Post your initial impressions here

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mclaren777, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Rubber

Rubber Registered

instead of I'm the one in the avatar :cool:

2. Badblood

Badblood Registered

Initial impressions are frustrating. Graphics card is not up to it but I knew I would need a new one anyway so turned all the details off and ran at 800x600 in a window. First frustration is that my drivername is Unknown and I have never been prompted to enter one. I cant modify the Player.PLR directly because the game just changes it back. Can't find anywhere to set it... grrrr

Second, the sound is awful initially and most importantly I don't get a 'feel' for the car.

Weirdly, my car looks ten feet long and all I can see is arms... (not literally, they are just very long) which are not rendered correctly when at the extreme limits of steering. Not like the video of Monaco at all. Is this a setting or what.

As a GPLer who was all excited I am a bit frustrated. Will there be a demo when it goes to full release? That way I could test before I buy. As is, I have bought it and then had to ask for a refund which is disappointing.

3. Rubber

Rubber Registered

back in topic

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/2116-All-cars-tracks-mod-online

this is not a good start for me!
    people are creating mod to enable all tracks with specific vehicles on the server and mod are needed to work around that, generate confusion so I really hope they will fix this soon using rf1 system puls the option to select all trac!!!
    after if I want to race with mi bicicle mod on Indianapolis it's up to me... :p

4. LeZaz

LeZaz Registered

I'm an old GPL lover but inactive in the last few years and the same for rFactor, not really played in the last couple of years.
    I didn't have much time to get use to the new menus and different setups and didn't have time to setup my G25 wheel to my taste but.......my first few laps (only 1 without a crash) in Spa and...........:) what a speed immersion. The best I ever felt on a computer.
    I'm almost afraid of the speed............lol.
    And even if I knew the old Spa from the tips of my fingers, I realized that with so many details, I didn't remember enough of that track and add a realy, realy hard time to stay on the track.

First comment=FANTASTIC and you're telling me, it's a beta???? Wow, can't wait to see the finished product.

Second comment=BAD, I can't start a dedicated server for me and my friend.

LeZAZ

5. StopPt

StopPt Registered

yes i can see it sucks :S but now im low on tim€ you see... can i sell mine? if so how much is it worth?

6. Rubber

Rubber Registered

?!

click on host button in the launcher and setup your dedi like in rf1, I've no tryed yet in lan but I think that will works
    for sure the have to access multiplayer match maker and find your server there, this is the limit that GJON decided to apply on rF2 for LAN users to limit the piracy I suppose, I've to respetc his decision but for me is a mistake, like everything that limit user that pay for "limiting" piracy it's a FAIL... Steam docet... service and good price = people buy
    the Pirate that don't buy for culture don't buy also if you remove LAN or stuff like that... so you will earn some money from family with 2 brothers or group of friends but it's really worth it?

7. Patrick Giranthon

Patrick Giranthon Registered

Beta mini-review

Hi everybody and ISI team.

I don't know if ISI looks at the french forums but I did and I think it is important to do.

I have read many many forums, french (Racing-fr, FFSCA, SRE (I am one of the admins), etc...) or english (RD).
    The beta of RF2 divides poeple A LOT!

I have tested RF2 beta and here are my conclusions, melted with french players tendencies. Hoping it will help ISI and other players.

Graphics :
    An improvement on RF1, for sure. But it seems that is the same engine (it "seems") with only more objects and better textures (or mapping? Sorry, I am french).
    With CARS or games like this, many players are disapointed. I think this G motor is a choice and I don't think ISI will change it. So, we have to keep it.

Sounds :
    Sounds are good. It is a good point for the game.

Tracks :
    A good modelisation for the tracks. We see the bumps (more realistic and really necessary) and it is also a good point here.

