Framerate Stuttering

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by MarcG, Jan 10, 2012.

1. MaBo974

MaBo974 Registered

Try to set Maximum Pre-rendered frames to 0 in the nVidia Control Panel. Seems it fixed my stuttering.

2. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I downloaded and did a Fresh Install of nVidia drivers 266.58, the stuttering remains albeit slightly less than 285drivers but still undriveable. I'm currently downloading the lastest Beta driver 290.53 and will report back in a jiffy!

3. MarcG

MarcG Registered

tried that but no change, that worked for rF1 though!

4. Alex Ball

Alex Ball Registered

Are we sure the high-framerate-stutter isn't the FFB issue? it sounds very similar! I might try disabling FFB later.

5. MarcG

MarcG Registered

as I've said above tried with FFB turned off (even unplugged the G25 and used the keyboard!) and the Stuttering remains, it may work for others perhaps who knows...but for me...nope!

6. MaBo974

MaBo974 Registered

I confirm my stuttering is completely gone! Now the game is amazing! My nVidia drivers are v275.33. Maybe you can try other values too (1 or 2 for example).

7. Acestumacher

Acestumacher Registered

Yep same here I tried with FFB off and no difference, the problem I,m having is when going starting off the grid with AI, and I,m at the very back, the AI cars flicker and even stop on track as it seems, yet I have no direct flickering of my car.

8. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Might have to try those ones then, 290 beta drivers have no effect and I lose 5FPS from the 266 drivers lol!

Will try different Values of that as well thanks for the tip

EDIT: different Values did nothing either, downloading 275.33 drivers now

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2012
  9. shum94

shum94 Registered

I've got CPU as you and keeping at 3.05 Ghz is a waste as thi sbaby can go up to 4 Ghz

3.6 Ghz being reasonible.

10. MarcG

MarcG Registered

nope 275.33, same Stuttering with different Max Frames Rendered Ahead :(

wont be OC my CPU anytime soon ;)

11. F2kSel

F2kSel Registered

Isn't this the same problem that plagued rF1, no stutter for some terrible stutter for others and never a reel solution.
    I really didn't expect this to stutter given I have for cores but as 2.5 are doing nothing much I can't say I'm surprised.
    I don't even see the point of trying to upgrade my system as you can't guarantee that the problem will go away as people with better rigs still have the problem.

12. MarcG

MarcG Registered

POTENTIAL FIX

OK this worked for me:

Open your player.PLR file and find this line:
    Flush Previous Frame="0" // Make sure command queue from previous frame is finished (may help prevent stuttering)

Change the 0 to a 1

This works for me, its a helluva lot better and the main thing its Driveable at Mills in the Cockpit of the Megane in a race with rain!

There is also this line:
    Record To Memory="0" // record replays to memory rather than disk (may possibly reduce stuttering, but at your own risk because memory usage will be significant for long races)
    Would think turning off Replays would have the same affect as this?

Why did'nt I check the PLR file first?!?! :facepalm:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2012
  13. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

+1

14. Acestumacher

Acestumacher Registered

This is one problem I see all the time, any mod, any track, see the flickering ai car in front, comes to a stand still and I hit it.

15. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I've just done a quick two 5 lap races in the Megane at Mills in the Cockpit, with Rain and Details as I like them (FPS sometimes in the 30s so need to tweak some more) and the Stuttering is completley gone! At first when I changed the PLR setting I think I was seeing the low FPS as in both those races I had my first proper taste of RF2 "Fun" without thinking about Stutters...just lowering some details!

So try it out, if it works PLEASE post here, also if the Max Frame Rendered Ahead trick works (as it did in rF1) then please say so.

16. Ghost_Unit13

Ghost_Unit13 Registered

Marc,

Looks like this fixed my stutter. thx!

17. Simon Peace

Simon Peace Registered

MarcG - worked for me... still cant get high enough fps to get all the features but the stutter has gone. I did both changes in the plr file. I havent gone back to checking if one made the difference or needed both... but it defo worked for me THX.

off to bed now and Autosport International Show for 2 days!

18. F2kSel

F2kSel Registered

Still the stutter is the same for me, practice was fine but when the race starts it's slide show time even at 40fps. If I quit the race and return to practice the stutter is now there as well but at a much reduced rate. The only cure is to restart and not run any races.

19. iCErAINCTV

iCErAINCTV Registered

in my case it's a short stuttering, like slowmotion, but only in Multiplayer and not all the time.
    If i put my foot from accelerationthrottle and then accelerate again it's away for some time, really strange but seems to depend on the controller?
    got G25 with latest drivers on W7
    regards

20. jefcam

jefcam Registered

good fps, but game slows down at particular times

Have a brand new Inter i7, with a GTS450 Card (the gts is the weaker part of my computer).

But still i have read in this thread, that even with high end video cards the same problem was reported.

In some parts of the tracks, the games slows down despite having good fps