HDR problems (?)

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by jubuttib, Jan 11, 2012.

1. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

How does HDR look like for y'all? At least around noon I'm getting a pretty much totally burned picture, almost solid white. This example is from Monaco:
    [​IMG]
    I'm assuming this is a bug, you've made a big deal before about how you want the HDR to be less intrusive and more subtle. Mills looks the same for the most part, but there are some parts of the track that clearly have different settings, and appear almost normal (ie. darker).

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2012
  2. Michael Juliano

Michael Juliano Track Team

try toggling wind/crowd motion, or toggling Shadow Blur. It could be that the shaders need to be recompiled. Keep HDR on, try changing one of these two settings, and then reload a track. Hopefully it'll look correct after that. Please let me know how it turns out...

3. vyrush

vyrush Registered

Burnt images have been reported with some ATI cards!

its the option where is VSync, there is one option what makes my screen overlit.

4. Michael Juliano

I would suggest that if anyone has this issue you should try what I suggested and see if it gets any better... Not saying there may not be a card specific issue, but this could be a fast "fix" for at least some people...

5. vyrush

vyrush Registered

6. schuee

schuee Registered

Running a Nvidia 580GTX,ive turned things off 1 by 1 and still have the same trouble as Jubuttib,if HDR is off its fine,no bigdeal,early days.Also tried other tracks and still has that very white look about it.(HDR on)
    Can supply more detailed system specs if required.

Update, i now have HDR working fine, its on and all details are on, i turned off shadow blur and wind/crowd motion then exited and restarted rfactor2 and then HDR was fine, i then turned wind/crowd on and exited and restarted and it was still all good then turned shadow blur back on and exited and restarted allgood, the problem before was i wasnt restarting rfactor so i guess it wasnt taking effect.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2012
  7. Michael Juliano

Just to be certain, when you turned HDR on did you try to toggle either Wind/Crowd motion or SHadow Blur. There could be a bug that is not causing the shaders to be recompiled when you toggle HDR.

So, if you haven't, please try to turn on HDR and at the same time toggle one of the two other settings (on or off, makes no difference) and then see if there's any change.

If this is what you meant by "turned things off 1 by 1" while HDR was on and you still had no change then yes, it sounds like we have a deeper issue and ANY further info you could give us would be helpful...

Thanks...

8. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

@Scott: I can make the situation go between these two by turning eg. Environment Reflections:
    View attachment 411
    View attachment 412
    Problem is that even if I get it to work, if I then exit the track, and then load it up again, without touching anything in between, it goes back to being burnt. If I then turn Environment Reflections on, load the track, exit, turn Environment Reflections off and load again, it works, until I exit, after which the same rumba starts again.

Incidentally, when HDR is turned on (and applied, naturally), the pit screen works funny, it shows the current video feed on the whole screen:
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2012
  9. Michael Juliano

Okay, that is odd. I'll point the programmer to this thread. Any further info that can be provided will be helpful. For now I'd suggest running with HDR off until we can get something sorted. Hang in there...

10. Arthur.Hermont

Arthur.Hermont Registered

My sun is blue. That's kind of scary.

11. Michael Juliano

That's a known issue with the Megane windshield--should be fixed the next time we update the Megane series...

12. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

Oh, and even with HDR turned off, the lighting sometimes seems a bit off. When exiting the Malaysia pits at 7:00 PM it looks like this, no HDR:
    [​IMG]
    At noon the track looks fine without HDR.

13. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

This one also seems a bit weird to me. I'm guessing it's related to the sun, since it always emanates from the same spot in the sky. It's mainly annoying because it shines through everything. If it was blocked by structures I wouldn't have much of a problem.
    View attachment 464
    I thought I had a better screenshot of it at Mills, where it was glaring through the forest and a concrete fence, but I seem to have misplaced that one. Bug with the Megane windscreen (open-wheelers don't seem to have that)?

EDIT: Again, visible at 7:00 PM on every track I've tested.
    EDIT2: Found the picture!
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2012
  14. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Also make sure that you folks properly setup the brightness and contrast on your monitors.

15. punkstjimmy

punkstjimmy Registered

I'm getting the same, overexposed and see through menus.

Specs are on my profile, I have an NVIDIA card.

16. AnttiK

AnttiK Registered

I had a problem with '60s series in-car shaders. All cockpits from that series had a kind of light gray desaturated washed-out-look. The darks were too light including shadows, HDR on and off. It was like gamma correction was set too high on those cars and on those only, scenery and other series cars were fine.

The problem appeared after turning HDR on the first time. I don't know what I did different today, but yet another try and the cars are back to normal again. Perhaps it matters whether you change the HDR in-game or from launcher settings or some strange combination.

17. Dillyracer

Dillyracer Registered

I have the same problem with an ATi HD6950.

18. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

Contrast settings wouldn't affect screenshots though, unless set in-game. =)

But for the record, I have a calibrated monitor (though being a TN the gamma will always fluctuate depending on the vertical viewing angle) and a calibrated Full HD TV that I use to check these settings, contrast and brightness are quite alright. =)

And to add to the Malaysia pit thing, it's probably caused by the pit stall lights, as soon as I drive out of the stall the lighting works fine.

19. GizMoTo

GizMoTo Registered

I had this problem when I first turned HDR on and went racing the garage menu was terrible and track all washed out

to cure all I did was exit rF2 completely and restart the game .. it seems that rF2 needed to actually start up with HDR turned on...bingo all is right with the rF2 world and boy does it make a difference to the way thing s look

Graphics card is Nvidia GTX 480

20. francotopa

francotopa Registered

ati 5770 the same both problems, the HDR and the sun.
    (not complaining, just informing)