ATI graphics optimization

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by NightnDay, Jan 11, 2012.

1. TonyRickard

TonyRickard Registered

Who is "we"?

A request for a suggested response from staff in a thread earlier today:

"we are addressing many issues including the terrible SLI and frame rates and here is an expected new build date"

Some people want dates, some are content with knowing that the "graphics aren't finished" means ISI are working on it, some want a detailed project plan, some want to know what Tim had for breakfast. The only thing that is common is there is no collective "we".

2. Nuno Lourenço

Nuno Lourenço Registered

"We" means probably more than half users that reported problems with performance, if you're not one of these users I congratulate you for this... Looks like a miracle.

By the way m8 all this posts spamming forum with the same things was unnecessary if ISI since the begging had send some feedback to all and that not happen at all. Now that we have hundreds of posts they "respond" in one of them and wait that users came here and see ALL posts... That's not the right way man...

I'm admin from a portuguese comunity and everytime we want that someone see and know whats going on we do a specific post in anouncement zone. This way all people see because is in first page of portal and forum... That's the way it sould work.

And tell you more, i´m not here just to say bullsh**, I buy years ago rfactor 1... I have the original DVD, that must of users probably don't have just because was "free" to play online. I bought one rfactor 2 for me and another to my brother in secound day out just because was impossible to login in first hours, just to say that i like it and i'm waiting to push it to the limits, so i'm not the one that came here just to say that ISI isn't doing a great job... They are doing it but feedback is very poor...

that's my opinion...

3. samuelkorthof

samuelkorthof Registered

I agree with Nuno. "We" all know that this is a beta and it isn't a finished game but I also think ISI should think about giving us more feedback. Not just a post here and there but a official statement or document in wich they explain what they are working on. Especcially when you ask people too pay a BETA and bring a tribute too the development of this sim. With BF3 for example the developer kept everybody up to date by frequently posting on what they where working on. And that was a BETA we didn't have to pay.

4. Sega Mega Dave

Sega Mega Dave Registered

End of the day we are paying for ISI to have masses of invaluable information for free(BETA) yes we chose to pay for this service and we have the option to walk away. Thats not the issue though for me.

The issue is we are paying game testers, we should be receiving a very professional response from the developers and not being left in the cold with regards to issues.

We are all fully aware of what a BETA is and what is to be expected (although some things shouldn't exist at this stage) it would just be nice, professional and comforting to be told in a well laid out format that they are aware of the issue and what they are doing to fix it not a sneaky post every now and again that 90% wont see.

Seriously it wouldn't take 30 mins to write up a quick sticky with a list of current issues and what the team are working on and in which order. That way we can all relax, not fill up the forums with repetitative stuff and enjoy what we have.

I know pCARS is a community game so their feedback needs to be shown in the community but the info you get from them is very impressive, you feel they are listening and you feel things are getting done. Same with BF3 you are given updated lists of issues, things they're working on etc...

It really would do them far more good than it would bad to gain some trust and bond with the community that pay their wages.

Please dont think i just come on here to slate, i feel we have a great game in the making but i feel there are a lot of shortcomings away from the game that could be improved very easily. If ISI read this i hope they see it as a constructive criticism more than a slating.

I appreciate what they are doing as a team and the task they have but customer service costs little and helps to go along way with brand loyalty, especially in a market that seems to be getting increasingly stronger.

I have faith they will come good.

5. TonyRickard

TonyRickard Registered

Maybe I am more tolerant than most but these are small companies dealing with relatively low revenues compared with organisations like Dice. Perhaps I give them all too much slack but in the absence of publisher interest in the genre I am grateful for the enthusiasts that want to create racing sims. Their skills are probably transferrable to work on console titles that could well be more lucrative but they are passionate about producing hardcore PC racing sims that many of us here want.

Dice & SMS are significantly larger organisations, whether SMS can deliver a hardcore PC sim racing product along with the console releases remains to be seen but it is a very different model. I am sure ISI could do a lot more with 240 employees like Dice but I don't think the revenues we provide would quite match BF3!

I would love to get more info but it seems that the noise it generates just swamps a small team which is a shame but appears the nature of the sim community over the years as the demand is simply insatiable.

6. Sega Mega Dave

Sega Mega Dave Registered

I wholeheartedly agree that it's a mammoth task for a small team but a locked sticky with a bit of up to date information would bring down the demands and requests considerably more in my opinion.

For me it's not about wanting it all done yesterday and everything perfect just reassurance that they are aware and looking into it. I'm a list man, i like lists of whats what as it comforts me.

