A question for Gjon about the dev team

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mclaren777, Jan 10, 2012.

1. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I'm lucky I have dark blonde hair so those greys just blend in. ;) Na, not much sleep, active mind.

2. Cellux

Cellux Registered

"the forums would have been made live this morning, not last year"
    Being a developer myself I'm curious: Don't you feel the forums provided valuable input for the direction of development? I would assume opening development process to some extent can be more efficient, than keeping it closed until the end. Of course I guess community feedback becomes much more valuable when some product is actually out. Has the developer team at any stage considered releasing some sort of alpha, like they do in Project CARS?

As for the forums troubles, from what i saw as an outsider, the main issue was communicating estimates that were not pessimistic enough, not starting forums too early. Some people don't think and act as grown ups unfortunately, but they're a minority, however loud they can be. :)

3. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

It isn't actually even alpha yet, still firmly in pre-alpha. Personally I wouldn't even rate a solitaire game when it's about 12% done, let alone a simulator. What I see at the moment is immense promise, and know that the people behind it can and have done great sims in the past. Just enjoying the ride. =)

And good point about AC too, if it weren't from nKP I'd have a hard time believing they'd really come out with anything. A great year for sim racing this, rF2, pCARS, AC, GTR3, the long awaited release of the new tyre model for LFS (hey, one can dream :))...

4. Jan Duin

Jan Duin Registered

Was looking for some kind of “official appreciation” thread, but I guess this is the best place at the moment.

Sooo to the entire development team: thanks for all your hard work! I’m sure rF2 will have the same impact on the sim racing community like rF had!!

5. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

When the beta becomes publicly available, is there any likelihood that more of them will start participating on the forums?

We will surely have detailed questions about various systems (FFB, graphics, etc) and it would be nice to talk to the people who developed those aspects of the game.

6. Michael Juliano

Michael Juliano Track Team

I would think you may see a few more of them after the beta is released and their schedule settles down a little bit. On the flip side Luc and I may be around less as we'll be ramping back up to get the next round of beta mods out.

Yes, a two man environment team trying to achieve what Luc and I have done is... stressful... at times. My goal for the environments was that they are convincing while you're in the cockpit turning laps. We didn't have time to worry about how everything looked from every angle. Your office is the cockpit, and that's will you'll be 90% of the time, so that's where we focused. If, while you're fighting for 5th position, or trying to gain just one more tenth of a second to move up the starting grid, you forget you're driving a sim and feel connected to what you're seeing around you then we achieved our goal.

Now, do we WANT to achieve more--hell yes. The beauty of rF2 is that we can continue to develop, polish, and expand everything long after we release the 1st gold build--we plan on it. It's going to be a fun ride :)

And, by the way, my first name is Michael. I go by Scott normally...

7. zemaniac

zemaniac Registered

you guys are awesome :)

8. F1lover

F1lover Registered

@ Michael (Scott) Juliano.. Birmingham is still my Favorite rF track :)....

9. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Is that a Southern thing? One half of my wifes family is from Alabama and they do the same.

10. Michael Juliano

Um... I'm originally from the East Coast, so no :p

11. Michael Juliano

Cheers for that :). Yeah--I think it deserves an upgrade... ;)

12. Jeremy Miller

Jeremy Miller Former ISI Senior Programmer

One of the reason ISI does a fine job with fewer people is we trust people to take of their own business. Seems like those that post here are doing a pretty good job so I feel no need to duplicate their work.

13. shum94

shum94 Registered

Habu :p

Bring T Bone and we're good for a nice discussion around ffb and netcode with you and physics with him.

14. guod

guod Registered

Congrats development team!

Special thanks to Tim, Scott, and of course Gjon for providing info and support for the SimHQ Preview.

Time to go toss some old formula cars around Spa. :)

15. Jeroen V.

Jeroen V. Registered

For developing rFactor 2 did you make use of the Scrum methodology? I work at an IT department as a technical designer. We started using Scrum, and have achieved a higher degree of quality and productivity.

16. Cygnific

Cygnific Registered

Thats why the "big" companies never get their game devs on the forums :) People online tend to say things louder (and i say that mildly) then in person. I would not make a problem out of it. Dont reply to people who overreact and ban them if needed. And some people are just to passionate about stuff. Anyway, it is nice to see you guys replying and being active.

17. Birddogg66

Birddogg66 Registered

Okay as to update this thread on what is of today and what was mentioned with pCARS Yes it has great graphics and I am getting 77fps the lags are all but fixed they are still fine tuning a bit but it is very good!! Will I take anything away from either team NO!!! They have done a lot of work together and are friends!!! As far as pCARS being licensed ISI technologies I do not think that is the case. While the Madness engine may be related to graphics the only thing I see that may link them physics wise is Doug Arnao who goes way back with Gjon and Ian. What else I can say and I really don't know the reason for it cause it is not a game wide situation is the very poor frame rates I have experienced in rF2 on tracks like Mills. Spa is perfectly fine!! I don't get it this is still the gMotor2 graphics engine and I would have thought it would have been perfected by now? gMotor3? Soon?

18. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

Will testers like Julia Grace eventually be included in the rF2 credits?

Youtube

19. Avigrace

Avigrace Registered

I wish more people would read this post, we would have a far nicer forum methinks

20. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Think Ill quote mr PLAYLIFE from an other thread that sums it up for me

"You guys (ISI) have personally got involved with the community by chatting to us and taking onboard our feedback (and so on and so forth) and so some of us (if not all!) have confidence in what you guys say. There's no bs and publicity talk and I can say that it feels like we're talking with human beings rather than simply PR machines."

Congrats all:D