ATI graphics optimization

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by NightnDay, Jan 11, 2012.

1. PTRacing

PTRacing Registered

my specs:

i5 2500K 4.4Ghz
    8gb 1600Mhz DDR3
    ATI 5870OC

All games runs very fine on this system, including iracing at 100-300fps, Battlefield3 at 50-100fps, Dirt3 at 100+, pCARS at 60-100fps.

I have a huge issue in rF2. I run vsync off at all times, because i can't stand the input lag turned on so i shoot for 120+fps whereever possible, because it smoothens out the tearing at that point. In rF2 i have the same issues as most of you have.
    At starts the framerate drops to 20fps running offline alone on the track will be a bit better at 40-60fps and a lot of jerkyness, graphical errors (shadows missing or flickering, textures blinking) multisample AA looks terrible, so i had to go for 4X+SSAA but the performance did not change at all, just my GPU utalization shoots from 50 to 80% while my CPU stayes at less then 30% on 2 cores the other cores are indling. CPU and GPU clocks are fine, and have the latest driver installed. I did try onboard and ASUS DG audio as well.

There is something in rF2 holding the whole system back. It may be one specific setting or it is just not optimised, but this engine in this state is just unplayable and my system has 3x the recommended computing power.

Also i can not understand when some says that he runs a butter smooth maxed setting at 40-60fps...that is a freaking tearing, shuttering fest that i could never race with. Offcourse human eye can see well over 100fps, we don't see frames in real life, we see unlimited amoung of waves, yes light is a wave. OK, our 60Hz screen can not show a full 120 frames, but you do see all the 120+ frames partially, just not the whole of them (part screen updating as quick as possible causing tearing until you hit 120-180 frames where it smoothens out).

Something has to be done in order for this engine to survive. It looks like something out of ~2008-2010 with the with computing power that should be standard at 2020. Not good if you ask me.

2. PTRacing

PTRacing Registered

Running 33fps is not smooth by any means (four times 33 may be smooth) and you do not run maxed settings if you turn off HDR, reflections and sound samples. Turn them on and you are running 20fps or less. It is not about how high framerates you can hit..but about what is the minimum frame rate possible.

I would not mind if it runs 20fps on our corrent hardware IF it looked miles better then anything else on the market that can hit 100+fps but it really isn't looking anything close to 2009-2012 titles! Just think about that NFS shift was released in 2009 and it was running on a developed rfactor engine, and it can also hit 100+fps with far better visuals. So right now, it runs as a 2015 software and looks as a 2009 software :(

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2012
  3. PTRacing

PTRacing Registered

Betas are the last step of development before release.
    Generally it stats when the feature set is complete and the software needs verification of bugs and possible performance issues. This software seems to be in an early stage yet, with many features missing and main features like multiplayer, collosions, ffb, tires needing attention + performance issues.

4. PTRacing

PTRacing Registered

I just can not belive this or there's got to be something very different on your system.
    That is what all of us should be running. Woud you be so kind to run a fraps benchmark and show us your CPU and GPU utalization and your ingame options screenshot? I think it will be a huge help to clarify the issue.

5. NightnDay

NightnDay Registered

and how about AA ?

6. Timpie Claessens

Timpie Claessens Registered

Agreed :D Show me those settings ^^

And @jomaho, I'll definitly give that a shot, thanks!

7. KBA

KBA Registered

I have also performance issues. My system is

i5 2500k
    16GB RAM
    HD 5870

And with high or full details i have 30-60 FPS. But i have found something out:
    It doesn't really matter if your details are high, medium or full. It gives you a few FPS more or less.
    But when i turn off Anti Aliasing i get almost 100 FPS more! Now i have 130 FPS instead of 40!
    It doesn't matter for me if i turn on AA in CCC or in rF2. So there might be an issue with AA?? With no AA the game is drivable, but it looks pretty poor :/
    Do you guys have the same experience with AA?

edit: it also doesn't matter if i have AA level 1, 2 or 3. in all cases the FPS ist pretty poor. Only if it is turned off FPS are good.

8. jwambach

jwambach Registered

I've had pretty much the same experience, I'm using a 5770. AA level 1 performance is acceptable (FPS high 50's-60), AA2 is 40-50, AA3 is around 6-9 fps. Core i5 760 8GB Ram.

9. Favio

Favio Registered

Hi guys, I'm new here, I don't know if someone post it but I tell you how I have set my rFactor. I've installed 12.1a preview drivers, run with all settings max except for HDR, Sun oclussion, road reflection and enviroment reflection, everything else to top, anisotropic x16, AA x3, shadow blur, 20 cars, etc... always have 60 fps and no less than 50 fps, the game see really nice for me!.
    Now what i've done it's to put the file d3d9.dll for ATI (or nvidia if u have), drop it in Core folder and done.
    In Config it going to say that u have an nvidia 8800 gs, don't pay attention to that, it's normal.
    This file help with a lot of game's, I have 20+ fps.
    I hope to help u guys, the file can download here http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HZY4SAGK , it's for ATI.
    Sorry about my english, hope u understand!!.

EDIT: my pc specifications

AMD Phenom (II) x4 965 3,40 Ghz
    8GB DD3 Ram
    HD Radeon 6870 Vapor-X 1GB
    Windows 7 64 bits.

