Post your initial impressions here

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mclaren777, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Guilherme Faustini

Guilherme Faustini Registered

Formulas Classic, SPA and Monaco are WONDEFUL !!! Physics and FFB, the best I've seen in my life... And the tracks are great too... It feels alive...

Megane is ok, FFB need some work... FRenault is horrible, FFB is very weird, horrible sound.

Rfactor2 for me is driving formulas around monaco or SPA... THE BEST EXPERIENCE EVER!!! The rest didnt really excited me...

2. MarcusarilliuS_IRL

MarcusarilliuS_IRL Registered

q9550@3.82ghz
    4gb corsair dominator 1800mhz
    Evga gtx280 hc16 (1gb)

Everything maxed except shadows-high, shadow blur-off, sun occlusion-off, track reflections-off and environment reflections-off.

Decided to disable HDR as it has issues at the moment. Makes things look too bright and hits performance too much for the little it adds.
    I think some things look nicer without it actually.

Tried really heavy rain with and without HDR with the vintage F1's at SPA and the difference was 20-30fps in some parts of the track.
    Without HDR it was locked solid 60fps even in the pits.

As it's in beta these things are to be expected I guess, but framerate needs to be optimized a lot in some areas, especially with HDR enabled.

I also noticed the strange glitch on track that I noticed in the spa preview video that was shown ages ago. 30-40 meters ahead on the track there seems to be a lighter coloured patch, seems to be draw distance related. It is at the same distance and doesn't move. seems to be where the detail is being draw in possibly??

3. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

I think they probably dont have a dedicated interface programmer and that has ment that they have had the artists simply work with the old interface as best possable and then have the coder make some small changes when he/she has had time.

I belive ISI should hire a specifc interface programmer and a specifc Interface artist/Designer not as full time staff but contractualy Just to produce a New interface. Worse case they could just Hire a designer/artist to come up with a solid new lay out and a windows interface document and plan it all and then code that up with there existing team when more important fetures are compleat.
    ( having said that I dont know there budget , manigment style , code base, work flow, or annything and its easy to say what dev teams should or should not be doing when you are not on the inside of a project )

They seem to have the game set up for reskinning so thats always going to be an option for the comunity but the fundimental workings of the UI seem to be a total mess and an out of game full launcher would sute RF2 much better.

4. breeze55a

breeze55a Registered

I just got it going and I love it, The tire squeal is more authentic, I love the tranny whine. It looks great feels great, I love the ffb, I dont think its overdone, I would think that if I took my real car over a bumb or curb and if it was tuned as stiff as race cars, this is what it feel like. Keep up the good work.

5. O11

O11 Registered

ZOMG, have to get ready to go to school in three hours.

It was fun. Waiting for the track to give you grip and stuff was really interesting.

Now: sleep.

6. Malik

Malik Registered

I would say first impression is that the handling is much mor realistic...and the menu system seems to be much better....i cant wait for full weather effects....and im glad more changes to the car can be made in cockpit...I have only about 2 hours in so i still want to see. One thing graphically that is there that I was hoping would not is the fact that i could see the grass and smoke comming through the car floor...that really bothers me

7. blaknift

blaknift Registered

Game is awesome, Performance isnt very well optimized for my system yet. Oh, and the trainers and josevill are fun too. ;)

8. smbrm

smbrm Registered

I have a quad core 6600 2.4GHz and a Nvidea GTS8800 video card with Windows XP32 and 2 megs of RAM. Anyone tried a configurations at the minimum spec. level?

Interested in some feedback?

cheers

Ya 2 gigs of Ram, fingers faster than the brain!

Wondering how well it works near the bottom rung of the ladder?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2012
  9. murorder

murorder Registered

Game sux, why you might ask, i cant play it. its keeps "not responding". I'm sure it will be good but as for first impressions, well ill let u guess.

10. smbrm

smbrm Registered

What is the rest of your system like?

11. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

I can understand people complaining about the UI (for one I'd want a test session button somewhere in there), but remember that the system is very modular, and the UI can eventually be changed for pretty much whatever the modders can think of.

