<100% CPU AND GPU Utilization?

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Pax, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Pax

Pax Registered

Hello All,

have done some laps tonight, mostly in an F3 at Monaco. I get 50-80FPS with multiview, 5760*1080, most graphics settings to medium-low and reflections and similar to off.

My system is an I7 2600K @4.5 GHz, ATI 6970, Win7 64 bit, Soundblaster X-Fi PCI-E sound, Fanatec CSR Elite wheel.

I thought I'd check where the bottleneck of the system was with running rF2, CPU or GPU, and I found something very interesting... Neither the CPU or the GPU runs at full capacity at any time!

This means the GPU and CPU are waiting for some other resource to keep up. Could it be the sound rendered in hardware maybe? DMA memory transfers?

This is something the devs should look into. Solve this and you will see a major performance jump :)

Here is a screenshot of two logged laps in the F3 around Monaco with the above settings:

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o251/px_seven/rF2_Beta_Build49_CPU_GPU_utilization.jpg

You can see the GPU has 70-80% utilization, and the CPU barely breaks a sweat at 4 cores (I thought you said only two were used?) around 15-30% utilization. Thus, huge improvement potential here by fixing this in rF2 (and for me to throw in some more GPU power = 7970 :) )

I there is a need, I can post my exact settings in rF2 and Win.

2. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

There are quite a few things that aren't working that's foresure but until ISI puts up a proper sub forum I won't bother cluttering up the forum.

Looks like there have been people who have paid and not been able to get things running so I'm sure that will be on top of ISI's todo list for now. Of course everybody wants their problem fixed yesterday. lol.

3. vyrush

vyrush Registered

yeah.. as tim was mentioning that there will be specific people to communicate and channel ur bug reports, making sure thing work out effectively

4. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

My initial post...

My GPU (stock GTX 460) is only running at 70% load when HDR is disabled and approximately 85% load when it's enabled. On the grid at the start of a race it's usually around 35% load and I have no idea why that would be given that the framerate is often around 30fps. The rest of my system is more than adequate (Intel 2600K + 8GB of quality RAM) so I'm not sure what the bottleneck could be.

That suggestion worked much better than I expected. I decreased the number from 32 to 16 and the game is definitely using my GPU better. Load at the start is now 60% and load during the race is around 85%.

New question: Does the audio system prioritize different sounds? Will my essential audio cues (engine, tires, rain, spotter, etc) take priority over opponents? I'd like to decrease the number even further (possibly to 8) but I don't want to lose too many sound sources.

(this image is from before the sound tweak)
    [​IMG]

5. m00ndancer

m00ndancer Registered

Similar experience here, midrange computer (See specs to the left) even with 15 AI on SPA the framerate drops and I'm not seeing either GPU or CPU using more than about 70-75%. Could it be memory management? My system is "old" and runs DDR2 6400 (800Mhz).

6. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

Try decreasing the audio effects to around 12-16 and see if that helps.

7. Pax

Pax Registered

I lowered the sounds to 8 but that made no difference at all (I have run a private testing at Monaco all the time).

ISI staff, could you also please move this thread no the new problem reporting sub-forum? Thanks!

8. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

My advice there was based on what point in the race you were having the issue, as at the start you have definite crowd noise and lots of cars. :)

9. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

10. kmw

kmw Registered

I have a similar problem. I am running Eyefinity and crossfire on 2 x HD5750 1gb cards, quad core AMD 9650 2.3ghz, 8gb ram. Windows performance monitor shows all cores to be working, I'm only getting 32 to 40 fps and yet cpu usage never goes over about 40%, and the gpus are also well under-worked. I've spent hours changing ATI settings and in game settings, fps goes down as I turn detail up, but cpu never gets used above 45%.

11. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

Has anybody ever gotten their GPU to run at >98% in rFactor 2?

(here's a graph from Project CARS)
    [​IMG]

12. Nor

Nor Registered

I have the same issue GPU (HD6850) runs @ 70-80%, CPU (E8400@3,4Ghz) runs @ 50-60%.

I checked it for RACE07, the CPU runs even slower, but the GPU is allways 98-100%.

I think it's the main issue why most have performance problems.

13. NightnDay

NightnDay Registered

same for me 70-80 %

14. Steven Karlsson

Steven Karlsson Registered

I have gone through the gfx settings to see what I could find.
    Some base info in my PC:
    CPU Core2Duo E8400 @ 3Ghz
    Memory: 4GB RAM (Corsair PC6400) - Can only use 3GB since I'm still on Win XP
    Motherboard: Asus P5N-D
    Videocard: Asus Nvidia GTX570 CU2 - 285.58 drivers

Nothing tweaked in Nvidia Control Panel except for Antialiasing Gamma correction - On and Single display performance. I have tried with both off and it does not improve GPU load or fps.

Tools used to monitor load:
    MSI Afterburner and task manager

Game GFX settings.
    Resolution: 1680x1050 (Native res of the monitor
    HDR on
    Anti Aliasing Level 6 = 16 CSAA in Nvidia CP if I'm correct
    vsync off
    windowed mode
    widescreen UI

Weather clear. Daytime about 2PM
    I now started to mess with the Display settings in game.
    All set to minium or off value gives me about 120 fps alone in a Meganne at Mills Inner loop in the afternoon. GPU load was constant at 95-100%
    Then started to up stuff one thing at a time until I hit significant fps drop or lower GPU load and this is what I came up with.
    On my rig the following generated lower fps but not lower GPU load:
    Car, track + texture detail. Shadow quality. The rest except 2 things have not much impact at all

What do lower fps and GPU load significant is
    Sun occlusion
    Enviroment reflections

Each of these drop the GPU load to 70-75% and cut my framerate to half. CPU load rises a bit but not much but load is way higher on Core1 then 2. BTW most of the time Core1 load is about 70% and Core2 about 30%

Beside the GFX settings AI have a large impact on GPU load and fps. Funny part is I see no difference between 10 or 20 AI. 8,16 or 32 sounds do not change much either. HDR steals about 10fps no matter if there is AI or not.

So now I run with all Display settings maxed out except Ansio which is at 4x but with cun occlusion off and enviroment reflections off.
    Alone at track (Mills Inner) I get between 125-160 fps. Same with one AI on track.
    10-20 AI at start of a race about 55fps.

Hope this helps ISI to optimize rF2 and testers to figure out how to get some better framerate.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2012
  15. Steven Karlsson

Steven Karlsson Registered

View attachment 533 View attachment 534

BTW speaking of AI impact. This trace from MSI Afterburner is pretty telling. Look at framerate and GPU load.
    It starts out With loading the track, my car + 1 AI. I then press Add AI one at a time until I have 20 AI.
    85% GPU load and 87 fps with 1 AI
    57% GPU load and 39 fps with 20 AI
    All sitting in the garage

The load is about 70% and fps about 55 at the far side of the track. Load and fps falls getting closer to one or more AI. Collison detection play a big part in this?

16. Kiro

Kiro Registered

I'm at 80% cpu (duo) and memory (4GB) usage.
    Getting 60fps with reduced settings.
    High for essentials, nonessential, off.
    Private practice only so far.

17. kmw

kmw Registered

Looking at MSI Afterburner, it only shows one of my GPUs (the second card) being used, and yet the game does seem to perform better with both cards (Crossfire) enabled. Surely my other GPU should be showing some use in Afterburner, or does it all register only on the second GPU graph? Thanks