Forced to use real names on servers?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by argl, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Pumbaa666

Pumbaa666 Registered

Well until this is resolved I won't be racing online with rFactor 2 period.... Which is a shame, because I do a lot of online racing with a great group of guys over at SimHQ with the original, which I'll continue to do...

I can't find the rfactor folder in GrimDad's suggestion, and the other one just plain doesn't work as it's always reset no matter what I change in the .PLR

2. Superbee

Superbee Registered

Let the open servers with real names... And give the kids the right to flame all they want behind their beloved nicknames in hosted ... Problem solved... No reason to hide, so man up ! :)

3. Slimjim

Slimjim Registered

so i'm guessing your name is Superbee.? this is classic when people on here using fake/nicknames names can call out others.

4. markcooka

markcooka Registered

+1

5. rudebwoy

rudebwoy Registered

Seems like you got some basic concepts of privacy. Now tell me the difference between facebook and some random game. Now tell me why I should be happy about my real name in logfiles that will get analysed by some script and put online for some reason. There's just no difference: no (unwanted) data for facebook - no (unwanted) data for google or anybody else. simple.

Oh, and I didn't see the hint "Note: this name will be used ingame, visible for everybody"

6. Pumbaa666

Pumbaa666 Registered

THANKYOU JOHN!!!!!

And thank you Grim Dad for sharing....

Here's a suggestion to the devs... How about a 24 hour reset for names... That'll stop the flow of people changing names and hopping into servers after causing havoc as 1 of their alias'.... I don't mind having to change my name after every update, but it will get annoying after some time...

And to all those who aren't that fussed with internet security and think it's only a game... All you need is a name and a IP address.... Firewalls can be hacked, antiviruses tricked, and the rest of your personal info obtained very easily... So drive carefully :p

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2012
  7. shyha

shyha Registered

I don't know about THEM but I'm not the one.

//edit:
    rudeboy is 100% right

8. Superbee

Superbee Registered

It's a Forum here, not a race server... And I don't remember anyone at iRacing being high-jacked because of their "Real Name" in the 2+ years I've been there... And BTW, I didn't call out anyone, just stated my preferences... And my preferences go with calling someone David instead of "You'vebeenowned666" ... Might be different for someone part of a modding team due to legal issues though... ;)

Call me Pierre...

9. Andrew McP

Andrew McP Registered

I agree. I've only ever gone online -- in forums or sims -- as "Andrew McP" or Andrew MacPherson. While I'm not a huge fan of iRacing's overall system, I do think being made to use your real name forces a degree of community accountability which is important.

However I can see why it wouldn't go down well with a community like rF's, which has always had something of the Wild West about it. Not as wild west as that beard, obviously... is there no escape from it??? ;-)

10. Francesco H.

Francesco H. Registered

Cooler Thread, im lovin it :D

11. shum94

shum94 Registered

Sorry i supposed a simple change in the plr like rFactor would do it.

12. jorge salgueiro

jorge salgueiro Registered

Maybe he is Hamilton :D

13. rudebwoy

rudebwoy Registered

I don't care if "1337kid" wrecks me or "John Doe" nor do I think that it reduces wreckers. And I don't think that this "integrity debate" makes sense at all. It makes me sick how blind most people are when it comes to privacy (and secrurity).

Some (maybe most) people just prefer to NOT have their real names exposed in relation to some game. If this won't change I'll hit the refund button rather sooner than later.

14. Andrew McP

Andrew McP Registered

A healthy degree of paranoia is probably justified. But as in real physical life as well as virtual life, if you're targetted, you're stuffed; it doesn't matter whether you use a real name or a false one. A false name is not protection, it's just an illusion of protection.

IMO obviously :)

15. moo

moo Registered

Agreed I don't want my name all over the internet

Can we possibly get our nicknames in a new update? Because there's nothing worser then a bad people..

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2012
  16. Gridgirl

Gridgirl Registered

sign

17. rudebwoy

rudebwoy Registered

You are absolutely right. But using some/many pseudonyms makes data collection and aggregation harder. It's a good way to raise the bar for the interested. Using google is just to easy.

18. Woodee

Woodee Registered

I don't think I am at risk from pedos at 32 years of age :)

Again... this name thing should be an OPTION not a restriction. Client forced or server enforced.

19. Slimjim

Slimjim Registered

I think it doesn't matter.. we should have an option, this would please everybody.
    weather your EATMYDUST, Mike Hunt or Phil McCrackin, it's just a way you want people to know who you are.

20. furiousgibbon

furiousgibbon Registered

a lot of technophobes in this thread.

I agree, in game name should be personal preference, but you all need to relax, noone can steal your identity because your real first and surname are visible in a racing simulator.

I quite like seeing real names, it makes me feel more like I'm racing real people. I wouldn't mind if they changed to nicknames. Although getting to an actual race is another matter, the voting system needs an overhaul, it's been perpetual practice all night.

Now I have a good framerate I can't stop racing, time for some more!

1 person likes this.