Framerate Stuttering

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by MarcG, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

OK, so my system used to be Vista 32 bit with 4GB RAM and otherwise same specs as now (which see). Before I had no real probs with stuttering. Now with 6GB RAM and Vista 64, same settings in-game I'm getting occasional stutters- but around 1 second stutters that effectively ruin my race. This may happen it may not and there seems to be no rhyme or reason. Sometimes i can run a whole race with np. It's happened offline and online (online seems worse).

2. Luc Devin

Luc Devin Registered

Hello
    The problem of stuttering framerate is not local but well in line.
    I believe that it is this side that qi' should see

3. JOR

JOR Registered

Thanks alot MarcG your solution works for me to, Stuttering is completely gone!!
    ==> Flush Previous Frame="1"

Edit: Stuttering is gone, but just for 1 lap only, stuttering starts from the 2nd lap and FPS descreases each lap, biggest drop is after the first lap, lets say 20-25 fps drop, and then each lap an additional 5 fps drop.

Clio@sebring
    at race start i get 80fps, after a few laps i go below 40 fps and alot of stuttering.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2012
  4. JOR

JOR Registered

Like a few other people in this thread i'm trying to find a solution to our performance problem as i can't play the game atm.
    My HD5850 is low end these days, but it should be more then enough to enjoy the game. Game is beta so i don't complain, just trying to find a solution, if a solution exist besides changing the code itself.

the game detects my HD5850 with 2795RAM. I only have 1024MB gpu ram!!
    I wonder if that has something to do with our performance problems.

I tried to change the userdata/config.ini (VideoRAM=1024), but that doesnt change a thing.
    game still detects 2795 video ram.

So my question is could that influence game performance and can we do something about it.

5. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Dedicated video memory + shared system memory = total available graphics memory

VRAM-Nvidia.JPG

6. JOR

JOR Registered

Strange thing is, i replaced my system's ram today

i installed 2*8GB ram

Now rfactor reports 735MB video ram

windows reports 1024 dedicated video memory and 3835MB shared system Memory.

Where's the logic.

I guess it's all about the technique rfactor is using to report the GPU Memory. I suppose it does not influence performance.
    dxdiag also reports approx 742MB video memory

my hd5850 has got 1024MB.

7. hoover

hoover Registered

How much RAM does your BIOS see when POSTing? Are you running a 64bit OS?

Cheers, Uwe

8. MJP

MJP Registered

Since the beta started I've changed the amount of system ram (3GB v 8GB), the vid card (512MB v 1280MB) and operating system (XP to W7(64)). I found that rF2 reports pretty close to whatever dxdiag reports and that amount represents the green bar you get in top left when you hit ctrl+f ingame.

I think it's possible it will impact performance because rF2 thinks you only have 742MB of vram so when you exceed that (green bar shrunk to nothing) then the texture quality is automatically reduced. I can't say for sure because for me dxdiag/rf2 has never reported less vram than I had.

9. JOR

JOR Registered

Bios reports 16GB@post and i'm running W7 x64 ultimate

10. szekto

szekto Registered

I still have stuttering, despite of I set the Flus Previous Frame from 0 to 1 in my PLR file.

My config:
    AMD Phenom II X4 945 @ 3.0GHz
    8 GB DDR3 1333 MHz
    Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5830 with Catalyst 12.12
    Win7 64 bit

11. veemax

veemax Registered

In my case Flush Previous Frame seems to have helped enough. I cannot set the details higher (medium), but now I can keep the fps > 60 with AA level 5 (Clio@Mills). Seems when fps<60 I am having stuttering. I game rFactor 2 with 3 screen 3D vision.

Thanks!!

My setup:
    Q9550@3.7
    GTX590 with 314.07
    8 Gb DDR2 800
    Zalman Reserator XT
    3xBenq XL2420T
    Nvidia 3D Vision 2
    Thrustmaster T500RS + TH8RS
    Windows 8 64-bit

12. Race Marshal

Race Marshal Registered

Hi,
    I had the same thing happening on my computer, which happens to be an older DELL server. One day while double checking all my drivers, etc..I noticed there was 'Intel Chipset Software' in the updates which I'd not installed. After installing the chipset software, the stuttering was gone. Not sure if that's a solution for everyone, but it worked for me :)