Post your initial impressions here

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mclaren777, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Phil Ashio

Phil Ashio Registered

PC specs:Intel 2600k cpu, 16 Gb of mem, Dual Nvidia 570's, Windows7 64bit

So far so good. No major issues with downloading or signing up. I am having some frame rate issues when I am in single player mode when I am in the middle of the pack. A lot of stuttering very poor fps. I will be tweaking the sound/video settings as was mentioned earlier and see what that does.
    Multiplayer mode works well. I did a couple of races. I only had one real issue. When in the 60's F1 and at Monaco. I braked too late into turn 1 and the left front wheel hit and then was stuck in the guard rail. I was able to go about 50m up the hill and then back down again and the tire would not release from the guard rail. I went back and forth 2 times. The car then abruptly barrel rolled, landed upside down, corrected itself and I was on my way racing again. Amusing to say the least.
    Overall I am impressed with the game. It works well with my G25 wheel. Still needs a lot of work, but that is what beta is all about. Keep up the good work.

Thanks.

2. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

I only had about an hour and twenty minutes to install RF2 this morning before walking out the door for work.
    First impressions: Install of .exe and car and track content...smooth. No issues.
    Purchase of license: I had a little bit of a hassle. It kept rejecting the e-mail address because of a capital letter. I also had to cycle the two verification words numerous times, because I could hardly read them. It took most of the twenty minutes to sort that out.
    Got into the game after setting controller and other options. Picked the Megane for a three lap session. On entering the track, my clubsport pedals appeared to have a stuck throttle. Exited and recalibrated. Got back in and same issue.
    Figured I'd still try a few laps and just play with the brake to slow the car. Car would only moderately turn in the first corner of the track at Portugal.
    My framerate was around 15fps and very choppy.
    I'll play with it tonight to see if I can get it to run better.
    I read that SLI was having a few issues, so I'll have to disable that during my retest. I fully expect bugs and issues. It's beta software.
    It'll get sorted eventually. If I can't get it to run better, I'll just set it aside and wait a bit for updates.

3. Giz

Giz Registered

4. ROON

ROON Registered

I'm really enjoying it so far.

No issues during purchase. Transaction was fast and easy.

No issues during installing, other than trying to figure out where the mod packages are supposed to be placed. The Megane's and Classic's installed without a hitch, but when ever I go to race online in a R3.5 server it says I don't have the mod package installed, when it is. It works fine in single player. Is there something I'm missing here?

In-game experience is lovely, I've spend around five hours driving the Formula 2 cars around Spa and I've enjoyed every moment of it. Definitely a great challenge with all driving aids turned off, but not impossible or unenjoyable. I think it's a nice balance of realism and making it accessible.

Two things I really dislike are the sounds in the GUI (menus), all of the stupid 'whoosh' noises and such, I think I could do without those. And the sound of the helicopter when viewing replays from the aerial shot, that's really bothering me as well.

Overall I think it's pretty solid even for a beta, there's no major glitches that I've encountered, and using the G25 everything feels great with the default settings. Frame rates are also good with all settings maxed out.

5. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

Holy frickin' hell... I BELIEVE!!!!

I was very blah about rF2 last night. Beta, yes but... so lacking. Slideshow framerate, FF that was trying to destroy my wheel and sent the cats running away, impossible to drive cars, etc. So today I accumulated tips from this forum and took a fresh start. I disabled SLI, switched to single monitors, filtered the FF, etc and ran Spa '67.

I was getting 120-150 fps, aliasing is a mess (so what, it's a beta). Also, I need to tweak the FF but it's good. Really good. These cars are on the edge of trying to kill you and it felt like it. But, this is the thing that blew me away, I'm driving along in the sunshine and then the clouds come in. Not suddenly, mind you but so gradually I didn't notice... then it got darker and started raining. So. Freaking. Awesome.

Last night I was ready to ask for a refund. Today, I'm in love. My first real sim was Grand Prix Legends (those of you who have driven it know how good it was), this is the closest I've felt to that sim in years and then the dynamic weather on top. Wow.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2012
  6. Sankaracharya

Sankaracharya Registered

Great game, I love it.
    Right now I'm racing as "unknown", Can some one please let me know where I can put my name, I can't find where to change it.
    Thanks

7. Goat

Goat Registered

I think the Sounds are great on my 5.1 system. I love the echo effects in the garage and the reflected sounds from the track side objects. Would like to hear the rear engine cars more out of my rear speakers.
    FFB is great.
    Active groove is awesome.
    Replay is average. Shadows are wonky for me (may be my settings)
    But over all this is spectacular!!

You all deseve a round of applause!!

Goat

8. Christopher Snow

Christopher Snow Registered

Yeah, I've "died and gone to heaven" too (oh so many times now!)...

...and, oddly enough, heaven apparently looks just like Belgium did back in the 60's. ;-P

LOL--who knew?!

-----

Huge, HUGE fun, this thing, but very tough too.