12. Jeremy Miller

Jeremy Miller Former ISI Senior Programmer

I have a test machine here that is very similar (its actually the machine I am using right now) with a AMD Phenom II 810 (very similar to Kentsfield Q6600 in terms of performance) and the 8800 GTS (G92) but I have 8 GB of RAM. It would be best to stay away from high resolutions and set most things to low or off. If performance is ok then start turning things on that are most important to you and take a look at performance. Generally speaking the start of race is the most demanding on the graphics engine so you might want to test that condition when testing these settings.

The simulation will run on the hardware I mentioned above and I know of another ISI engineer that runs on 2GB but you have to tune your video setting proportionality to what resources you have on your machine.

13. kc2hse

kc2hse Registered

This would be awesome if my old dinosaur could handle it. Until I can afford to upgrade my computer I can't see spending the $ on this. Refund requested.

14. Rodrigo Pires

Rodrigo Pires Registered

Don´t know if anyone noticed it (didn´t read the previous posts)

But aren´t the tire temps too low? I took the Megane around spa at night... they settle down around 34ºC and stay there... if i lockup they heat up (around 120º) but quickly goes back to 30 or something.

Maybe i drank too many beers....

15. NoobRacer

NoobRacer Registered

only brief time spent for initial impressions ... off to work now :(

- whole purchase and install process worked flawlessly for me
    - G27 feels quite good from the start, no other sim has given me that
    - even on my 3rd world super dodgy connection i can race online, much respect for your net code, got disconnected, but honestly i expected to never even connect and sync even briefly
    - you may or may not care, but the small, windowed, splash screen before entering the game in fullscreen has an outdated copyright date on it :)

16. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

The temps do seem a bit weird, it's almost like the temps only go up when the wheels are sliding (locking brakes, spinning the rears, under/oversteering), but not when being otherwise loaded. Like everything that is supposed to be warming up the tyre isn't turned on. For example it seems doubtful to me that as long as I keep my steering input low and don't give too much gas, the outside tyres can actually cool down significantly while exiting a corner.

Well, won't be long until they've tackled it.

17. richiespeed13

richiespeed13 Registered

+1 tyre temps slightly odd!

18. Lars Strijdonck

Lars Strijdonck Registered

ISI got me smiling :) Need to find a balance for fps and the wheel but the tracks feel alive live the old 60's car rock's. Also the floating rF 1 feel is gone, way more connected to the car and track.
    Going the be a long evening of testing after work to test with it more.

I can see his getting tuned into a great platform.

19. Christopher Snow

Christopher Snow Registered

The extended "startup sequence" has GOT to go!

The nonsensical extended startup was already annoying enough in rF1, but it's doubly awful seeing it again here. Four or more blips of the throttle (when I'm not blipping it at all even once?) Ok...maybe my mechanic is back there, flipping the butterfly on my carburator...but he won't be out there blipping it four times if I stall it out on the track, will he? No!

So PLEASE give us the option to turn it off (and I would bet dollars to donuts 99% of the drivers would too, given the choice).

[Or? Give us TWO startup sequences--one for the first time in the pits (mechanics blipping the throttles) and a second (FASTER) one for when we've spun out on the track.

The last thing anyone in that situation would be doing is blipping the throttle over and over.
    No...he'd be trying to get out of there, in a near panic (as I would). Start, fire, then GAS it and save your life, etc....

----

Philosophically, I'm either in complete control of my car, or I am not...and it's already just tedious only the second time through to have to "guess" at what point I suddenly am in control (instead of "not quite yet").

Let me stab the starter button, get it re-fired, and then give me complete control of the car...immediately!

[^ All that said (thanks for listening)...I'm hoping there is a simple 1/0 toggle for this option already. If so, please point me at it!]

CS

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2012
  20. smbrm

smbrm Registered

Thanks Jeremy, this info really helps and sounds like it might be workable. I guess your 8gigs of ram means you are also using something other than Windows XP? More ram and an appropriate operating system can always be added, but then it may be better to invest that money in a new machine. But it would be nice to try it out! I remember buying previous racing sims and trying with hardware on the edge of minimum with less than thrilling results. Hopefully others will share their performance perceptions relative to lower end hardware.

cheers
    Stephen