Post your initial impressions here

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mclaren777, Jan 10, 2012.

1. emilblixt

emilblixt Registered

As far as first impressions of the sim, I must say, even though knowing it is a beta, I´m completely underwhelmed.

Graphics look like Top Gear Rally on N64. Like painted with water color, and I guess this is a core feature that wont change much during the beta stage.

FPS -horrible, on low settings (i5 760 @ 3.8, 5870 @ 900, triple screen (1280x1024). )

FFB; vague and spongy. Feels like iRacing-like rattle has been coded over tracks with no topographic information.

I hope all of this is improved because as of now it feels ten years old.

2. RafBR

RafBR Registered

Great, great, great, great! I readed the tutorials (tracks mods) and now I played the game and I am very impressed. Few small issues don´t make me mad!
    Thanks ISI!

3. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Sure it may be doing more stuff in the background then other sims but even then it is only using %20 of my i5-2500K and I am still getting 30FPS. Something isn't right.

4. mikeyk1985

mikeyk1985 Registered

One of the few most intelligent comments in the whole thread, the rest is mostly, why is this unfinished game not finished yet???

5. NobbyRacing2012

NobbyRacing2012 Registered

So far I really do love rFactor 2 ... I think it was a good investment and it has real potenzial ...

- installation was easy ... no problems at all
    - installing the mod packages was a bit of issue for me at the begining ... but I read thru the forum and got it done ...
    - i haven't really played it yet ... just a couple of tries, but I am very happy so far ...

to the whole ISI Team so far you have done an awesome job ... keep up the good work ... :)

6. corsa

corsa Registered

I'm sure that's the case, especially since the front jack man doesn't get out of the way when it is time to go, you have to drive right through him. :)

It's not only a beta, but an early beta, so there is LOTS left undone, LOTS of small details that will be added later, and LOTS of optimization to be done.

7. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

So some feelings here mostly from a modders point of view.

Driving is much more fun than in rF1, and when some skilled modders get their hands in it I think it will again improve into new heights. But odd thing is, now that I took more time to check out the vehicle files, I see that there are not many improvements... And at this point I don't or maybe no one knows is there going to be any new features:

* turbo,
    * live front axle,
    * realistic engine startup sequence,
    * forced shifting with clutch (I know it is little dumb without FFB shifters, but still..) and YES you can shift into reverse at full speed without breaking anything...
    ...etc

This is not much asked, they are quite basic things or at least should be in racing simulator. Well maybe not the front live axle, but considering the suspension system in rF it should not be very difficult thing to incorporate. Generally I feel that way too much energy has gone into trying to improve still buggy graphic engine (yes I've already seen with original content that the same problems are there). At lest the rain/storm is very welcomed addition, and I think it is nicely done. But shadows flicker, textures Z-fight, there is not much hope again for tracks larger in their footprint than 8km.

Maybe I had too high hopes, the original QA thread about rF2 gave too much inspiration. I've only left with rain... And I am already happy to see even only working point2point if nothing else. But fortunately, alpha versions tend to improve with time unless management pulls the plug :)

8. DRat

DRat Registered

The initial experience has been very good so far, with the exception of the license purchase process - that is a separate thread though. Installation went well, and a quick test so far has shown only a few significant issues along with some minor ones (object clipping, flashing, etc.).

The biggest glitch seen here so far is a 5-second blank screen after several laps at Spa in an Eve F3, repeatable, accompanied by a 5-second freeze in the replay. Only the video is affected - the car continues under control until colliding with the terrain (blind is not a good way to drive at Spa). I've been tweaking video settings but no change yet. The installation is Win7x64 w/4GB DRAM, video card GTX-260, video driver version 8.17.12.8579. Settings were at 1680x1050, 60Hz, AA Level 4, no HDR. Frame rate has been in the range of 50-100 fps. GPU loading has stayed under 75%.

Also, the untweaked HDR is grossly oversaturated and it is not possible to drive with it enabled (there are other reports of this).

On replays after damaging the car, the damage appears throughout the replay instead of only after it actually occurred.

My G25 FFB feels great with the 60's cars, and seems just a bit strong on the Formula Renault cars. The Megane FFB is not too strong but is just way too rough. If it could be smoothed a bit to do away with the heavy chatter on kerbs and off course on grass that would help. I do expect a bit of steering wheel chatter and twitch when I put the car (any car) at speed into a fence, shrubbery, or hay bale, though.

Thanks for a great public beta!

9. elwood

elwood Registered

First impression is quite good for a beta.
    Actually i drove the F2 everywere except Sepang and the feeling was immediate, gently slides, controlled power oversteer.
    Under the hood there is a lot of potential indeed and i'm really happy with this FFB (but tune down the jolt on gravel and grass, too high as noticed by many users)

Actually i can't feel the limit because i don't ear the tire squeal even at high angles of drift(?).
    I feel it from the steer not from the headphones. I don't know if it's my audio rig or something to fix yet.