CS

9. metalnwood

metalnwood Registered

I can't play it anymore. I had an online session with just 8 laps, unfortunately as I has a fever I felt like throwing up for a couple hours afterwards. Very good fun and when I can get in front of it again without the side effects I will :)

10. Pigsy

Pigsy Registered

Sankaracharya, you have to login. When the system recognises you you'll have your registered name as your player name.

11. emilblixt

emilblixt Registered

Constructive feedback:

I analysed what I thought was weird about the FFB and I´ve come to this conclusion:

The "core" of the FBB that communicate tire load, weight transfer, grip etc. feels filtered and spongy and not very "direct".

The bump information on the other hand is very raw and exaggerated, like an effect beeing added randomly to a flat surface.

I have a g27.

12. prunn

prunn Registered

first thoughts:
    the platform looks nice but,
    car physics are awefull its worst than driving on ice -> megane worst ever
    I can't feel the curbs... even at mills the yellow ones you go straight over them and nothing happens...
    monaco over the sidewalks... again nothing, weird
    but u touch something, anything else solid and the car is doing loops...
    dont know why sometimes my car get stucked in the middle of the track(online) and I cant move for like 2-3 sec and naturally I get hit in the back if anyone is following... it like it was lagging but its not the image stays fluid

I'm sure it'll get better with other mods

13. Angus94

Angus94 Registered

first impressions, i dont have any yet because i dont know what i'm supposed to have in the mod, i downloaded the separate content the day it came out, dropped it into the Packages folder but i can only see the 60's open-wheelers, no meganes, or no Clio cars.

have i done something wrong or am i expecting too much or i have the process wrong.

i'm a lousy racer, couldnt race to save my life but i want to make mods but i cant do that unless i can sort out how and where things should be.

14. Nils

Nils Registered

initial impressions....
    ok, I start with the bad things: force feedback feels very good, but the rattling on curbs and grass is horrible. A real showstopper, I will not risk destroying my G25. lol, I could not understand a word in teamspeak yesterday, because from the guys with voice activation you only hear "ratatatatatatata" all the time.
    fps performance is very bad. In rf1 I had more than 200, I can play f.e. crysis on my machine with good framerates, but rf2 goes from 50 (alone on the track) down to 15 or so when starting a race on monaco. (dualcore @3000, 8 gig ram, nVidia 285 gtx)
    The hot air effect is way overdone. From swingman view it makes the cars look very low-res, all blurry and cheap.
    Mod installing is...well... different. I got it done quite quick, but I had to talk a lot of people through the process, seems to be difficult for some people.
    Cars and tracks are ok, well, we know that ISI is not famous for their own cars and physics. I like the vintage cars....
    HDR did not work when I checked the option in the config.exe, when I started it ingame it worked, but the effect is too strong (didn´t see a thing on Spa, all white and shiny)

What I like:
    The tires seem to be very good, temperatures are strange, from 20 deg to 120 and back to 30 in few seconds - not realistic, but per se the tire model is a big step forward.
    sounds... honk in the tunnel @ Monaco, very nice. Still searching the horse in Portugal :) goddamm, I thought one of my horses got out, but it was in the game.
    Weather: wow, I went through heavy rain and cold to hot and dry in a 10 minute race, this rocks! When this is ready (raindrops on the windows, actual aquaplaning etc) this will be a killer feature.

One negative thing still coming: I cant change the cameras? tried to extract the cam file and move it to where the .mas is - no effect. Tried to put it inside the .mas and the car wasn´t there anymore. This sucks! That´s one thing that made rf1 so good, you could customize the cams and headphysics to your own need. I want this back! Modders build their stuff on their machines, on my machine in some cars I can´t see a damn thing (weird FOV, swingman rotation around the rear axle and so on). Please please bring this back!

I don´t regret buying the lifetime membership, rf2 has big potential and WILL be very good once it´s ready.
    I won´t play it for now, because I can´t afford to buy a new wheel every two weeks.

In the end: good work ISI! Go on, finish it, take your time! Please listen to the community, even if it´s hard to sort out constructive feedback vs negative ranting, hehehe.

15. MinDBlanK

MinDBlanK Registered

I was doubting your MAX settings at your res claim....

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2012
  16. Tiger

Tiger Registered

well, a bit too early to say fine or not!
    but, as a first reflect of what I think, would be, " it's still a beta", let's give time to solve all problems and lacking of things...

anyway, I found (once ruled), that the ffb was fine and quite realistic!
    driving the f3.5 without aid was a performance!
    and finally thought that a dx11 would solve all graphics, coz, it still look "old" ...
    my 2cts

testing still going on...

17. jonneymendoza

jonneymendoza Registered

Will ISI release wekly builds to us like pcars?

18. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Everybody thinks the only way forward is DirectX 11.... OpenGL still has alot going for it

Either way it is up to the coders to make something use the rendering API's to its full potential. ISI is small and I would rather have the INSANE FFB that the EVE F2 has over blacker blacks and added SHINY. [​IMG]

19. Jux

Jux Registered

Clap, clap, clap ....

20. jonneymendoza

jonneymendoza Registered

Thats the type of graphics i expect from rf2