7. RNelson

RNelson Registered

ISI didn't ask anyone to purchase at this time. In fact, if you look way back they actually discouraged people from purchasing en masse. Their intent was to test the modding structure/system and the purchase/payment system. They made the product available in its beta state and all of chose to take advantage of this to pre-purchase the product. No where did they commit to providing updates etc. What they have done, as best they can - in my opinion - is monitor this forum and provided responses as best they can given their workloads and staffing levels.

What, from their behaviors would suggest they aren't trying to prepare the product for a final release? Does anyone that comes to the forums have sufficient information about the problems identified, the plans for systematically resolving them to honestly think they aren't working to fix this. Their initial belief was this would be an approximately 6 month beta period during which different components may actually be turned off. I think we need to let them do their jobs which is to develop the product. They delivered a quality product in rF1 and I believe rF2 willbe even better which is why I jumped at the opportunity to pre-purchase rF2. Everytime someone wants their hand held during this period means they can't be doing their primary job.

8. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

We are? I don't remember paying one cent to be a game tester, I just wanted to pre-buy rFactor 2. The fact that by doing that I get to test the beta for free is just an added bonus.

9. Duvel

Duvel Registered

would be nice to get a proper response from ISI to see what they are up to, just out of curiosity more than anything.

10. johnnyw

johnnyw Registered

This game simply is unplayable now atlest with my HD7950 3Gb. Framerate is just horrible ( classic formulas at monaco fps dips to low 30:s ) but even worse than that is really bad stuttering pretty much all the time.

I simply cant understand how performance can be so poor, GTX580 i had before this got like min 70fps and mostly around 100fps+ and this card is more powerful than that on 99% of the other games.

11. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

What do you have your CCC settings at? I'm getting 60 to 130+FPS at monaco right now and still tweaking. So far I'm pretty impressed with the 7950

12. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

It's hard not to be impressed with what I hear tell is by far the fastest single-GPU card on the market. /envy

13. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

lol. I said I wasn't going to buy amd again but after reading up on the 7950, I caved. :D

14. johnnyw

johnnyw Registered

Totally stock CCC settings, what are your ingame setting? AA & AF levels, HDR?, shadows,shadow blur etc?

I had all settings totally maxed out with my GTX580 and got good fps and smooth gameplay but now with this i get huge fps drops,stuttering,frame skipping and all kind of weird things. Monaco is by far the worst fps wise but even at sepang with meganes im only getting 70-80fps when with GTX580 is was more like 130-140fps+.

I Have 1920x1080 res, all settings maxed out ingame including AFx16 shadows full an shadow blur on,HDR ON,AAx4

Tbh even if you get 130fps thats ridicilously low for 2 fastest single gpu card in world, considering this game really dont look that special. I find it quite funny that i get higher fps and smoother gameplay in new extremely gfx intensive DX11 games LOL

This game just dont use my cards pontentional proberly, gpu usage is like 60-75% when with other titles its around 98-99%

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2012
  15. [NAR]Steve

[NAR]Steve Registered

Johnny, I don't know why you're getting such low frames with your system, it should kick mine to the curb, I am not getting GREAT FPS with mine, but it is plenty playable. I only get stutters offline on the very first lap, after that it runs pretty smooth for me. My in game settings are 1440 X 900, all maxed, except shadows at medium, and road and environment reflections off. CCC settings are Anti Aliasing set at 4X EQ, standard filter, Super Sampling enabled, AF at 8X, texture filtering at high quality, V Sync is set to always off, Surface Format Optimization is disabled. Specs are AMD HD 6950 2 GB, Phenom II X4 970, and 8 GB of DDR2 800. I get around 60FPS with those settings.

16. johnnyw

johnnyw Registered

Well your resolution is a lower and its makes quite a big impact to fps, if you would have same res as me you would be getting a lot lower fps too.

17. [NAR]Steve

[NAR]Steve Registered

Well, i connected to my tv at 1080P and the frames were lower, but not by much...maybe 5 fps difference

18. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Obviously higher end hardware isn't doing much with rF2 at the moment. Turn down some eye candy in game to get 100+FPS. Even then you'll notice dips into the 60FPS range. I'm sure ISI will get things straightened out come gold release. Crossing my fingers things get straightened out in the next update.

19. johnnyw

johnnyw Registered

Another thing ive noticed that this game seems to work better with older gen cpu:s even tho those are a lot slower. Maybe ISI dont have recent hardware to test it with.

20. RNelson

RNelson Registered

I would have to counter that johnnyw. I recently upgraded froma E6850 OC'd to 3.6 and older mobo (PCIE1.) to an i3 2120 running at 3.3 and a newer mobo that is PCIE2.0 and my frames jumped considerably and at higher in game settings. I reused my hardrive and video card, a 5770, so the installed version was the same and the same video capability as well.