Anyway i'm positive, definitively.

Some odd effect by new shadow system, on trees, on cockpit and under the car, expecially in replays, the shadow under the car appear too close to the cam.

I feel the lack of a FWD car.

For developers, i've read the .pdf on what to do on tracks, some rework, not a problem, different methods but i hope in future, something more detailed like a slice of a track in .max (like rF1) and some sort of templates. But right now i don't feel any rush.

Right now, i want to dig this beta and look carefully what can do, closer.

Cheers ISIs... thanks for this stuff. :cool:

10. MagnusD

MagnusD Registered

I am completely blown away!!!!

I cant describe how happy I am!!! Few games makes me laugh, and this is one of many few!! I had so much fun doing just half a lap around Monaco in the 60's F1 that my whole body is shaking with joy!!:D:D:D:D

hahaha this is where I ended up when I took Massenet waaaay to fast! hahaha
    GRAB_000.JPG

The only thing Im missing is the ISI-intro video when starting the game!:rolleyes:

11. Nibo

Nibo Registered

Tire temperatures really behave strange. It seems impossible too warm up tires. I can overheat them to 100-120 degrees by abusing wheel turn angle in turns, but as soon as I straighten the wheel tire temperatures drop to 40 in 1-2 seconds.

I hope we will get constant updates in upcoming months with physics, "real road" and weather features updated and completed.

12. Syonco

Syonco Registered

Right, new wheel -- new tests! Hooked up the ECCI-7000, and i'm having some issues, i remember having this problem in rFactor 1 too.. The wheel pulls to either side, impossible to keep straight. As soon as i start steering either direction it's like it's helping me big-time by pulling the wheel.. And no steering assist is not on! :p Anyone has any ideas? :D

13. Cellux

Cellux Registered

I tried my best to like what I see, slept one night, tried again, but didn't manage.

FFB is easily worst I seen in any sim, rattling overwhelms any chance of feel for the car. Barely tolerable performance with medium/high settings, on a machine that runs project CARS - and any other games - easily at 60+ fps on max settings. Inconvenient UI.

May give it a try later with a demo, but since i don't know how it will become in the end - and when, for now this is a disappointing refund request.

14. Simon Roberts

Simon Roberts Registered

I dont know what to think at the moment, on the one hand the Classic Cars are a lot of fun and the tracks looks pretty good to me and have a real vintage feel, but on the other i think the rest looks very poor graphics wise, the interior of the Megane's looks amateurish and the physics just dont feel right, i think ive bee spoilt with the feel and look of iRacing for a while so this looks and feel quite poor.

Only plus point i can see at the moment is the weather and the FFB which i think is very good indeed.

15. kosmo1982

kosmo1982 Registered

Well, at first i wasn't very impressed with Rf2 beta. Spend most of the time looking for right balance between quality and performance and started with renault megane and formula renault and they arent as good as those old F1 cars. It seems ISI has put extra effort in making those old F1 cars. 68 F1 car feels great , has great FFB and even its cockpit looks 3 times better than cockpits of other cars in game. With this car Rf2 shows its potential.
    As for performance it seems that HDR, environment & road reflections are killing fps at this moment. After disabling them i can play in 1980x1200, with level 1 AA & mix of full, high and medium settings on my not really great pc. It looks ok that way and there arent much jaggies.

16. kevman_101

kevman_101 Registered

This is something that I first saw in iRacing and absolutely LOVE. Is it possible to have the spotter sounds be on a separate sound card or device? I run the car audio on my PC speakers and the spotter on my headset, so even if I crank the games sounds, I can still have a clear sounding spotter in my ears. This is something that should become standard in a racing sim.

17. Anonim

Anonim Registered

my first impressions are GREAT!
    it seems like an advanced Game stock car to me!
    AMAZING FFB feeling! Superb handling and good graphics!
    I have some minor issues with mirrors and smokes! rare stuttering issues and in 3d vision it looks simply stunning!!!!
    thank you ISI!!!!

18. kosmo1982

kosmo1982 Registered

now that i have my fps smooth i tried Megane again and i must say its great. New physics feel great, especially when you drive on the edge its starts to show how much better it is than rf1. simply great!

19. Hendrix

Hendrix Registered

I'm impressed so far. The new tire model definitely has a learning curve to it. One thing that I would like to see, is to have the basic setup sliders return. One of the things that I loved about rF1, being able to dial in my car fairly quickly using the sliders, and then tweaking actual components from that point to fine tune my setup. Bring back the sliders guys!

20. jaykop

jaykop Registered

I think with the development of rfactor 2 beta and the future mods this is going. To be the number 1 sim racer you just watch in next 12 to 18 months ....