Registered

Slimjim, you must have missed one point, because in our league, everyone has it working alright ;)

13. MS7XWDC

MS7XWDC Registered

this is why they put out a beta, to get opinions. and a fair amount of customers want this OPTION. this is not to debate the concept. this is make it clear that rf2 SHOULD allow the option of a nickname.

14. shyha

shyha Registered

MS7XWDC Exactly! That's the main point!

I hope ISI see it that way ;) as I reckon Tim has become a little frustrated in another topic on similar matter ;]

15. Pugamall

Pugamall Registered

Well, we will just have to wait and see, mind you for example, I used to be a member of a car club many years ago, used to spend my life on the forum for the site, but as I got older and moved into different areas, I stopped using it and dropped my membership, some sort of 5 to 10 years later I was playing a GT5 race on line and noticed a nickname I recognised from the forum so many years ago, thought nahh must be someone with the same name, then after the race I got a message through on my playstation asking if I was the same Pugamall from SSC forum, of all the places and the amount of people on line and two people with individal nicknames were able to pick eachother out on a compleatly seperate era and context, we now race regularly, thats the sort of reason I prefer to keep the same details, if I had just been Chris B I dont think it would have been quite the same as real names usually are duplicated many times

16. Hutch-SCO

Hutch-SCO Registered

Do you think you are the only person in the world with your 'real name' do you feel self importance by trying to hide it ?

17. shyha

shyha Registered

Hutch, well... Maybe if you're John Smith then maybe. Like 2-3 years ago google had just one link mentioning my name (it was actually me) now I have found just two people with the same as mine. If you add whois info to this I would be easily identified. Not that I have anything to hide but we all have our own reasons. There are other things as well. Some countries have policies on personal information, collecting such information etc. Poland is one of such countries (there's Act covering this topic) and imo it's a good policy (don't know if that would be a legal issue if the game would be sold boxed in here). You're forgetting the fact that countries vary and we all have different backgrounds and you can accuse everyone of being not fair since they 'want to hide behind the nickname' but it's you who is wrong simply because it's not your business.

//edit:
    btw. could we stop this pointless discussion, why we want nicknames and why you need everyone to use real names?
    Some people (me included) are asking for (requesting) option on that matter and that's it.

18. MS7XWDC

MS7XWDC Registered

exactly. thats why they released the beta. this is not about the concept / merits of forcing real names. it's about having the option come release of rf2

19. ArsenicJello

ArsenicJello Registered

If you think that giving out your real name is a problem, don't even connect to the Internet. Everytime you post here or join a racing server, the Administrators can view your IP Address, which can be traced to your geographical location. Some are inaccurate, but most are rather accurate. The only way to get around that is to use a proxy.

Also, http://iRacing.com
    The name that is on your card/paypal when you sign up is what is given when you race. No nicknames, none of that ****. I have found some of the cleanest and most enjoyable racing there.

I would like to see rFactor 2 gather everyone's real names based on payment information, store that with their account (that is not changeable by the player) and then implement a server-side option for admins to force real names or not. You don't like your real name shown? Don't race there.

20. Slimjim

Slimjim Registered

Tiger i'm not talking about leagues, as they can do whatever they like..just open servers
    and i thought of a way this could be fixed.? tell me what you think..

in the driver list you can use whatever you like real or nickname..
    on the car tabs above the cars would have the drivers real name incase a problem with that driver.
    but as for now i found a way to change mine in the driver list.. so it's no big deal for me..
    if i need to restore the original for a league or for whatever reason, i have a back up.