FFB :
    Here is a really important thing for me (and many players).
    First, the FFB is not equal in quality for each car (not only my personal point of view)
    Many many poeple say that the FFB is really better than the RF1. But I think that better than RF1 doesn't mean that it is an "excellent" FFB.
    In fact, there are two differents groups for this aspect:
    - poeple who are RF1 fanboys. They like or really like what RF2 proposes. A normal thing I think.
    - poeple who are fanboys of Game Stock Car (my community fully supports it so I read a lot on this point, and also on the GSC forum of RD). I am a GSC fanboy too and I am really not satisfied with what RF2 proposes. The ffb is not "fluide" and the loss of grip is not rendered properly. (I respect the work you do, ISI, but I give my opinion). Same sensation for me for the F3 and F1'66.
    I really don't know what is driving a V8 or a F1 but I am sure of one thing : in 20 years of simulations, my best pleasure is to use the GSC FFB (realistic or not, I can't say, I talk about the feeling of realism), and many drivers are in the same situation (even the test of "insidesimracing" told this. GSC is "game of the year" on RD also because of its FFB and track modelisation).
    So, for me and other poeple, I think that improving the FFB is the priority number one. 80% of the feeling use the ffb (ears and eyes do the last 20%) so please take a great care of this aspect.

PC and specs :
    Here again, many many players are really not satisfied with the graphic optimisation.
    Personnaly, I was first satisfied for my first test. All options to full. AA level 3 at AF x8. But I realized that I had only 9 AI... So I tried 19AI and... hum... Not fun at all.
    On Estoril with 20 Megane : about 20 im/sec and 5 im:sec in the hard-chicane, before the straight...
    My PC : E6600@3,2 Ghz with a GTX275. I think a new GC at 200€ would be the solution but as an administrator, it is hard to ask to my teamates to buy the game and the GC needed with.
    Poeple think that it could be solved for the final game. I don't think so. ISI has choosed the Gmotor and it is not possible to change this. Perhaps new drivers could help the GC but there are many objets on the screen...
    I don't know what kind of optimisation ISI can do but at this time, if I want to use this game smoothly, I have to spent a lot of money. It was not my goal when buying the beta.

RF2 has some good points but I think that a better FFB and a better optimisation is a real need for many players. (hard for the optimisation I think).
    Sorry to insist but the FFB will be an important aspect in the future game. Buying a new GC is a possibility but I have to take as much pleasure as GSC FFB give me at this time. Some other poeple will propbably come to say "put the NKPor ffb, I like it".
    But today, it is me who is only saying "don't copy gsc ffb but get inspired of it : bumps, fluidity, immersivity".

I know you probably do your best but the goal of this beta is to help you to transform RF2 in one of the best sim. At this time, many poeple see RF2 like a RF 1.5 so I think the next months will be hard for ISI.

Keep working like you do and, as a player and also an admin, I will be pleased to propose RF2 in our championships.

Thank you for reading.

8. daltontr

daltontr Registered

My only complaint would be the terrible fps.

AMD Phenom X4 9850 Quad Core (2.50GHz)
    Radeon HD 3870x2 (1GB)
    4GB Ram
    Win 7 - 64Bit

And it is nearly undrivable at 1024x768 and graphics settings either low or off. Considering I can play rF with all the bells and whistles at a resolution of 1920x1200...it's a little disappointing. Yes, I know it's still in beta, but I expected better performance at the minimums.

9. ajk

ajk Registered

60's formulas are great, Megane is fairly dissapointing and FR 3.5 is either complete crap or a mystery to discover. New Estoril is well done but boring because they removed all the fast corners (not ISI's fault), Historic Spa is monumental but boring after a few laps, Monaco simply silences the lambs, incredible. Malaysia is well done but as boring as always, haven't tried Mills but I bet it rocks. Mixed feeling on FFB, graphics given overall FPS performance is crap. Mod manager is perfect, GUI needs work. A few bugs & suggestions. Read on.

60's formulas have been praised to heaven, I conclude and concentrate on other things. Megane and especially FR 3.5 suffer from similar floating feeling as way too many rF1 cars. They're numb, have no other feedback on grip but visual cues and some sound. Where FFB in 60's formulas is great and you can feel rubber bite the tarmac the two modern cars lack all that. Grip is on/off, feeling the limit is impossible. Megane is better, FR 3.5 feels horrible to be honest. Pointy, slippery, unpredictable and unstable even at high speed when one would assume downforce to grab the car and press it firmly on track. It feels like it was missing the rear wing. Maybe I can't just drive but it is impossible to warm up the tyres in FR 3.5 as they cool down faster than light by the end of a straight. 67' F1 is far more controllable despite having insane power and tyres and aerodynamics straight out of history books of DIY garage engineering. Megane retains the tyre temps better of the two after a few laps when tyre has warmed all the way inside not just the surface.

