ATI graphics optimization

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by NightnDay, Jan 11, 2012.

1. shum94

shum94 Registered

C:\Users\Ali\Documents\rFactor2\UserData : Config

FSAA=33

Apparently changing in rF2 configuring sim AA doesnt change anything in congif.ini, but changing manually makes a nice change in the rendering quality.

Level1 -> FFSA = 32
    Level2 -> FFSA = 33
    Level3 -> FFSA = 34

This is from Vevex enduracers.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2012
  2. cluj

cluj Registered

Tomorrow see if this helps me, thank´s :)

3. kludger

kludger Registered

Was hopeful but my config.ini already has:
    FSAA=34

Would have been good if that was it for me :)

4. 2k9

2k9 Registered

For online races now I disabled SSAA and AA to level 1.
    Otherwise I've got heavy framedrops, it's unraceable.

Let's wait for a new beta build and hope, the performance with radeon graphics card would be better

5. Cracheur

Cracheur Registered

without the intention to offend anybody in this thread: After 105 posts, it gets more and more confusing to get the problems.
    As far as I understood (and experienced myself), we all face issues with AA and/or FPS.
    I doubt that philosophical discussions about the performance of the human eye will help ISI to identify the issue. If we want the issues to be solved, let's remain a bit down to earth.

1. I believe that people posting here have at least taken the time to install the latest preview driver (12.1a), which works fine (within the range of "identified problems") for everybody that has installed it until now. Like this we are are at least all speaking about the same thing and ISI can exclude issues with different driver versions.

2. issues with ATI cards identified so far (if I'm wrong, pls correct me):

- massif flickering > temp solution: turn on SSAA. If your card cant handle it, turn down quality settings or even resolution.
    - "low" performance: > turn down all settings including driver settings. If RF2 still has very low FPS at low quality, the GFX might not be the primary problem. > Check sound driver, turn down sound quality etc... If the problems persists, provide feedback and ISI (or even AMD) has something to work with.
    > as beta users we don't necessarily need to provide the solution... however giving clear indications on whats is wrong will help the developers.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2012
  6. markcooka

markcooka Registered

I have been getting on average about a 100fps , going from about 80 fps to about 150 fps but about three times a lap it drops to about 40 fps ,at the start of a race i get about 60 fps . Some times it gets a bit jutty even when the fps seem to be doing alright .Highest of seen is 206fps and lowest 49fps .

In game setting everything set to high except shadows and hdr there off ,level 6 AA and 16xAF .

system spec
    i7 950 @ 3.40 ghz
    6970 x2 running crossfire 11.12 driver will try update to 12.1a
    6gb of ram

I think my rig should run this sim better but i am willing to wait for isi to get things running better .
    I think this sim is great and will only get better ,will all just have to be patient its only beta .

7. juanma451

juanma451 Registered

+1

8. Slimjim

Slimjim Registered

My specs are old and the only time i have issues is when running shadows.
    Vista 64, intel e6600 core 2 @ 2.4GHz, ATI 4850HD 1gb, ATI Driver 11-12,
    4gb ram, monitor Samsung T260HD 1080p 1920x1200.
    i have made PLR tweaks, ATI control panel tweaks.
    I run full track, full player, and full textures, AAx4, everything else set to low or off
    i get anywhere from 100 to 60 fps Monaco being the worst, as low as 35 in some sections.
    my PC is almost 4 years old, and it's doing a fine job, i would like to update at some point.
    but you need $$ to do that... for now i'll have to wait.. i'm sure ISI will sort things out in the future,
    as rF2 has a long way to go, and we all know it will just get better and better over time..

PS.. i have shadows turned off and i get this shadow patch at Monaco..

GRAB_001.jpg
    GRAB_004.jpg

9. francotopa

francotopa Registered

definitely there are some graphic problems...
    phenom II x4 965 3,4ghz , hd 5770, 4gb ram

i never had a problem with any game before (cod's, crysis2, dirt3, etc), being able to run them with all graphic settings on full without any problem.
    on rf2, if i set everything on full, i get (alone in track, with no other cars) 40-60fps with luck, getting 20 or 30 sometimes, and the graphic quality is far from what i think it could be.
    ive also tried setting the graphics to low or medium, and still the fps count is very very low thinking of what it should be.
    greetings from Argentina.

10. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Does anyone have any luck using the +nosound option? I tried it and the menu no longer has sound but when I load the track it crashes. So I guess this option still works somewhat. I thought it would be a good way to totally rule out sound as a bottle neck.

