Framerate Stuttering

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by MarcG, Jan 10, 2012.

1. MaBo974

MaBo974 Registered

Well done!

2. Jason Madigan

Jason Madigan Registered

I have been searching this forum for issues that are similar to mine and tbh this is my issue almost exactly.

I have seen as high as 313fps on my system and my avg with everything absolutely maxed out running 1920x1200 is around the 80-100fps range. At the start of the session the beta is running flawlessly for me but after a few laps I notice the stutters start to come and then get progressively worse to the point where I can no longer complete a lap as the visuals become very disconnected from the physics and the stutters get longer. I have been watching both the CPU and FPS and have not seen anything alarming at all thus far.

I have also done some testing using 3 screens, obviously the beta does not have a crossfire profile available at this stage and I did not expect fantastic fps at all after reading all the info that is on the forum already but tbh I was quite impressed with the fps I do get out of it for the settings I used. With everything on and maxed out running an eyefinity resolution of 5968x1200 I was getting frames ranging from 18-80's and up but the fluctuation when it dips below the 30's is just too noticeable. However the same thing happens no matter what I do, after a few laps the stutters start to kick in and progressively get worse.

I have tried the *FIX* Flush Previous Frame="1" but it makes no difference to my issue.

Here is a link to a wip web page on my water cooled gaming rig build, the only differences to the specs listed is that the 1500W PSU is now installed just to be sure its not running out of the juice http://members.iinet.net.au/~mr.jason.madigan/pc_wbs.html

3. hoover

hoover Registered

Thanks for the suggestion, however it did NOT fix my stuttering issues. FPS are ok on my rig (19 ai, most stuff at max, env. refl. and sun occlu. off), in the Meganes stuttering starts about 50-60 secs into a race, in the fr35s after 30 seconds, historics are fine. Stuttering is worst in corners t1/2 at sepang north and the final corner back onto s/f and just about everywhere at mills, with fps dropping from 80 to as low as 23 at times.

4. MarcG

MarcG Registered

What drivers are you using? I used 275.33 last night, will update to the latest ingress tonight and test again with them. Also have you adhered the max frames rendered ahead in Nvidia control panel?

5. hoover

hoover Registered

I'm using 285.16 (see system specs), but haven't checked the control panel settings... thanks for the heads-up.

6. Rubber

Rubber Registered

HDR off MORE FRAME MORE STUTTERING

I notice the same issues as you noticed ( Nvidia Gtx285 slowest part of my system I've to upgrade to 6970 in next days ) I52500k 4.5ghz 16gb Ram SSD corsair force GT

I find a "solution" using HDR on this reduce (20 to 40 FPS less than without) 120fps without 80 with when 80fps without 40 with, but remove stuttering in Mills with Megane and the game is playable less fps but game seems more smoth, I also hope they will solve the Heat Haze problem that I noticed in the forum too.

The prerendered frames shouldn't be set to 0 this can lower the stability a lot I think 1 is the minimum value to be set
    btw I will remove HDR and I will try the tips in this discussion in order to get a game running with around 100fps ( HDR off ) without Stuttering, I will report later.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2012
  7. McClusky

McClusky Registered

Thanks! This worked for me, now to get rid of the jaggies that I see on distant objects.

8. SeKa

SeKa Registered

Thanks alot MarG, this solves my prob what I had only with Megane, and only on Cocpit view, Nose view and strongest at the Trackcam.
    But I guess the Megane Mod has some bugs, I have driver without a had on TVCockpit, choosen cars does not appear, and so on.

9. kosmo1982

kosmo1982 Registered

I have this stuttering issue only when i add AI to 20. FPS doesnt metter, even when its 60+ i had stuttering with 20 AI. Changing max prerendered frames from 3 to 1 fixed stuttering for me. With 10 AI there is no stuttering and it doesnt matter what prerendered frames i set.
    Also for performance disabling HDR helps a lot. HDR cuts my framerate in half.

10. hoover

hoover Registered

cosmo, can you please verify you get stuttering only in FR's and the Meganes? Does the stutter start instantly or is the sim smooth at first?

Cheers, Uwe

11. kosmo1982

kosmo1982 Registered

I haven't tested it too much. I know it happens with Meganes in Portugal. It starts instantly, its already there when i exit pitstops. I will try later historic cars to see how it is with them. Anyway you say you have worse stuttering in some corners. Thats where fps drops are usually so it seems its fps related. Try this prerendered frame fix, and if it doesnt help turn off HDR, road & enviroment refelctions. Also try racing with 10 AI and see if you still have stuttering. Beta seems to be not optimized yet.

12. hoover

hoover Registered

As I said earlier the sim is fine with anything less than 12AI in megane and fr35, and fine regardless of the ai number with the historics.

the settings you mention are already set except for the prerendering stuff which I'll try later.

Cheers & thanks, Uwe

13. kosmo1982

kosmo1982 Registered

i tried historics with 20 AI both on Spa and Monaco & there was no stuttering, so you are right about it. Setting prerendered frames to 1 is what removed stuttering for me. Rest is just for better performance.

14. Alex Ball

Alex Ball Registered

The Flush Previous Frame fix worked for me, i still only get 40-60fps, but no more slide-showing.

15. hoover

hoover Registered

Setting Pre-rendered frames to "1" does not fix the stuttering, neither switching to maximum performance instead of "adaptive energy mgmt" in the nv control panel.

Cheers, Uwe

16. FOG>Daheee

FOG>Daheee Registered

ATI5850 here and the stutters are bad. Tried this fix but it does not help for me.

17. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I clean installed the latest official nVidia drivers (285.62) and the Stuttering remains a distant memory thanks to the PLR setting.
    Glad its worked for some and sorry not for others, if its ATI related then I cant help you further sorry, hope something else is found. What I would suggest is just simply go through everything, turn things off up down etc and try try try. I must've reloaded the Sim 30+ times and re-install nVidia drivers 5+ times before I found the solution that works for me and some others, yes its a pain but thats Beta testing ;)

Good luck

18. apex

apex Registered

I think you and I are experiencing similar problems, but it was happening at various parts of the track for me, not just the start. The game itself drives fine and I have decent frame rates, but the AI cars on the track and during the replays are ghosting... like if you are playing online with high latency.

I've tried a number of fixes, but what made the most significance by far was disabling V-synch. This has almost eliminated the problem. Try it out, if it helps please let others know.

Incidentally, disabling V-synch also increased my FPS significantly!

19. F2kSel

F2kSel Registered

FOG>Daheee Same card same result after trying the fix.

Maybe time to switch to Nvidia.

20. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Thanks for posting, forwarded on to the engineers. :)