Force Feedback. Bumps on track are extremely well communicated to wheel, the car also responds to bumps neatly. You can see, feel and hear the stiff car (especially FR 3.5) crash over the bumpy parts especially at slow speed. Very nice. Historic formulas have good feeling of grip but Renaults lack it. Changes in steering force are too small and required steering force too light. Caster changes improves the feeling a bit as should but I'd hope for more weight and variance on FFB steering forces. If I enter a small power slide I'd like the wheel to lighten a touch and the wheel to stiffen again once wheels find the grip at the end of exit. It probably does that but in such small increments the information does not reach your backbone.

Tracks are well done, ambience is superb. I spun FR 3.5, stalled the engine heard complete silence with a flapping sound I though must have been a flag waving somewhere nearby. Also heard horses at far distance in Spa garage but at first thought they were my friend's I was chatting with over headphones.

Seriously the graphics engine needs A LOT of optimization. It's way too heavy on CPU. People say physics and etc. eat a lot of CPU time but it is really the graphics settings that make night and day difference to FPS. If it was physics that eat all CPU time graphic settings would have little impact on FPS. Graphics are crisp and from time to time even impressive, I would have appreciated a bit less cartoony approach in color pallette. But given the performance hit it is hard to understand why rF1 has 10 times better FPS. People with lower spec PC say the game looks horrible in comparison to rF1 as they need to go close to "wireframe" state.

GUI looks great but is a bit difficult to browse tracks and all cars. Given we have a hundred cars after a few mods, It'll be a pain to find the one you want. Simple text listing would be enough most practical. If you want to race Megane in historic Monaco you need to select show all cars&tracks or Monaco is hidden and browsing becomes nightmare. Garage settings are also difficult, messy but I guess I get used to it over time. Weight distribution settings need clear "F:R" to show which number corresponds to front and rear. HUD displaying damage, tyre temps etc. is often grayed out with only tyre temp readings working.

A bit of a dissapointment at this point, there's more work to do than I anticipated. After all this open beta was mainly for developer tool testing but there's other fundamental stuff that leave a lot to be desired. Great potential no doubt but honestly dissapointment is the feeling. Sniff.

With all respect, in futher anticipation,

ajk

EDIT:

Specs
    HD 5870
    i5 760
    4 gig RAM
    Win7 x64
    GT3RS v2 + CSP

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2012
  10. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

Best review so far, thank you very much.

11. LeZaz

LeZaz Registered

The problem is I did click on the host button and was capable to get in but my friend was not capable to join me.
    As for the rf1 setup, it's been so long now, that I don't remember what I have to do as changes to run the dedicated.

Anyway thanks for your answer.

LeZaz

12. Rubber

Rubber Registered

in Rf1 dedicated system the only thing taht you can change to allow other on the net to see the game is allow that by the firewall of your OS or third party if running...

there I really don't know how it works, if is possible to host at home to people over internet or just over your LAN if you need pubblic IP or if works under nat ... I need to check, meanwhile good luck and if you found a solution please post :)

13. LeZaz

LeZaz Registered

Thanks again, but I already gave access through my firewall.
    I heard about multiplayer.ini file (some modifs to make?) and opening port? but don't know how.
    And I wonder why I do need to open ports if my firewall let access?

Anyway, I'll let you know as soon this issue is fixed.

LeZaz

14. E.Neytman

E.Neytman Registered

also the tire choice of other players is not visible. Always slicks.

All in all the game is great, but i`m frustrated about the lack of steering resistance. Had to enable a centering spring.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2012
  15. Jose Casanovas

Jose Casanovas Registered

My firsts impressions:

After spend a lot of time reading controller , plrs changing testing different combos , both graphics and ffb effects

The megane and the FR 3.5 in my opinion are cheap looking , no inmersion at all while driving, the ffb , physics are poor, when u changhe things on setups , theres no possibilty to do 5 laps to take rythm and feel the setup changes, the cockpit of the megane is worst than TOCA game 90s btcc game, the wheel is ridicoulous finishes,
    Back to the feeling of the car: the suspension has no effect, no transferenc weight feeling, outside sounds are ridicolous.
    the physics in crash are not well adjusted. if u hit something at very lkow speed , the car sometimes start to roll.
    1 thing its ok is if u hit fence the car goes asimetrical and the wheels are perfect showed from outside.
    Back to the physics, same as rf1 when use steering , braking, throttle and slide a little bit fast, the ffb are too slow, the physics of movements of the car sometimes are unreal.