11. samuelkorthof

samuelkorthof Registered

I´am having problems with preformance as well. If I look at the FPS given ingame it always around 50fps no big dips or peaks. Although it seems te lag or jitter jutter slow down don´t know wich term too use. When I turn down the graphics like HDR and shadows it is much better but still the game seems too slow down. My theory is that my memory can´t handle the amount of information it is asked too proces. I was planning too buy a new mobo and memory (8 gb 1600 Mhz) so I now orderd this earlier. I will let you guys know if it makes any difference.
    BTW It isn´t fair too compare this beta with Dirt3 or F1 2011. Besides the fact this is a beta those games also have way less information about physics too calculate. Calculating realtime physics can be a pain in the ass for every kind of system. My system is Phenom II X4 955 3,2 Ghz with 4 gb DDR2 800 mhz ram and a ATI 6870 GPU with 2 GB memory.

12. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

It isn't the physics, my CPU usage is only 20% and I still get 30fps. It seams to be something else causing the bottleneck. BTW, I have 16GB of 1600Mhz memory and still have bad and inconsistent framerates.

13. NightnDay

NightnDay Registered

I remember that in F1 2011 there was a problem with some sound options and performance...
    but I can´t recall everything...

so I would not exclude this option

14. monkey wrench

monkey wrench Registered

Im having the same issues, just low frame rates, where you would expect them to be higher as with other new games, however I do realize ,as I'm sure we all do, this is just a beta version, but I would like some assurance this is a top priority for ISI to resolve.

rFactor always preformed better for me than most other games of its era, and I had hoped rFactor 2 would do the same.

Just looking for assurances from ISI that by release this ATI and Triple Screen issue will be optimized.

15. Tysonf1

Tysonf1 Registered

I started a new thread, but I am sure it will be moved here..

I have WIN 7 x64, i7 2600k 3.4 overclocked 4.5g, 8 gigs memory, two 6850 in crossfire, two Oz vertex 3 SSD in raid. Despite a good computer, i also am having problems with framerate and picture quality. I found some tweaking tip helped out.
    using catalyst 11.11.
    1)in graphics setup of game antialiasing set to none
    2)in CCC set to supersampling(this will help jagged edges)
    3)set aa to 8x (16x trade-off) I am able to still check sun occlusion without going below 30fps
    4)check enable surface format optimization (HDR will not show without it checked)
    5)Tesselation check AMD optimized
    6)checking morphilogical filtering button drops the framerates down to 15 with the other stuff where it is at.
    This gave me a playable game, not the best looking sim, but it is a beta
    I plan to try the 12.1 driver. number of sounds did not affect frame rate for me

16. [NAR]Steve

[NAR]Steve Registered

I just tried turning off road and environment reflections in the in game graphics options, and it significantly improved my FPS. Try that and see if it helps. I am running an HD 6950 2 GB card ( with shaders unlocked ), and 8 gigs RAM with Phenom II X4 970.

17. Duvel

Duvel Registered

If looking for the best visuals while still keeping things playable (barely though), I felt these offered the best bang:

View attachment 535 View attachment 536 View attachment 537

I can just about get 50fps out of this setup, but it looks really nice. On a 1920x1200 monitor it should do above 60fps with a similar spec system.

Can't wait until i can turn of SSAA, i hope a fix comes soon for all those jaggies.

18. caco

caco Registered

I have crossfire setup with 3 Monitors, and my crossfire doesnt work at all!! im woried......

19. F2kSel

F2kSel Registered

I just had this happen, I've been playing with the setting all night and getting nowhere.

At the back of the grid I get 25fps and in the corner I get loads of heavy stutter not FPS or wheel releated, then the game went to desktop because another program was informing me of an update.

I went back into the game and there was a little screen corruption so I restarted the race and suddenly my FPS had jumped from 25 to 56.

I then quit completely and rebooted the game and it goes back to 25 unless I go to desktop and then it goes to 56.

This wasn't happening before as I'd gone to desktop many times before, I can't see any loss of picture quality not that it was that good as I have most turned off.

Still the stutter in the corners is still there..

20. Nuno Lourenço

Nuno Lourenço Registered

Well I have a problem too...

Q6600@3600mhz
    6GB DDR2 " 961mhz
    HD5870 1GB

Estoril, 10 cars (megane), i start in last place with only 30fps maxed out. Everything in low only more 15fps....

GPU is only used by 50% +/-
    CPU same as GPU.

View attachment 565

Something is bootlenecking the game and is not only too me. Please ISI check all to verify if exist any bug...

Thanks.

By the way, with 30fps i can only test image and i love it. Good work guys ;)