10. SimonV6

SimonV6 Registered

I don;t think I ever quoted runnnig at 33fps?
    a a starting grid with cars all around me its around 45fps and then jumps upto around 60-70fps for the race?
    thats using Supersample AA becasue i can't stand jaggies on the picture that Multisample gives me :(
    in Multisampe however the fps are well over 100....but to me 60-70fps is almost the same and feels silky smooth once you have cut down the drivers head and cockpit shaking :)

11. kmw

kmw Registered

Hi,
    I have 2 x HD5750s in crossfire and Eyefinity, 8GB ram, and maybe the weakest part of my system is my cpu, an AMD 9650 Quad 2.3Ghz.
    I was very disappointed with my FPS (less than 30 at first), but have spent several hours testing the various settings, both in game, and in ATI CCC. I found no magic answer, but thought I would post my end result as it is quite an improvement. I began by turning everything I possibly could down as far as I could, including turning off FFB. Then I gradually increased a setting by a single step, testing the game each time. I've ended up with 55 to 85fps, with 20 cars on track. (F3.5, Malaysia, 5760x1080)
    Medium circuit detail, low player detail, medium opponent detail, low shadows, shadow blur on, everything else off.
    So it is worth spending a bit of time on this. It currently does not compare with the performance I get from other games (COD4, Race On, Game Stock Car, rF1) but it is very playable, we will hopefully see it gradually improve with development, but in the meantime I would encourage you to go through this pain in the *&% process as it might be worth it for you also :)

12. Jan Larsen

Jan Larsen Registered

My system specs (laptop) :

I7 720QM (1,6Ghz, 1333Mhz FSB)
    Ati Mobility Radeon HD5850
    6GB Ram

1920x1080 resolution, every detail set to minimum to gain as much performance as possible. 80-100fps at Monaco, 100-120fps at Spa.

13. djt

djt Registered

I've been testing the rFactor2 beta since its release last week on the two systems listed below both on fresh Windows 7 Ultimate 64 installs with the latest drivers for my particular hardware.

The new AMD/ATI 7970 that I just received last week exhibits the same lousy image quality that I’ve experienced with the 5870 I had before when running older DirectX 9 sims/games. Using super sampling AA cleans up the image quality very well but again just as I experienced with the 5870 over the last couple of years, it cripples the performance to the point where it’s not even usable.

I’m just getting around to testing with the Nvidia 580 GTX again but I wouldn’t be surprised if rFactor2 doesn’t turn out to be another title that just runs better on Nvidia GPU’s.

So far the only two racing titles I’ve tested where the 7970 seems to shine are Dirt3 and F1 2011 (both DirectX 11).

ASUS Rampage III Extreme (1502 BIOS)
    Intel Core i7-980X Extreme Edition w/Corsair H100
    Corsair DOMINATOR-GT 6GB DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) CMT6GX3M3A1600C7
    EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SuperClocked (290.53)
    WD VelociRaptor 150GB – Windows 7 Ultimate 64/SP1
    WD VelociRaptor 300GB – Games/Programs
    Corsair AX1200 Watt
    Corsair 800D w/NoiseBlocker fans

ASUS Rampage II Extreme (2101 BIOS)
    Intel Core i7-975 Extreme Edition w/Corsair H70
    Mushkin Redline Ascent 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) (6-7-6-18-1N)
    SAPPHIRE HD 7970
    Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty
    WD VelociRaptor 150GB – Windows 7 Ultimate 64/SP1
    WD VelociRaptor 300GB – Games/Programs
    SILVERSTONE 1500Watt SST
    SILVERSTONE TJ09-B

14. Hepatic

Hepatic Registered

Im running mine via a bootcamped XP on my iMac. It runs OK until i get close to other cars, then either the FPS dies or it stutters quite badly. Even dropping the other vehicles textures to medium doesn't make a huge difference.

15. Timpie Claessens

Timpie Claessens Registered

For guys using crossfire and the new 12.1 preview drivers, make a profile for rfactor2.exe and set Crossfire to 1x1 optimalisation. This seems to help the scaling a little bit on my hd6970's
    I've also started using Supersampling in combination with level1 AA ingame and the image quality has improved quite a lot while the fps seems to be more stable that using multisample in combination with any level ingame AA

16. FatnSlo

FatnSlo Registered

What fps gains do you see using crossfire compared to single GPU with these settings?

17. Jason Madigan

Jason Madigan Registered

I would also like to know what resolution you are using, and obviously 1 or 3 screens?

I have just applied your AA and 1x1 optimisation settings to my rF2 CF Profile and will now go for a quick test drive :)

18. tastyweat

tastyweat Registered

Thanks, I'll give supersample a go... currently using adaptive.

The above is correct, for crossfire you need to set up a custom profile for this game.

I was struggling to begin with, had to run at 1360x768, with level 3 in-game AA, HDR off and one of the reflection off.

Now, with a custom profile... I'm running 1920x1080 with 8xAA (set in CCC), 16xAF and everything on/max except for the crowd option (it causes texture anomalies).

I'm getting fps fluctuating between 55-65FPS... lowest drop i've seen so far is 48FPS... most of the time spent just above 60FPS.

This is with:

Q6600 @ 3.6GHz
    8GB RAM
    2x 5770

Using the 5770 sound through HDMI (sound seems to make a big difference to FPS for some reason).

There are people in this thread with better systems than mine running much worse FPS... get a custom profile set if running crossfire & force AA/AF in CCC while disabling it in game + lower your sound outputs if running an on-board (cpu powered) sound card... it would seem.

19. javixeneize

javixeneize Registered

Alienware M15x, 1GB ATI® Radeon™ HD 5850, working at 50 fps with max configuration

20. Duvel

Duvel Registered

A little off topic, but, give a little app called Radeon Pro a go. It's profile handling will knock your socks off. I found out about this one by someone just recommending it to me in a forum when I said how much i like the new profiles on the latest cats, and I could never go back now.

http://www.radeonpro.info/en-US/