HDR problems (?)

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by jubuttib, Jan 11, 2012.

1. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

Well son of a gun... I was sure I'd tried that, but apparently I hadn't! Set HDR on in rF2 Config, started game, HDR works, and it isn't in any way as overdone as before. Thanks for that GizMoTo!

So the in-game settings aren't functional at the moment, they make HDR go haywire.

2. Gopher04

Gopher04 Registered

I also suffer from these same problems, but on this suggestion above you shouldn't really have to adjust the monitor settings for different games/sims, do you have plans to put a gamma/brightness slider in the menu for us, would be really helpful?

3. kuato

kuato Registered

Reporting the same issue with my 5970. toggling wind/crowd or Shadow Blur while switching HDR does not fix it.

4. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

Have you guys tried turning HDR on in-game, exiting the game, firing up rF2 Config and turning HDR on there? Worked for me.

5. Gopher04

Gopher04 Registered

Yep have it working now, by turning off wind/crowd motion & Shadow Blur, exiting and then coming back in turning back on restarting again and all is well, apart from the strange odd glare problems which were mentioned in post 13.

6. gniewko

gniewko Registered

sun

7. Cuda11

Cuda11 Registered

same problem, hdr is not work

radeon hd 6870, newest drivers

:-(

8. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

I can actually have wind/crowd motion and shadow blur on if I want to, the only thing that made a real difference was turning HDR on in rf2 config instead of in-game.

9. otta56

otta56 Registered

HDR and Multiview Results

Hello,

I am reporting back on my results with a triple monitor setup and HDR.
    Multiview works on all tracks without HDR. With HDR only the center screen only is active. HDR also appears to wash out the image making it look over exposed. Wind & crowd motion and shadow blur settings are turned off with HDR.
    Shadows look like they have corrugated edges. Tree shadows are speckles rather than solid or blurred shapes at the edges. The tunnel in Monte Carlo appears dark before the car enters but a block of daylight appears to move through the tunnel ahead of the car as it enters.
    Effects appear to be drawn in layers just ahead of the vehicle.
    The framerate counter consistently shows over 140 fps regardless of having vsync turned on or off or limiting framerates in the .plr file.
    The frame rates appear jerky on screen despite the framerate counter showing 140+ fps. Vsync and frame limiting in the .plr file do not appear to help.

10. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

Turn HDR off, exit the game, select Configure Sim, select HDR on there, then restart rF2. The in-game HDR selection doesn't work properly.

11. johnsclander

johnsclander Registered

Same problem, Sapphire 5850.

12. varel

varel Registered

I have the same problem with overcasted rendering with HDR and crippled race menu with HDR aswell on ATI 4870. Changing other options does not do the trick for me...

Otherwise :)

13. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

I refer to my previous post: Have you tried it? Fixed it for me instantly, HD6870.

14. Dillyracer

Dillyracer Registered

I can confirm that enabling HDR in the CONFIG.exe works, enabling it INGAME makes it look washed out.

15. GothaR

GothaR Registered

This worked for me. I got GTX550Ti.
    Thank you, now the game looks much better :)

16. saloei

saloei Registered

I have a Ati 6990 and am experiencing a blinding bright contrast on the car's surface when driving a white car.

17. otta56

otta56 Registered

Hdr & sli

Further testing with HDR on and off still leaves the image over exposed with HDR turned on via the config menu although the effect is less strong than with wind & shadow blur turned on. Sky and road are still very white.
    SLI does not work with HDR active although both gpus are working (image attached).
    Turning HDR on or off does not appear to exact any performance penalty from the gpus.
    View attachment 606

18. varel

varel Registered

Turning the HDR in config menu and not in game has made the trick for me :D.

19. dude

dude Registered

I was trying to get this affect on again but wasn't able. Now I know what caused it. I actually liked it. And I saw some where that replays are in triple screen if you have it. I haven't been able to get it?

20. DmSProject

DmSProject Registered

HDR issue here as well.
    Rig is:
    AMD 955 3.2 Ghz OC to 3.4.
    8 GB 1333 mhz RAM
    Sapphire factory OC 1 GB 5850, driver 11.8 (not keen on upgrading to pre-release drivers)
    Resolution 5760*1080 on 23" screens.

Tried to max out the game, just to see.
    All effects on max in game, 3xAA in game
    Catalyst Application controlled
    Tesselation AMD optimized
    Texture filtering Quality
    Enable surface optimization
    Mipmap detail High Quality
    Vertical refresh off unless app specifies
    AA mode Super Sample AA
    OpenGL Triple buffering

Got 12-15 FPS and this "interesting visual quality" it's 50% size.

I saw the recommendations above to "fix" HDR, have not tried it yet. There are more pressing issues with the balance of performance & graphic quality I think. On single screen with Adaptive AA and significantly lowered settings in game I top out at 55 FPS... the best I've seen on triple screens is 33 fps, and then it's really ugly.
    /Dan