The 60s mod and tracks are better in quality, i miss a pure heel toe upgrade here, like tranny in historix mod. very imprecise steering, and again poor weight transfer while braking throtlle , left right.
    the car comunicates bad to the wheel.

Performance:
    the performance of the software is poor, lots of resources free in my pc with low fps in game, when seems to start going well then freeze or stutter, or fps drop fast and then goes up fast again, all of this mixed with tearing textures.

In my little opinion i think this beta is wrongly exposed to the community, i would prefer the mods and track to test offline than pay a thing thats already obsolete and have a lot of work to do. But thats only an opinion.
    May be i expected too much for i have in consideration rfactor1, thats very good, i didnt expected a finished product, but if i pay i expect something usable, something thath where u can experience with new physics , only a few devices are there, the carnage bodies and the tires physics, lightning and mobile things in the track, for me this is silly, its not more real if a flag is blowing on the wind or is static guys, or the farmer of spa have cows or horses.
    I cant imagine an off road race in rfactor2 as it is as now, dirt late models , sprint cars and desert trucks as short course trucks

I repeat thats only my opinion, i do not hide under a nick or allias, so this is not bad intentionally writen, is just my opinion, the opinion of a super rfactor addict.
    Thank you.

16. MarcG

MarcG Registered

ok now that I've got over the Stuttering issue I've had plenty of time to get some first impressions down, here goes:

- FPS obviously worse than rF1 to be expected, however with updates and tweaking I think I should get more as the months pass towards official release
    - AI are much better already, not had a proper fiddle with them yet but I'm already seeing things that had me beaming from ear to ear! Cant wait to dive right into this area of the Sim
    - HDR is great, when I do whack the settings up just for kicks it does look blooming amazing
    - Weather is awesome and its not even fully utilised!! Absolutley loving the rain showers, dry lines appearing, clouds moving overhead, amazing!
    - Real Road, not ran a long race yet (10lapper max at the minute) but the 'Groove' that gradually appears is great, would look better with higher settings no doubt as on my low settings some corners of the Groove can look jagged. But its already looking fab as is
    - FFB, apart from the initial problems with the Rattle (yep done the fix, using a setting of 4 for the Meganes, 8 felt too soft) it Feels very good, needs some tweaking my end though to really get a Homely feel.
    - Cars are great, tracks are superb
    - Sound, FINALLY 5.1 in use!! some jitters but overall its great and adds a whole new level of immersion to the Sim

Thats it for now...I've got a long race to run!

17. shum94

shum94 Registered

The first impression is bad, the second is nerving (lot of tweaking for framerates).
    The third one is me watching others as i don't have a wheel. And even the netcode looks beta.
    I did not find the rFactor feeling with the car being there.

Last impression was better as i could get some kind of ok setting for fps and ok rendering, so i could lap a bit even without aids with a keyboard (yes i can).

Now i see potential, lot of it and looking for gt legend screenshots and rF one. It made me realize the step forward rF 2 made, except i expected more than one step forward.

To be at my taste it would require more than 2 layers of fx, right now the shadows are jagged and i cant even see the solidness of what rFactor had in shadows. Sure mills looks better but with hudsons texture i could see bumps and deformation on tarmack. Everything feels so clean, i like to see some kind different tarmack looking, bumps & deformations & holes. 3d effect on curbs.
    Right now they look flat.

Even with tires marbles, hr gmt, hr textures i wonder if it will match my standards.

Night lighting feels quiet the same, i'm disapointed and i hope its not something who has been worked on.

Weather : the lighting is quiet dark and i hope to see variations, right now it feels like we got only malaysian dark heavy rain we had last year or 2 years ago in malaysia f1 gp.

On a final word i dont understand why so many things arent ok like ffb on curbs or off track, yes it's a beta but we read there was a closed one since lot of time.

So obvious to see and fix.

Anyway i did not ask for refund as i have still have hope.

18. slow_duck

slow_duck Registered

What is this for a symbol? Any use?

19. shum94

shum94 Registered

Pitstop if i remember correctly or pitcrew ready.

20. Hutch-SCO

Hutch-SCO Registered

All that prehand bitching and moaning schum and i thought you were a sim fan, keyboard you say :eek: